Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
236 Posts
I would cut a piece of 1-2mm CF in a washer big enough to cover the section screwed down. Should solve the problem
Bariboy is online now Find More Posts by Bariboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:15 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,637 Posts
Also, everybody has their own thoughts, based on their own experiences, and based on what they have available, as to what they would do.

Kinda like "what I would do if I were you" versus "what I would do in your shoes". (If I were you vs. me in your position)

Nothing mentioned so far is "wrong". Building/repairing is a constantly evolving thing that one must go through themselves in order to truly learn.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:32 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Here's a different thought process:

Why glue on the tail in the first place??
Why not build a new tail, use some basswood across the span at the back of the stab (a pseudo-spar), and a 2" wide band of 1/64" plywood on top of that.

Cover with your choice of covering, add your control horn, and then use some #12-24 nylon machine screws to anchor the tail on top of the fin on its seat???
Target has a point - and has pretty much described the T-tail on my Airtronics Legend. One bolt and no glue. The fin recesses into the stab to prevent it from rotating around the bolt. Yours has a pin to prevent the same. I wouldn't necessarily build a new tail, but it does need to be strong enough to prevent the bolt from pulling through.

Here's a pic of the Legend tail...

GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
564 Posts
Target , +2
jetmaven is online now Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:16 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Also, everybody has their own thoughts, based on their own experiences, and based on what they have available, as to what they would do.

Kinda like "what I would do if I were you" versus "what I would do in your shoes". (If I were you vs. me in your position)

Nothing mentioned so far is "wrong". Building/repairing is a constantly evolving thing that one must go through themselves in order to truly learn.
That's true...i appreciate this point...well..i think the simplest suggestions seems to be the best without making it to complicated...i think i will just go with a washer...i cleaned the area..i do have a 1/32 like was suggested earlier...Nothing is damaged on Glider. No Dents or Wood loss..Just a chip hear and there...i' think i will get the Flattish Washer i can find or build one from the photo below and glue it back on and see what happens....i"m also gonna list it for sale btw....not desperate to sell it but i'm not crazy about the T-Tail design at this point....think i will go a for a middle Tail design....i some how feel that's more efficient....but who knows..maybe i'll keep it after i fix it and Fly it again....
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,637 Posts
ya'know....maybe go with two washers for 1/32" ply instead of one.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:11 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,456 Posts
nylon screw tip

Hi,
I cant add much to the tons of good advice.
Nylon or plastic screws should NOT be tightened much, a little bit more that finger tight is good. Otherwise tightening pre stresses the scew leading to failure.

I built a similar tail with very thin ply and very light glass. A hard balsa wide diamond insert couldn't hurt either.
Look at a Bubble Dancer's tail set up
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cD0QUVT...r/htail_V2.pdf
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:14 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
484 Posts
Tail

Frist clean out and off all the old Epoxy and it you used the 5 min stuff you were domed from the start...Use the nylon screws and a washer on top as others have said ...The tail will stay on and if is a real bad landing the screw will brake and a new screw will fix it right up ...I watched your vidio and you are doing a nice job flying and landing are good ...Fix the tail and you will Love that plane...
Mr. Kite is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Last edited by Mr. Kite; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:29 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
484 Posts
Tail

Here is some Photos that will help
Mr. Kite is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:56 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your help. Alllll your suggestions were for sure useful. i finally managed to come up with a solution. I went to Local hobby Shop. I was gonna use the Balsa Wood but i noticed some Very very thin brass sheets on the shelf and they were pretty stiff and light. Only $3.99...so i bought one..Use the Snipper to cut it and then Drilled hole for my Screw...I used ZAP it glue to Glue Tail back on but i did manage to clean surface 1st as was suggested...So now it's on very Tight...i can't imagine it coming of in mid air...haven't flown it yet..My only fear is that if i have a reasonably hard landing..i wonder if it will at least knock the glue off surface and tail becomes loose..That's my biggest fear....i'm not to concerned with Mid Air, my fear is when i land but now that i have that Brass plate as a washer..i can only hope that it will stay tight...cause like it was mentioned earlier..when i had that landing before,,i had no washer so the elevator stab came right thru the screw...i will fly it again Tomorrow and give you all feedback...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,637 Posts
First= Yeah for return to airworthiness!

Second=this may sound negative, but it isn't meant to be... That brass is effectively only about an inch wide (prolly less) in that it won't provide any strength at all a little ways away from the bolt. Meaning, it's main strength is simply keeping the bolt from pulling through the balsa (the main problem you're having). The extra length will do almost nothing in terms of added strength, and will only add weight.

But will it hold it on? Most likely... so go out and enjoy that bad boy!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:15 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
First= Yeah for return to airworthiness!

Second=this may sound negative, but it isn't meant to be... That brass is effectively only about an inch wide (prolly less) in that it won't provide any strength at all a little ways away from the bolt. Meaning, it's main strength is simply keeping the bolt from pulling through the balsa (the main problem you're having). The extra length will do almost nothing in terms of added strength, and will only add weight.

But will it hold it on? Most likely... so go out and enjoy that bad boy!
ok i'll comment on the Second...that's true...i do agree...only reason i did it was mostly out of fear...just wanted a long enough piece so that if there was any threat of the stab splitting in half,,,that MIGHT help...it's very very light so the weight i won't worry to much...i could use a little tail weight anyways but that's very minor....and yes that bad boi is going up on my lunch break tomorrow...i just HOPE that Freak'n elevator doesn't come loose in any way....when i land....that would really confuse the hell out of me..
Closed Thread