HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
Discussion
Radio gear choice

Hello all
It's been a while since I've posted on here and I have asked a similar question on my A319 ducted jet
Still undecided on which radio gear to invest in
But these are the servos used per wing
Aileron x1
Flaps. X4
Spoilers x5
Slats x 3
Landing gear x1
Rest of plane
Rudder x1
Elevator x2
Esc x1
Obviously that's a lot of servos but there only micro ones so weight shouldn't be an issue
I need to be able to program the radio to allow spoilerons and slats to move with flaps on landing and take off and also the spoilers need to remain open on landing as per full size
I know it's complicated but do able any suggestions on type of gear would be suitable also thinking about using to receivers is this possible and probably 2 battery packs
Thanks
madaboutjets is offline Find More Posts by madaboutjets
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:29 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutjets View Post
Hello all
It's been a while since I've posted on here and I have asked a similar question on my A319 ducted jet
Aileron x1
Flaps. X4
Spoilers x5
Slats x 3
Landing gear x1
Rest of plane
Rudder x1
Elevator x2
Esc x1
Obviously that's a lot of servos but there only micro ones so weight shouldn't be an issue
I need to be able to program the radio to allow spoilerons and slats to move with flaps on landing and take off and also the spoilers need to remain open on landing as per full size
I know it's complicated but do able any suggestions on type of gear would be suitable also thinking about using to receivers is this possible and probably 2 battery packs
Thanks
I am not sure how many channels or what types of mixing you may require for this jet, but based upon what others in my club have needed to fully enable all the features of their EDF's, I would be leaning towards a transmitter with more than 9 channels and a generous number of programmable mixers.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:49 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
I am not sure how many channels or what types of mixing you may require for this jet, but based upon what others in my club have needed to fully enable all the features of their EDF's, I would be leaning towards a transmitter with more than 9 channels and a generous number of programmable mixers.
I agree. I think it's clear that you need very flexible programming and lots of channels to do what you are looking for. I'd be looking at a DX-18 or similar.

Using two receivers does not present any particular problem with a 2.4 radio. You just bind both to the same transmitter/model memory.

With such a heavy load from the servos, you would need to provide a very hefty power supply. I'm not sure whether the reference to two batteries means a fully redundant power system for the model as a whole, or is related to the idea of using two receivers, presumably to split the load and make dis-assembly of the model easier (one receiver and battery for the wing, one for the fuselage).
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:06 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutjets View Post
Hello all
Aileron x1
Flaps. X4
Spoilers x5
Slats x 3
Landing gear x1
Rest of plane
Rudder x1
Elevator x2
Esc x1
Thanks
I think you can do this with the Futaba 14sg radio. You can use two receivers and split the Jet, one RX with channels 1 thru 8 and a second receiver with channels 9 thru 18, you can assign any function to any channel and or switch.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
The futaba 14 looks a nice bit of kit and seems to be able to do pretty much all of the programming my last rc gear was a futaba 6exa quite basic to today's standards
If any one is interested I will post up some pictures of the build it's still early stages yes with a lot more work to do
Thanks for your replys everyone
madaboutjets is offline Find More Posts by madaboutjets
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:15 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,653 Posts
Spektrum DX18 would also be a good choice for this setup with enough channels, plenty of mixes (16) .

You should really visit LHS or loca flying club and see if you can hold your radio options and see which one you like, fits well in your hands and you enjoy using/programming.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip