HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:51 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,086 Posts
Discussion
I was told not to use a nitro ducted fan. Why?

I have a thread about a new bird I got it was set up with a 5in nitro set up with no motor or fan.

I talked to my turbine buddy's of couse the set said but a turbine in it. I can't $$

I asked about putting a OS nitro motor and they said ducted nitro motors are a thing of the past and not to mess with them but could not tell me why?
mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:03 PM
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes68charger View Post
I have a thread about a new bird I got it was set up with a 5in nitro set up with no motor or fan.

I talked to my turbine buddy's of couse the set said but a turbine in it. I can't $$

I asked about putting a OS nitro motor and they said ducted nitro motors are a thing of the past and not to mess with them but could not tell me why?
Some people still love em!

I suppose the downside is

They are messy.
Lots of vibration if not balanced right.
Not sure what spares are like for the DF engines but they need to rev very high and don't tend to last very long.

There are some superb EDF set ups out there that are reaching beyond the 5kg of thrust range!! Also with batteries you dont suffer from any C of G chang during flight.
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:00 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes68charger View Post
ducted nitro motors are a thing of the past and not to mess with them but could not tell me why?
DF glow stopped evolution when turbines became commersial avalable. Electric DF took over the evolution and there are some pretty good EDFs out there. If wanting good performance in a DF plane you still need to spend alot of $$$. Maybe you can find a performance setup with tuned pipe and all second hand?

Back then turbines were like $4000+ and people still switched over from DF. Now days you can get a turbine that WORKS FLAWLESS every time for a little as $1725.

Also remember a DF making 14lb of thrust equals a turbine of 7lb thrust as the efflux speed of the DF is limited. Ok if making all correct the diffrence is not 50% but it's damn close! I think we all agree the 10lb thrust Wren 44 will fly a .91 DF glow plane better then the DF did. I also think the 7lb thrust Kolibri would fly a .91 DF jet. Remember those were not rockets and needing a long roll on the ground.

If chooseing the DF route make sure to get state of the art equippment.

BVM Viper, 66"long 51" wingspan. The highest performance DF you can find.... still a dog compared to 2013 standards...
20 year old RC jet good for 200mph (7 min 28 sec)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Last edited by henke; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:52 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,182 Posts
The short answer is.... They Suck !!!!!

OK... I'm really not an @$$... but it's the truth. Sure, there are guys who made them work... and they would fly well. BUT... I'd say 90% of the time (back in the day) I would see guys burn 300 ~ 400 ' worth of runway... and then pull off the ground, and they were ready to stall. IF... they got up, and got the nose pointed down... they would finally pick up speed, and go.

I'm not they typical "Jet Jock". The only reason I fly jets now, is because of the turbine engines. (they are cool) But, I remember sitting at one of the large flying fields... back in the 90's... and laughing at some of the IC-DF jets. They were loud... they sound like a pissed off bumble bee (so wrong sound) and they didn't work well. Heck... half the time, they never got off the run way. Either the engines would stall... or they woudln't peek. So... the pilot would have to go grab it, and give it a tweak... and try again.

With that all said... if you just want to fly jets... the IC-DF stuff is going cheap... but personally, I would say to go to EDF, and enjoy the model. The new EDF systems put out a lot of thrust. (a 90 to 120mm EDF would work well depending on the weight)

Finally... I think IC-DF fuel is hard to find these days. I've been told, it's low nitro, and high caster oil.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:47 AM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,086 Posts
Wowo

Thanks guys Ill got electric.

mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:29 AM
Bowling Green,Ky
Joined Sep 2004
311 Posts
Not to mention blown glow plugs and bad O rings. Dennis
Dadstoysbg is offline Find More Posts by Dadstoysbg
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:05 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
yup! If your not going to go Gas Turbine... Electric is for sure the only answer.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:37 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
agreed. the equivalent electric motor to its nitro counterpart puts out more horsepower than the nitro motor ever could. I flew nitro DF back in the 80's and some of my smaller EDF's put out more horsepower than a larger nitro motor. plus, no mess, no fuss. just plug and play. nirto is just more trouble than it's worth in this application. go electric. a jetfan 90 on 10S would make that plane absolutely ballistic. smile factor....................priceless.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Feb 2005
5 Posts
I had a Regal Eagle. I simply spent more time on the ground than in the air. Used turbines are not to be feared. I have one, no problem. Also have a new one. Runs as well as my used one. Electric is a great option but I would suggest a used turbine. I suppose the electric is cheaper to run once you've bought it all but would cost more initially I think.

Dale
Dig it is offline Find More Posts by Dig it
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:37 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
for sure, a top notch EDF setup is gonna cost more than a used turbine. you can get used, air start turbines for $500 and up. you see them all the time. you can barely get a fan an motor for that much if you go to an e-Dynamax. the batteries are expensive if you go with TP packs, but I've got buddies with between 200 and 300 charges on TP packs and they show no signs of letting up. you just can't beat the sound of a turbine, but I love my EDF's. arguably, you have to be a better pilot to run EDF, or much more conscious of your energy state would be a more correct way of saying it.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:47 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,182 Posts
There's a Wren MKIII on RCU for $850. It would fly great on it.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2008
288 Posts
I flew nitro ducted fan in the eighty and early ninety before moving to turbine-power. Most recently, last couple years, got a few edfs. Love the convenience of going to the field, popping in a battery, and getting some stick time. My edfs will never take the place of my turbine models, but the convenience and hassle free nature of the edfs leaves the nitro-ducted fan models in the Twilight Zone.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint