HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:48 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
If possible pls post a nice close up injury picture to drive your message home.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 AM
Houston
Joined Oct 2006
251 Posts
Few more reports from doctors like that and OSHA will demand they come with PPE, ie goggles.

You were lucky. The flash on the edge of the blade from the mold can be razor sharp. I've sliced my fingers enough from propping over glow engines.
Tail Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Tail Wheel
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:24 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Wheel View Post
Few more reports from doctors like that and OSHA will demand they come with PPE, ie goggles.
Will you be required to have a license to use a straight razor?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:01 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
762 Posts
My mom worked in the ER for years when I was a kid. Gunshots and eye injuries always go to the front of the line, no matter how busy they are, and no matter how severe the injury seems. Even a seemingly minor eye injury can result in total vision loss; they're such sensitive organs.

Glad to hear you should regain full eyesight again. A laceration across the lens is a pretty major deal.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
A couple of bucks from Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.
Clear plastic SAFETY goggles....
If you're gonna fly...they're a MUST, IMHO.....
And this story proves it!!
dasBlade300X is offline Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:56 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Thanks for all the wishes guys, I haven't been on the computer much, it's very frustrating to type with one eye, today I had my first appointment with the ophthalmologist since he first saw me, he said everything is healing fine, the cuts are coming together, there was a bit more pressure in that eye, there's still lots of blood in there but he said when the blood clots clear up it will be able to flush itself better. It's been almost 48 hours since it happened and it seems to be getting better all the time. I'm able to actually see out of it much better now, I can read things like signs, but small print, cell phone digits, what I'm typing now on the computer, forget it. But I was able to read at a 20/40 level on the wall with that eye, way better than not being able to even see the wall lol. Everything is just foggy. Picture one of those nights where it's foggy everywhere and any light has a halo around it, it's exactly like that. He stressed over and over that I cannot do anything strenuous at all, he was very adamant on that so I think I'm gonna really listen. He said if the cut opens up and it bleeds, that's going to be very bad. I'm guessing he means surgery so I'm not lifting anything more than my coffee cup. I can do without surgery in the eye right now, makes me queezy just thinking about it.

To the guy who said I should've said a more manly accident happened, I laughed at that because believe it or not, I was actually very cognizant of what I was gonna say to them before they asked, pain or no pain. I know it shouldn't matter but I was a bit embarrassed to say I was playing with a helicopter and I drove it right into my own eye. I didn't want to make any list of "top ten stupidest ways to injure yourself" on the hospital staff wall lol. So when I was first asked I did say it was a helicopter, but I was kinda careful to describe it as it came from behind and I didn't see it, kinda painting a picture of me innocently standing there and some kid flew his helicopter into me . It was true after all, it did come from behind. BUT FEAR NOT! My wife was MORE than willing to set the record straight. Not directly of course as to make me look like I was lying, but she caught on right away and was more than comfortable in "clarifying" this picture I was painting with such things as, "yeah, it wasn't one of those toys meant for kids either, it was one of those more powerful hobby store helicopters." (That's what I get for having taught her the difference so many times.) or, "yeah him and his hobbies)

You see, my story sort of inadvertently put the blame on our son, and we just couldn't have that!

Anyway, to the guy who said never take your eye off the heli, truer words have never been spoken. My eye was off it for less than one full second. That's how long it took me to turn my head the other way. However I don't think wearing safety goggles is realistic, by all means do it if you want, it is much safer, maybe when bench testing inside or something, but lets face it, if we take the utmost safety measures in everything we do every day, we would never get anything done. Just don't fly close to your face, don't ever have it hovering at your eye level, you never know what could fly off, and just fly with your finger on the throttle cut with enough distance and I think that's plenty safe. Sometimes I would show off and have a heli hovering inverted right in front of me, and I've done it with bigger choppers, never again. How stupid was that? More importantly though, never fly around small children, even with these micros.

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:51 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
"Don't worry doctor, as soon as I get home we're taking the helicopter away from junior"...

Smart thinking man. I've got tears rolling down my face. Very funny.

My fiance smashed her hand in a car door a year ago. We were headed home after a nice day out and she slammed the door hard, right on her index finger. Broke the bone, gushing blood, and the nail was hanging off. She calmly rode to the hospital, and waited to be treated.

When one of the nurses came in and went, "Oh gee, how did THAT happen!?" she immediately replied,

"Bar fight".
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:09 PM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Yikes! Makes me think sometimes that micros may be a little too cute for their own good , a little too toy like. I think there's something good to be said about bigger helis because they demand respect when learning. Accidents happen but fewer people feel like they can fool about with a 450.

Anyways, get better and invest in some good sunglasses or ppe. Many claim to put blood sweat and tears into this hobby but now you can one up them all!
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. It's a real reality check. Glad you are on the mend.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
good to know you are recovering well after this unwanted accident. it takes a really big man to share this (to the entire world) getting hit by a "toy" and not a fictional "weedwhacker"...

i hope this traumatic experience will not needlessly put RC in a bad light as well. i've been in the hobby for almost 20 years with a very stringent safety regimen...

if you do intend to fly again, please bear in mind that it becomes even more confusing to fly anything that is in constant motion if you the pilot are also in constant motion! i guess this holds true for anything micro or giant scale.

ideally you ALWAYS want to do the flying in front of you and nowhere beside or even worse, behind you! and don't even let it get out of your sight for a moment's notice especially when you are not in a hovering mode or it will bite when you least expect...

i do not wish to add insult to injury, but i hope this will send a strong message across to everyone in the hobby. these things we have come to love and enjoy are not exactly toys, they command a lot of respect and responsibility from us the pilots.
hawk01 is offline Find More Posts by hawk01
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk01 View Post
good to know you are recovering well after this unwanted accident. it takes a really big man to share this (to the entire world) getting hit by a "toy" and not a fictional "weedwhacker"...
Fictional? A flybarless helicopter is most definitely an inverted weed-whacker. And will do the same kind of damage.

Some people manage to miss the humor, and the point, of the entire situation. Luckily OP isn't one of em.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:41 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
very sorry to hear that that happened to you

thankyou very much for sharing this too - I think it's good to be reminded of the hazzard

I remember when I first got mine I spooled up with it in my hand and it bit me and left quite a welt. But you forget so quickly and yeah I can be a bit careless flying this thing.

It will make me more careful in future
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:12 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,182 Posts
my eyes were watering as I read this. Ive never cut my eye but come close. I hope you get your full vision back bro.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:51 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah it seems to be getting better, it's this stupid fog that won't go away, can't see the details of things. It's like trying to look through a shower curtain. Once the "newness" of the injury wears off, it starts getting old fast. It's quite debilitating in your daily life. I can't imagine the horror that people who have lost their vision in accidents must go through.

To the poster that said if I ever do fly these again, absolutely, I'm not until I get some 3d vision back though but I'm way too into it to stop. I have a lot of planes too so the trauma won't be that far reaching lol. The more I think about it, the more I shudder to think of all the times I did this "go around" maneuver with the 130x, in idle up that thing would have cut right through my eye.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:53 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident but relieved that your vision will get better.
The important thing is never fly circles around yourself, that is why you stand back and fly in front of yourself. Even if you are not an AMA member it might be good to read the safety rules written by the AMA, they are chock full of great safety rules.
I have had my fill of close calls and deep cuts with a few of my 450 helis, luckily I have a very close eye (no pun intended) on my larger helis and they recieve total respect at all times.
Good luck and better flying in the future,
DT
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom