HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Well, the snow is on the door step and the fire is warm. I have begun painting the Cub.

Painting is time consuming. I didn't get very far but it's a start. I think I like it. I tried to leave the Super Cub decal in place but it didn't look right. Maybe I'll stencil something on down the line. I'll try to post a picture of what I am trying to achieve. The upper portion of the Cub will be painted in cream. Wish me well... Painting can be meticulous.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Moving forward with the paint job. Funny how things change mid-stream. I liked the Gold so much that I'm going with it. The white on the tail will be gold.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
The Cub is just about finished. I like the paint job but it will look better when the decals are applied.

Do you like it or hate it.??
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:14 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
I like it! Much better than the generic white foam look.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
I took my third flight today. Much better experience. I had 2 good flights with take offs and I landed the plane nicely, twice. On one of the flights I felt the plane was well trimmed and I was flying in a huge circle just moving along at altitude with only short spurts of input on the right stick to turn. It was a beautiful sight and I was finally relaxed at the controls.

Now, I had a couple of crashes as well. Maybe someone can help. I am not getting a smooth long turn. It seems when I hit the rudder, it wants to stall and the wing tips down in a hurry and things go into recovery real fast. When one gives input for a turn, do you have to give it throttle.?? And a bit off up elevator.?? This is where my troubles begin. Seems when I give it throttle, it wants to helicopter. It just goes vertical. I know my plane on the ground is slightly tail heavy. I taped 2 quarters to the fuselage underneath just back from the cowl. I don't think it's enough. Although, flying REAL SLOW things look pretty good. Does CG change when you throttle up.??

Anyways, I'll stop here and check back for advice. I caused damage to the tail in my crashes. Repaired with glue but I might have to order a tail section. And I broke my second cowl. Plastic doesn't do well in 22 degree weather though the cowl is so thin, I think it will break in any sort of weather. Flying again in the morning. Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:13 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
try to keep her cg neutral or nose heavy - do not fly tail heavy as a beginner. make sure you check that your plane is such before you fly. do the cg check with batt in the batt box. if you have more questions i strongly advise visiting the cub thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787
the guys there helped me a ton when i had a cub.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
I'm very happy this evening. My plane was a broke down mess this morning and this afternoon I flew for a half hour with no damage.!!

I now feel I can manage the plane. I am flying way high and by doing so I can recover when that lower wing loses lift. I can now come out of that dreadful wingtip spiral to the ground. I'm giving it throttle when I turn. I tried giving throttle and rudder in a turn and the palne snapped right around like, real quick. I did the hand launch 4 times. Works great. Orientation takes a lot of concentration. The wind was blowing about 7mph. I could fly the plane way down wind and get it back. Man, coming back into the wind is a challenge. Now that I'm in the sky I'm learning a lot more about the control sticks. I am beginning to get.

I had a blast today.!! So cool.