SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:17 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
For three channel planes without ailerons, the rudder should be on the right stick in mode 2 because it acts as roll. Maybe the control rod is slipping?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
That's a thought. I'll check the rods.

These transmitters are all new to me. I want to learn one set-up and stick with it. Eventually I hope to get into 4-channel flying so I want the rudder on the left stick with the throttle. Right stick elevator and aileron.

Is this how a mode2 transmitter is set up.??

Hhmmm.?? I see your point with a 3-channel transmitter. Set the throttle on the left and all you really need to think about is one stick... on the right with both elevator and rudder. Is this the proper way of looking at it.??
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:48 AM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
the rudder was controlled by the right stick, because the rudder servo was plugged into the aileron channel of the receiver!
the different modes (1,2,3 and 4) only change the mapping between the transmitter sticks and the receiver ports.
here's a theoretical example (the exact channel numbers may vary, but the concept is the same):
say your radio is set up for mode 2 (left stick is throttle and rudder, right stick is elevator and aileron) and the receiver has 4 channels (ports) marked 1,2,3 and 4 (1= aileron, 2= elevator, 3= rudder, 4= throttle)
IF you then plug the rudder servo into the receiver port marked '2' ... when you move the elevator stick (up and down or forward and back), the rudder is going to move.
(changing the mode on the transmitter only changes which stick controls which port number on the receiver.)

and yes, what you've described with putting the rudder and elevator on the right hand stick is often done and can be helpful. as you've already discovered the only thing you need to do is plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel on the receiver.
note: probably obvious but in this particular case, any programming (mixing / servo travel / trim etc) you want to do for the rudder will be done on the aileron setting in the transmitter.

one OTHER thing to remember in setting up the radio.... since you mentioned it:
" What I didn't do was make sure the rudder was on the left stick where I wanted. I saw that it was working and called it good. "
besides making sure the rudder (and elevator, throttle, and ailerons when you've got them) is controlled by the correct stick, you ALSO must make sure they move in the correct DIRECTION...
the rudder has to move to the LEFT when the rudder stick is moved to the LEFT.. (it's REALLY hard trying to fly if the elevators for example move the wrong way :-) )
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Last edited by Jim Buzzeo; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Well that clarifies things. Thank you for that post.

I flew again this morning. I had one flight of about 4 minutes and another flight of under a minute. First, I went to huge field with no obstructions other than the woods that bordered the field. I tried to be more calm with the controls and I told myself repeatedly to go HIGH.!! I did.

It was a very erratic and aerobatic flight. At times, I felt I had good control of the plane. For instance, I once flew over the woods. I calmly gave it throttle and turned nicely back over the field. In another instance, I flew over the road and telephone wires and I simply put the plane back over the field. As for erratic and aerobatic... Several stall turns. Seems I couldn't trim the elevator. The plane wanted to go vertical, hence the stall turns. And huge dive and climbs. I even did a low flying loop. Mind you, the stall turns were all me and the loop was an out of control frantic miracle. The flight ended with a high speed sort of cartwheel nose digger that broke the repaired motor mount. Back to the bench.

Questions... I am getting minimal movement on the elevator trim bar.?? I need to look into this while it's on the bench. I'll check the throws and servo's. Any advice on this would be helpful. BTW, I flew with Rudder and Elevator on the right stick.

Also, how do I get the spinner off.?? Dopes it just pull off.?? Oh ya, I chunked the prop too. I have 2 spares.

I'll have to visit the LHS to buy a motor mount or 2.

All in all it was fun. I have confidence that plane will fly nicely once the operator gains some control.
Last edited by PiperRon; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
sounds like you're trying to teach yourself how to fly... sort of like teaching yourself how to juggle chainsaws while someone throws bowling balls and babies at you
throttle: it sounds like you're using way too much power to fly around...
after takeoff, the airplane should putt putt along nicely at slightly more than half throttle.
(on this airplane, full throttle should make it want to go nearly vertical)

not sure if you mean the elevator does not move much when you use the trim switch / button... the elevator should NOT move much using the trim (maybe 1/4 of the amount the sticks make the surface move)... it's only to adjust for minor variations.. fly the airplane in a straight line at mid throttle, hands off and see if it climbs or dives, turns left or right. use the trims to counter the direction it wants to fly 'hands off'
if (when) you run out of trim, land the airplane and mechanically adjust the pushrods.

the spinner on the cub I believe is threaded .. it should screw off.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
You are correct. I am teaching myself. Although, I am going to a club meeting tonight.

You know, at one point I did go Hands Off and throttle at 50%. If I recall correctly the plane reacted nicely. I need to fly again and take more notes. I think once I saw the plane loose altitude in a turn I jerked the throttle back to full and lost my concentration from that point on. I think you're right in saying I'm using too much throttle. I need to find a way to stay calm on the controls.

I'm going to take my plane to the meeting tonight and have the pros look things over. Hopefully I'll get some good tips and pointers.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:52 PM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
Yeah you need some time on a sim or on the buddy box.
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
The guys at the club meet were all great. I took my plane in and finally got some movement in the rudder and elevator. Clicked into some different holes and got things properly aligned.

The downfall is my LHS didn't have the motor mount I need to repair damage. It's going to take a week to get the part so I ordered 2.

We've got a lot of snow moving in so maybe I can begin my ski build. The Super Cub is going to have ski's and floats. And a camera... All in due time.

I'm enjoying the this new found hobby and in the end that's what matters most.

Thanks for the tips and posts. One of these days I will return to terra firma all in one piece. Cheers...
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:47 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
705 Posts
Sc

Hi, sorry to read you are out of action so soon, it's frustrating having to wait for parts isn't it! I started quite recently with a s-cub and know how quick things can go pear shaped. What helped me was having the ''rates'' switch on low so I couldn't go mad with the sticks and above all only flying on dead calm days. If there is any breeze at all then make sure you take off and land in to it.I didn't once and she took off and then dived hard right into the ground and broke engine mount and wings When you commence a turn you have to apply some UP elevator or she'll likely take a quick down turn which can be unnerving.
I'm on flight 67 now and just had a 10min fly in such strong wind that at 3/4 throttle it was stationary over my head at around 100' high and bouncing up and down in the turbulance. She was quite controllable at height but nearer the ground I had several close shaves, It HAD to be kept directly into wind or I would have smashed it!
Another thing I learned from this site was the importance of getting the centre of gravity right, I marked the points on the underneath of the wings with stick on velcro squares so you can feel them when checking the balance. Mines covered in these things so I can stick on my two keychain cameras. I have one stuck on the top of the nose cowel and add different size coins to counter balance the cameras. If this is'nt right then she can be a handful to control especially if it's tail heavy.
I do hope you get through the lows and get to enjoy the highs like I am. According to my wife I'm a big boy posessed by his new hobby -she's right of course ,but sod it! I'm having the best fun Good luck!
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Thanks dram...

For now I am not going to fly in any wind. I'll fly early mornings and in the evening if the breeze has settled down.

I am headed into my 3rd flight in a week or so. I'll flip the switch and fly in "low" rate.

I'm at the point where I am not anxious to fly. I'm going to take a week to get a good flight plan in mind. Settle down and hopefully trim the bird in flight. Get in my head to give a little elevator when I turn and not jerk the sticks. Get in my head to fly hands off and watch what's happening.

I'm loving it. Even though I'm grounded there's plenty to do and think about.

Cheers...
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,867 Posts
Here in the US in mode 2, on a 3 channel plane, the rudder is usually plugged into the "aileron" port on the RX making it the primary banking control. This is true on most 3 channel rudder, throttle, elevator trainers.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Thank you Chuck. I've got full understanding of this now.

I'm going to fly in mode2 with the 3 channel, rudder and elevator on the right stick.

Snowing up here today. Going to sit next to the fire and paint my Cub. I'll post a couple pictures when I'm done.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,867 Posts
Cool. You will enjoy your Super Cub. It is the only 3 channel I have left and I still fly it even though I now fly mostly warbirds.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
Snowing up here today. Going to sit next to the fire and paint my Cub. I'll post a couple pictures when I'm done.
ya, I hear they expect 2 feet of snow in the NE today...