HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
467 Posts
It would be fun, but most of my racing is in the Kansas City to Wichita area. I used to travel to some races, but have traveled so much for work these past few years that I stay closer to home to race. Did manage to make the nats again last year, it had been since the early ninties since I had been. Hope to make it again this year. No plans on winning anything, but its a great time!
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:18 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
Fizz, if was to come to a race in your area which one would you recommend?
I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:15 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Here's my plan. First thing I'm going to do to the plane is cut the covering off the tail area and use one piece rap around from the side bottom and side either 3/4 oz Fiberglass cloth or 2oz. The week tail area. Sand and recover. The ready to cover version calls for 3/4 oz glass in the middle wing and front fuse. I was going to use the same to reinforce the tail area. Didn't know if ya thought 3/4 oz is too lite.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
I think I got the Bug. The Viper that's on it's way is the ARF white version. It's not even here yet and I just ordered the RTC version. Please help me LOL
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined Jun 2007
467 Posts
welcome to the dark side....

Barry, I'll check with the guys organizing the races, get their take on it. We have a new group in the area that's going to be doing it this year, all experienced racers. The 2-day race in the fall that the KC guys have held has always been a good one, but last year's fall race in Wichita they added 422 on Sunday, and that was really fun. I'll see what's up, and get back to you, eh?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Jun 2007
467 Posts
I think 3/4 is pretty light for reinforcing the tail. I've seen 3/4 oz crack along with fuse sides.

I"d go 2, maybe even a couple layers. Or 1/64" ply.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:00 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
I plan on using 3/4 oz and do the bottom "U' and then come from the top "U". That will give be two layers on the sides. Also I already have some carbon fiber on the sides that I wish I hadn't installed but I will deal with it.

I am considering doing the whole fuse and just leaving it natural for a finish like all my other Quickies.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:26 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
The two on the bottom. Is that how they come RTC ? Or did you put a finish on it ? It looks really good.

Regarding the firewall area. Plan is to glass the inside front at firewall with 2oz cloth. I have finishing resin. And 30 min. Epoxy. Which one should be used here and is there a big difference ? I know the finishing resin should be used on the outside at the tail. Right ?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:44 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
All of my glassing with cloth will be external only. Internally I use resin with milled fibers and make fillets. Adds a little weight but gives me a lot of extra strength.

I have put some triangle stock on the upper sides of the firewall box and after I get the fuel tank set up completely holes drilled for the fuel lines and the throttle cable sheathing installd I will mix some resin with a thickener, I believe it is cabosil, and install the cover. I will then glass the external nose and I might try the ballon method if I can get some ballons. Gotta check Amazon.

The planes in the pictures are upper left Viper, to the right is a Wham Bop fuse. To the left of the Viper are three more Wham Bops. The Wham Bop was designed by Bob Harris out of North Carolina. I have four kits and they will be 424 planes and will have "Woodie Wing". the other four fuselages are "BC Specials" built by Brad Clayton and the finish is clear automotive urethane over the 3/4 oz glass cloth.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Jun 2007
467 Posts
I take glass cloth, about 6oz or so, and chop it up into pieces - put a batch in a plastic tub like a butter container, etc - and just keep chopping with scissors until it's strands about 1/4" long or so at the most. Mix a batch with 30 min epoxy, goober it in the corners behind the firewall. Works better than triangle stock, really helps hold the front end of the plane together.

Put a little oil on some mounting bolts, thread them in the blind nuts before you goober the stuff in, and they'll back out after the epoxy cures.

I suppose the milled fibers might be easier, but I don't have any of that, and have cloth around.

3/4oz cloth makes a nice finishing coat, but I've not seen it add a tremendous amount of strength. A little, yes, but I think it tears too easily to be real strong.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:44 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
I keep thinking of this Viper and I will leave the fusalge clear but will cover the V tail with Ultracote and the wing with Ultracote. I will use the hinges that came with the plane and minimize the amount of effort to get it finished. Time to put the first layer of glass on the wing.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
A question that you might be interested in Dale.

What kind/brand epoxy resin do you use?

I use the West Systems epoxy resin.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Marauderer View Post
A question that you might be interested in Dale.

What kind/brand epoxy resin do you use?

I use the West Systems epoxy resin.
I just bought finishing resin from the LHS. Not sure what brand till I get home. But the box is really colorful.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2007
467 Posts
I don't build so much any more, and have used the smaller LHS packaged stuff from z-poxy (might be the box you mention, black & colors) and the finishing stuff from Bob Smith Industries with pretty much equal success.

I put the 3/4 oz cloth on, dribble some mixed up finishing resin on it, and spread it with an old credit card, plastic hotel room key, etc. You can spread it out thin, so there isn't really much resin on the cloth, don't build up a lot of weight that way. Sometimes a 2nd coat can help smooth things out. Some folks sand and use clear automotive paint over that for a shiny, easy to clean surface, but I've even used just the epoxy & glass without a finish topcoat, because I wanted to get the plane done and wasn't being really picky. I figured epoxy is fuelproof, so why not? That plane lasted quite a long time, only met it's demise through a pushrod failure.

Which reminds me - if you use cabon fiber pushrods, put a small piece of aluminum tubing over the outside of the pushrod at the end where you glue the wire in, to avoid having the end of the pushrod split. See above...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:07 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Name: image.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 257.5 KB
Description:

This is how it came. Looks similar to Barry's work. Also got a question. Is there to be NO modifying the muffler ? I need to leave the baffle in and the way it is or can I drill more holes in it ?