HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by batfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:14 AM
Connecticut Quad Hacker
Joined Dec 2009
949 Posts
Discussion
FUTURE PROJECT ......X-Spider Hybrid All-out time duration Quadcopter

X-Spider Hybrid All-out hover time duration Quadcopter

I have been in the laboratory hard at work coming up with the copter that will destroy the ( All-out time duration ) competition this year at the Mr. Lifter 2013 Multi Rotor Contest. As many know last year the winner for “All out time duration” was “End of Days” with an incredible hover time of 65:29 minutes. He also won Controlled Heavy lifter and “The Furthest Distance” competitions with an amazing 6.5Km out and back flight. If you see him around the net give him a big at-a-boy for the outstanding great effort and work he put into the project.

What you might not have known though was that the hover flight on one battery was another 30mins longer by MD4-1000 at 1hr 28mins and 1 second on Feb 10, 2012; you can check it out on YouTube.

Urs Meier: "I've seen it... Record flight of microdrone md4-1000. Incredible Endurance!" (2 min 17 sec)

X-Spider Hybrid

The XSpider is designed from the ground up to beat that time by a good margin on a single battery. How? Well let’s look at the hardware being used on the X-Spider copter.

MOTORS and PROPS: MT3506-25 650Kv will be used swinging 16”x4 CW and CCW Xoar wood props. The time estimates along with motor, prop, battery selection were determined after many hours of using not only the eCalc but also the Tetacalc_2.03 programs.

FRAME: The body of the copter comprises of the Turbo Ace hub and aluminum arms. The top and bottom XAircraft Device mounting Frame B’s attached to the hub and also have separate standoff mounts for even more stability with little gram add. The landing gear is a CNC Blade 400 skid.

WEIGHT: The weight of the craft was determined in the programs working with 1000gr total copter weight minus battery. In reality I was able to surpass this number and final number for the copter weight minus battery will be give or take 670grams. This will actually change the calculations by a wide margin from the original 1000gr figure. Now based on the below figures please go to the eCalc site and plug them in and see what you get.

eCalc inputs:

Rotors 4, xcopter weight 1000gr, include drive, field elevation 124.

Battery custom based on 20-30C even though using 100C 12000mah .0029ohms 3.7v 280gr

Motor Tiger Motor MT3506-25 650KV it loads the values.

APC SLOW PROP 16” x 4 pitch 2blades and click calculate.

Your answer should be on hover of 98.89minutes at 2012gr of weight including payload.

Now as I said we have an error here because I am lighter than the original estimates. Plug in 670gr instead of 1000gr and look what happens to hover time.163.53 minutes at 89.6% efficiency.

I really don’t think I will get that kind of final time but it’s usually good to within 15% on the times. That would bring the time down to around 139 minutes. Folks, if this is correct I should be able to break the 2 hour barrier. I repeated the steps in Tetacalc_2.03 calculator and came up with the same answer letting the computer figure out the engine battery prop combo to use.

Things that will change the time are environmental conditions and of course FC power draw. This is why this flight will be done on a perfectly calm evening or morning and most likely with the S-series XA Flight Control System. The final flight control system is still to be finalized.

Well any inputs will be appreciated so feel free to add your comments below.
batfire is offline Find More Posts by batfire
Last edited by batfire; Jun 12, 2014 at 03:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts