SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
What Fitz said. I run Merlins and have run the 2002, 2002HD, 2003, and the globee style 216. Depending on the conditions of the day and the engine one of those plugs has always allowed my planes to be competitive.
I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:55 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbozarth View Post
Put a smaller prop on it, or cut a 9x6 down to 8" and run it rich but at high rpms (16,500) on the bench for a few tanks. Pinch the fuel lines every once in a while to get a feel for how far you are off from peak. Then put an APC 9x6 on in and set it with a decent smoke trail. Do some climb/dives (giant egg shaped loops) to let the motor unload numerous times during the first few flights. Don't run it slobbering rich like they used to with ringed engines.

Kurt
What does the smaller prop do for the break in ? Just curious. I don't own a test stand. I will construct my own.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:15 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
Lightens the load on the engine so it keeps the temps down and piston to cylinder wall wear in will be a bit slower and less chance of scoring a piston. Some feel that running the higher rpm will assist the motor in running at a higher rpm when you install the regular 9x6 apc sport prop on it. Maybe someone can explain it better
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,493 Posts
I understand. Yep. Was just going to throw the motor on the plane but I want to do it right so asking tons of questions. You guys will hate me after a while. LOL Barry. I got the pics. Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:19 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
Nah, we won't hate you ever. We want you to be a competitor. When you start betting me on a regular basis and are not humble about it then you will be irritating only. We need all the competitors we can get
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,493 Posts
Should I keep it stock for break in or do the mods first ?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
460 Posts
Mods? What sort of mods? Engines are supposed to be stock other than a few items... gaskets, etc.

Rear bearings are a common change - at least the earlier TTpro bearings had a stamped metal cage for the balls. At the RPM we're getting on the 9/6 props, the cages would fail and pieces would wreak havoc on the rest of the engine.
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Last edited by fizzwater2; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:10 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
I would change the rear bearing and the carburetor spring removal. Don't forget to put a small piece of fuel tubing in to replace the spring so the barrel doesn't oscillate.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2007
460 Posts
I think the carb spring removal is pretty common, even if it isn't mentioned in the rules. Either that, or I'm not looking in the right place.

I would recommend doing anything prior to break in. After all, you wouldn't want a premature bearing failure to ruin a perfectly good engine.

I've seen what happens when that original style bearing lets go - and it ain't pretty.. one of mine, and two or three others amongst other club members.

I have also heard that the newer engines may already have a plastic bearing retainer cage - but none of my engines were that new. If so, you shouldn't need to change it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,493 Posts
Yeah. The mods I was referring to was the spring, Bearing if needed an head shim removal.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
If you are not sure on which rear bearing you have change it. I use rcbearings.com and the rear bearing in steel made by SKF is $6.62 + postage. Also you would really feel bad if your engine was breaking in really well and it ate the carb spring. If you are not sure of how to do it PM or email me and I will walk you through it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
I would not shim the head initially for breakin.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2007
460 Posts
Ditto - I'd leave the head shim that comes in it, in it, during break in.

Those stock head shims are pretty thick - I've seen engines that will darn near let the piston hit the head if you simply remove it. You may have to replace it with thinner shims to get the head clearance you want.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:39 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,493 Posts
Very cool. Well that's exactly what I'll do. I do the spring and bearing
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Jun 2007
460 Posts
While it might not be 100% necessary, I'll typically add extra castor oil to the fuel I'm using for breaking.