HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:34 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
What are the specs on the BL motors? Are they 28mm inrunners? That was the easiest swap that I could find to the stock mounts. Unfortunately, inrunners are less popular these days and they tend to be spendy because of that fact.
The stock motor mounts of the TwinStar II are compatible with 28mm outrunners, like the PERMAX BL-O 2830-1100 for example. All it takes is a slighty modified bulkhead - as provided in the brushless set for the TS II or the MiniMag BL.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:44 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The stock motor mounts of the TwinStar II are compatible with 28mm outrunners, like the PERMAX BL-O 2830-1100 for example. All it takes is a slighty modified bulkhead - as provided in the brushless set for the TS II or the MiniMag BL.

Jürgen
Have you tried it?

I have attempted to run outrunners and I found that if the outside diameter of an outrunner motor is 28mm or greater, you will have to trim the mount.

The modification not a big deal but to say they're compatible is misleading.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,944 Posts
How about something between a Deuces Wild (in foam of course) and the current TS2?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:23 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,481 Posts
Quote:
How about something between a Deuces Wild (in foam of course) and the current TS2?
Here you go:

Dynam Grand Cruiser (Really a Cessna 310)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...-eretract.html

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Here you go:

Dynam Grand Cruiser (Really a Cessna 310)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...-eretract.html

Mike
That's actually pretty close! Now if it was less compromised for scale appearance (as we see with MPX designs), had Multiplex levels of quality, I think we'd be in business.

Has anyone flown the Grand Cruiser? How does it handle? Can it be hot rodded?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,481 Posts
Pretty close to what? You asked opinions and you got mine. Not sure what you mean?

It flies fine and handles great. As with any plane you are welcome to update the power system to deliver more power. The better question is - is it needed. I don't believe it is.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:47 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Have you tried it?

I have attempted to run outrunners and I found that if the outside diameter of an outrunner motor is 28mm or greater, you will have to trim the mount.

The modification not a big deal but to say they're compatible is misleading.
No, I have not tried it. I am happy with the stock Permax 400.

Multiplex however does not mention any modifications apart from a different bulkhead and if that would not be the case, the RC forums would be full with unsatisfied customers.

Other companies also offer 28mm outrunners and emphasize that no change in the stock motor mounts is required:

http://www.natterer-modellbau.de/sho...-II::7386.html

I never wrote anything about outrunners >28mm.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:52 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Pretty close to what? You asked opinions and you got mine. Not sure what you mean?

It flies fine and handles great. As with any plane you are welcome to update the power system to deliver more power. The better question is - is it needed. I don't believe it is.

You said: "Here you go" and I assumed that this was a suggestion based on my Deuces Wild post. Sure enough, it's a foam plane that bears resemblence to the Deuces Wild.

Maybe I misunderstood the intent of your post. If so, what did you mean?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:01 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
They make a add on for that. Not multiplex but someone else.
Has a belly piece that kinda gives it a wider bow and then wing pontoons.
thank you , i was aware of that , it is why i suggested that they make a seaplane twin star .since the kit make the twinstar look really nice as a seaplane .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
That's actually pretty close! Now if it was less compromised for scale appearance (as we see with MPX designs), had Multiplex levels of quality, I think we'd be in business.

Has anyone flown the Grand Cruiser? How does it handle? Can it be hot rodded?
yes . the wings need to be reinforced with carbon .and of course the motors have to be upgraded along with the esc. its flies great in the stock set up . it does around 60mph im guessing. "i didnt get a chance to check the speed .i modded it out and got it to go around 85mph "i checked it with rcspeedo. i cant say it was an accurate reading . since i really dont trust those apps.

this was mine before i i hot rodded it . i
[IMG][/IMG]
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
i want one of these ,but the going price on them is ridiculous .its the reason why i purchased the Dynam grand cruiser ,but its not the same . if mulitplex where to make one one simular to this i would be all over it. the closes ive seen to this is a supertwin ,but is a balsa kit . "Plans only " so thats not going to happen for me
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:13 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,944 Posts
Thesandman,
That's a great looking paint job. Hearing that the plane can be made to perform makes me a lot more interested...but I agree with you that had Multiplex made a kit with this form, it would be an entirely different animal. I have built many of their planes now (and several of them more than once) and there's just something special about the build quality and design. They're just elegently designed and always fly immensely well.

The Dynam Grand Cruiser looks like a good quality kit...but when you're a Multiplex fan, you get spoiled.

What motors are you running? Any chance that you might snap a pic of the motor mounts of the Grand Cruiser? Nitroplanes doesn't show them.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:05 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
I agree about the aspect ratio...I'll take your word for it on the "normality" of the airfoil...I never measured it. The point is, the plane is unnecessarily draggy. It has lift to spare.

What I will disagree with you with your implication that the Twinstar II a trainer. At least here in the US, it's sold as a model for intermediate pilots...it's not marketed to beginners.

Let me just remind anyone who cares to participate- this is a discussion about what YOU WANT IN A TWINSTAR 3... not a debate on what it should be based on what it has been in the past.

Jurgen, please don't troll this thread.
Good luck with that...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:31 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
Good luck with that...
LOL.. oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
No, I have not tried it. I am happy with the stock Permax 400.

...http://www.natterer-modellbau.de/sho...-II::7386.html

Ok.. looking at the picture of the setup (which doesn't seem to be sold here in the US) I can see how they accommodated the outrunners. The firewall/bulkhead is offset to drop the motors a bit. This might actually be a benefit to the thrust line issues as well.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Thesandman,
That's a great looking paint job. Hearing that the plane can be made to perform makes me a lot more interested...but I agree with you that had Multiplex made a kit with this form, it would be an entirely different animal. I have built many of their planes now (and several of them more than once) and there's just something special about the build quality and design. They're just elegently designed and always fly immensely well.
The Dynam Grand Cruiser looks like a good quality kit...but when you're a Multiplex fan, you get spoiled.

What motors are you running? Any chance that you might snap a pic of the motor mounts of the Grand Cruiser? Nitroplanes doesn't show them.
i agree with you . im a big fan of muliplex planes .i have a funcub,twinjet, funjet, dogfighter, twinstar(which i want to it a seaplane).
what i would love is a SL. another twinjet, a blizzard and there new model the tucano.
when i get a chance i will post up a pic of the motor mount . im too lazy right now to remove the spinner .prop and cowling . im running two power 15 motors from headsuprc.com