HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:30 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
I use the standard 15% aircraft fuel and add 5 oz of Castor oil to a gallon for break in. I usually run 1/2 gal of fuel through the engine on the test stand and then switch over to the regular blend and run 3-4 tanks through it on the rich side and then start leaning it out. It only takes one lean run to wipe out an engine so it is not competitive.
I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:03 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Marauderer View Post
I use the standard 15% aircraft fuel and add 5 oz of Castor oil to a gallon for break in. I usually run 1/2 gal of fuel through the engine on the test stand and then switch over to the regular blend and run 3-4 tanks through it on the rich side and then start leaning it out. It only takes one lean run to wipe out an engine so it is not competitive.
Very good advise. I am taking notes big time.

As the motor is running on the bench. Should I let it run at full throttle for the entire tank ? And at one needle setting ? I remember when I broke in my OS 55 it said to run Rich 10 seconds and leaner (not as rich) 10 seconds and do that the entire tank.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:19 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
The first tank on the test stand I usually run the engine in a really rich 2 cycle. About 14.5k-15k rpm. The cylinder head should be cool enough to touch without burning your hand. After the run let it cool off about 10-15 min. The second run same thing but but pinch the fuel line every 30 sec to lean it out. It is just a momentary pinch to give you a momentary lean out. After the run check the head and it should still be only warm. When you pinch use your tach and see how much the max rpm is. Third run adjust the needle till your rpm is about 1.2K rpm below the max pinch rpm. Pinch every 20 sec and check the rpm both peak pinch and needle setting. Adjust needle setting to 1K below peak. run out the third tank continuing to pinch every 20 sec. Fourth tank adjust needle to .8k rpm below pinch peak and pinch every 20 sec till tank is almost empty. Do not let tank run out of fuel and let the engine go lean. when almost out of fuel choke the carb intake to shut it down. That way the engine does not go lean. Same thing when starting the engine the first few times keep a finger over the intake to insure that the engine stays rich until you are sure the needle valve is rich enough that the engine will not go lean. Hot the easyist thing to do and you need to be careful of the prop and don't injure yourself.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:22 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Damn. This is pretty serious stuff. I think this engine break in procedure will help me be patient. When you say finger over the carb to choke. Is this the same as closing the carb with the throttle linkage ? Or is there a difference.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:26 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
468 Posts
Closing the carb with the throttle linkage also leans the main needle valve by moving the carb barrel inward as it closes.

Choking the carb is NOT the same as shutting it with the throttle linkage.
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:46 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
Closing the carb with the throttle linkage also leans the main needle valve by moving the carb barrel inward as it closes.

Choking the carb is NOT the same as shutting it with the throttle linkage.
Thank you. I may write a book after this
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:43 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
There is lots out there in print. I will email you some great articles in pdf that I would recommend reading several times.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Ok. I read the link given to me earlier on Batteries. But it's from 2005 so figured I would bring it up. He said the race guys were using 250 mah nicd's. now I found a 200 mah LIFE 6.6 V that weighs .53 OZ would this be ideal ? The only thing closer is a 1100 mah and it weighs 3.0 OZ. and the niMh and Nicd's weigh more and their only 4.8 V
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:55 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
I use a 2 cell Lipo 400-800 mah depending what I have through a 6V Losi regulator. I can always race for two days without charging. I know that some consider it old school now and feel with the Life batts you can eliminate the regulator but, they have never failed me yet. And I say yet because sooner or later it isn't if you have a failure it is when you will have one. You just do what works for you. It would seem that 200 mah Life will have to be charged after 2 flights. you might get 3 but, I wouldn't chance it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:11 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Marauderer View Post
I use a 2 cell Lipo 400-800 mah depending what I have through a 6V Losi regulator. I can always race for two days without charging. I know that some consider it old school now and feel with the Life batts you can eliminate the regulator but, they have never failed me yet. And I say yet because sooner or later it isn't if you have a failure it is when you will have one. You just do what works for you. It would seem that 200 mah Life will have to be charged after 2 flights. you might get 3 but, I wouldn't chance it.
What's the weight on your batt & regulator ? And would 2.5 oz added to the plane make a difference ?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:19 AM
NMPRA 86T
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Jan 2008
179 Posts
The official AMA rules for batteries are in section 7.6.1 paragraph D. Batteries shall be of adequate capacity for the size and number of servos used. Minimum battery capacity shall be: 250 milliamp-hours (mAh) for all events except 1/2A, and 150 mAh for 1/2A. So no, the 200 is too small. I use both LiPo & LiFe batteries, but I am switching to the LiFe as I go.

The current 2013-2014 rules for RC Pylon can be found at: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...ylonRacing.pdf It is quite a bit to digest, but it is the complete rules for R/C Pylon racing.

Scott Smith - 86t
NMPRA District 7 VP
SEMPRA President
ScorpionRacing is offline Find More Posts by ScorpionRacing
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:54 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
Build your first few racers for reliability and work on the weight as your flying proficiency increases.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Jun 2007
468 Posts
I would stay away from that 200mah LiFe because it's only rated at 1C - a 200 ma discharge. 2.4 receivers can use up almost half of that, doesn't leave much current capability for servos. That, and it's too small to meet the rules..

A Main hobbies sells a nice little 500 mah LiFe pack. Horizon has the Orion 600 mah pack, http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-plug-ORI60502. The Orion pack is used by several folks.

Hobby King has one listed as 700 mah, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14075. Weighs 41g (~1.5oz)

I have successfully used both the 500 mah A main battery, and the HK 700 mah battery in several planes.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:11 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
I would stay away from that 200mah LiFe because it's only rated at 1C - a 200 ma discharge. 2.4 receivers can use up almost half of that, doesn't leave much current capability for servos. That, and it's too small to meet the rules..

A Main hobbies sells a nice little 500 mah LiFe pack. Horizon has the Orion 600 mah pack, http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-plug-ORI60502. The Orion pack is used by several folks.

Hobby King has one listed as 700 mah, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14075. Weighs 41g (~1.5oz)

I have successfully used both the 500 mah A main battery, and the HK 700 mah battery in several planes.
I appreciate all the info. WOW. I guess I better start reading the rules. That 700 mah pack looks good.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Jun 2007
468 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up some of the 700mah, 1100 mah (also hobby king) and the Amain 500 mah to outfit some new planes. I figure I can use the various batteries to help with balance - why add lead if you can use a bigger battery and get some good out of the weight?