HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
The important thing is never fly circles around yourself, that is why you stand back and fly in front of yourself.
Good advice. Also, be careful around other people that don't follow this rule.

I was actually checking into a few local indoor flying events. I was watching a video posted of one of the local indoor flying nights, and the first thing I noticed was some dude in the middle of the court, flying his heli in circles while chasing it on foot and trying to keep it in control as it circled around behind and away from him.

Not only will I not be checking out that indoor group in person, if I HAD been there I would have packed my things and left as soon as I saw that.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Owww. Read nano-cpx, and hospital and thought "he had to have hit himself in the eye", pretty sure that is the only way a nano could hurt you that bad. Bet you won't try flying behind your head again! Hope it heals completely, sounds like it will.
I've only wacked myself in the shoulder and arm with the nano so far, and that was after hitting throttle hold and it was a fairly sharp sting!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:46 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
It's been almost 48 hours since it happened and it seems to be getting better all the time. I'm able to actually see out of it much better now, I can read things like signs, but small print, cell phone digits, what I'm typing now on the computer, forget it. But I was able to read at a 20/40 level on the wall with that eye, way better than not being able to even see the wall lol.
I am glad to hear this. You are doing much better than I thought. Perhaps I am to sensitive, but I am a qualified doctor and had a botched Lasik surgery that took 4 years before it was fixed. So I know this can be much more complicated than what it sounds. I hope that you will be able to make a complete recovery soon. In the meantime, you must avoid getting an infection in that eye as well as avoiding strenuous work. Anyway, please keep us updated on your progress.

For cases like this, I would definitely refrain from lying in a A/E department concerning an accident like this. You could have problems later on if you claim insurance. For more complicated case, medical costs could be in the region of tens of thousands of dollars. Also if a product defect is involved, it could affect your chances of claims against the manufacturer.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:46 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
4 years? Wow, that must have been horrible!
I took this pic with my cell phone, as you can see both blades hit me, one lower part of the eye and one in the center. The lower part shows well but because my eyes are dark you can't see the damage in the center but its the same type of strike right across the lens. Also you can see that cut on my nose next to the eye, that cut is very telling of how close it came to being worse. My nose acted as a blocker stopping the blade. If the heli was half an inch over, it would have been the end of the blade and nothing to stop it. Considering I was bleeding all down my face from that cut on the nose, it really shows the potential of this little nano to do even worse damage to the eye.

You can see the stains of the dyes they used on my face. Its not that im dirty lol. That stuff doesnt come off.
Tonight it's even better. I still can't read small print but the fogginess is less and more things are visible. Huge improvement each day.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Last edited by Kawi; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I am glad to hear this. You are doing much better than I thought. Perhaps I am to sensitive, but I am a qualified doctor and had a botched Lasik surgery that took 4 years before it was fixed. So I know this can be much more complicated than what it sounds. I hope that you will be able to make a complete recovery soon. In the meantime, you must avoid getting an infection in that eye as well as avoiding strenuous work. Anyway, please keep us updated on your progress.

For cases like this, I would definitely refrain from lying in a A/E department concerning an accident like this. You could have problems later on if you claim insurance. For more complicated case, medical costs could be in the region of tens of thousands of dollars. Also if a product defect is involved, it could affect your chances of claims against the manufacturer.
It was a joke. No offense man, things don't work here the way you think they do. Regardless, it was a joke. Meant to bring a smile to a guy who had a crappy moment he wishes he could take back.

Maybe, if you'd had more humor about it, your own eye horror wouldn't have been quite so horrible.

Either way, you've taken a joke far too seriously, and are analyzing it way too much. Breath a little - OP laughed. I laughed. Get over it. I'm going to guess, based on locations, that it's a difference in culture you're not quite understanding.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
For cases like this, I would definitely refrain from lying in a A/E department concerning an accident like this. You could have problems later on if you claim insurance.
Another note: Doctoring must be different in HK. Here you're covered or you aren't. It's based on the treatment, and the level of need. Whether you're at fault, or how it happened, do not matter. And anything you tell an ER doc is confidential, requiring release to be shared with your insurer. Who, again, don't care what you did or how you did it.

Sounds like in your country healthcare works like auto insurance.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:53 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
4 years? Wow, that must have been horrible!
It is not that I had 4 years of treatments. It is that I had to wait 4 years before the technology for treating it became available and was approved. Nowadays, the technology is much more advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Another note: Doctoring must be different in HK. Here you're covered or you aren't. It's based on the treatment, and the level of need. Whether you're at fault, or how it happened, do not matter. And anything you tell an ER doc is confidential, requiring release to be shared with your insurer. Who, again, don't care what you did or how you did it.

Sounds like in your country healthcare works like auto insurance.
Most people are uninsured here and don't need to be as there is universal health care here. Although patients may be required to cover some costs in certain situations. Some do buy "accident" or "serious illnesses" insurance to top things up. Very few buy full medical insurance as you in the US. Of course hospitals are not allowed to release patient's information without the consent of the patient. But the insurers will refuse to pay if they do not have this information. Still I just don't see why you should lie about it.
Last edited by zadaw; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Still I just don't see why you should lie about it.
Do they have jokes in Hong Kong? Dry humor? Laughing at your own injured pride?

Yikes.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:22 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
Quote:
Do they have jokes in Hong Kong? Dry humor? Laughing at your own injured pride?

Yikes.
I would not be in the mood of laughing when there is a real chance that I could become blind, or be severe visually impaired. suffer years of treatment, pay tens of thousands of dollars of fees, even lost the ability to work. That was how serious that type of injury was. Please don't expect everybody to react in the same way. Some people like gallows humor and some don't.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
I've had a couple close calls with my Blade 400, the closest was tail in hovering practice in the front yard, about 10ft in front of me 3ft off the ground. A bug flying around my face distracted me for just a moment, next thing i know I see a 2ft disc of carbon fiber coming straight at my neck. Needless to say if a bug starts messing with me the heli is landed before any attempt to rectify the situation. I've had all sorts of people stop to watch/ask questions, I immediately land and ask them to stay behind me and not ask me anything while its in the air.

Good to hear your eye is getting better, now let it heal fully so ya can fly again.
SRWitt is offline Find More Posts by SRWitt
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Just today I was flying my v911 not as powerful as a cp but I turned around when looked back the blades were inches from my eyes i said to myself damn that was close.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:38 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2002
49 Posts
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread with my own story. I thought, on top of your story, it might remind myself and everyone else who is reading to take extra precaution with toy/hobby helicopters.

I have a close call about two months ago. I had been flying the V120D02s for about five months and I could do nose in, inverted hover and circle, and crappy tic-toc.

I thought to myself, it is time to graduate to a bigger heli and more wind resistance in the windy winter months in HK. I got myself a Tarot 450 and G31 gyro.

I was setting the gyro up at home and the heli is next to my computer desk and after some lengthy steps, I wanted to save the settings I'd done so far and I could not find the save button from the program interface, I thought it should be like other programs, quitting it and it'd ask you to save. Wrong move and with the fact I violated the very first utmost important rule of setting up heli, is to disconnect the motor. This is not an excuse, but the connectors are inside the frame and I was too anxious to get it ready for test flight. Once I quited the program, the gyro rebooted and in the ready to fly mode.

Long story short, this is what happened to my desk, the large scratch is from the tail blade holders, I believe and the two cut, like chopped by a butcher knife. I could have been hit in the skull, face or eye. It is a daily reminder when I sit by the computer desk. To this day, I still have not flown the new heli yet. May be, suggestion from a fellow flyer, after I changed the desk !

Good luck and a speedy recover.
GoElectric is offline Find More Posts by GoElectric
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
I would not be in the mood of laughing when there is a real chance that I could become blind, or be severe visually impaired. suffer years of treatment, pay tens of thousands of dollars of fees, even lost the ability to work. That was how serious that type of injury was. Please don't expect everybody to react in the same way. Some people like gallows humor and some don't.
Dude, DROP IT. The injured found it funny. You're in the minority. I wouldn't have even made the joke if OP hadn't already said he was recovering well.

You're really bugging me now. Worst part is you clearly didn't get the joke.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:15 AM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,117 Posts
Safety glasses Sun or clear Is my rule. You never know when a blade is coming. I often check my tracking by hovering it up to eye level a few feet away. I always have a fear a blade or grip is going to let go and I shiver....Even with safety glasses on it's spooky. the High head speeds run on my Trex it would be like some one throwing a knife you.
Spookeay is online now Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
Quote:
Dude, DROP IT. The injured found it funny. You're in the minority. I wouldn't have even made the joke if OP hadn't already said he was recovering well.

You're really bugging me now. Worst part is you clearly didn't get the joke.
You are the person who keeps on bringing this up again and again. You are the one who is being extremely sensitive about this. I would have dropped it long ago.