HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:04 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Gallery
F3J in the Desert 2013 - Live Video Feed!

I'll be using this thread to test and for instructions.
Stay tuned!

Hey there, I'm trying to see if there is any interest in bringing this event live via webcasting. With today's speedy mobile broadband and free livestream hosting, it would be a shame not to see what can be done to bring fellow enthusiasts together.

Jim has worked out a deal to bring Verizon 4G connection to the field. I have the basic equipment to get the feed going.

* We'll shoot for 720HD quality, but it will depend entirely on the connection speed and quality at the field.

* www.livestream.com offers free HD hosting and I'm leaning on using them. Youtube also offers live streaming through their Google+ Hangout app but I haven't used that service as much and not sure what the quality would be like.

There are a few ways to do this based on bandwidth availability and I will describe it as we go along. The higher the quality the more it will cost.

Would people be willing to donate a few bucks each to help bring this about?
During the superbowl I will do a test streaming of a clock here so I would like people to test the connection and quality for me.

Go to livestream.com and signup for an account. yyou'll need an account to watch eventually. Look for user rcsoaringlive or search F3J in the Desert and click on the event icon. Let's shoot for a 3pm pacific time to start.
More to come...

Let's hear it! Thanks.
Tuan
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:05 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Equipment and Providers:
Cameras:
1 - Logitech CS-920 webcam
1 - Canon HV-30

Computers:
Dell Ultrabook 14z
Dell Precision M4600

Misc Support Equipment:
2 - Manfrotto tripods
1 - 0-360 degrees automatic panning head with remote tilt, forgot the name, need to dig it out of shed.
1 - Shure wireless hand held microphone
4 - Shure wireless lavalier microphone
1- 12ch Mixer
2 - Inverters
2 - Optima 12v Batteries

Broadband Equipment/Provider:
Verizon via the Jetpack 4620 - I am expecting >5mbps upload.

Streaming provider:
www.livestream.com
Programs - Their Producer App

Hopefully, this will pave some way for future world competitions. I've yet to see any viewable coverage of the world events which is sad if we want to promote more of this.
Last edited by fnnwizard; Feb 13, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:15 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Ok, its up and running with streaming music from winamp radio.
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2...events/1854308
Can anyone go in and test and let me know how it looks and sound?

I'm uploading at a very slow 1mbps and on Jim's network should be able to do it at least 5x faster.
However using my camcorder with firewire out, I need to use an older laptop as none my my current ones have firewire in and the old one can not convert the video fast enough... too much cpu usage so this is not HD quality.

I'll go see if any of the current usb cameras have good enough HD video.

I rigged up a moving object to see if it causes any ghosting.
You will need to register for a livestream account and search for f3j.

Once the video feeds, there is 3 small boxes at the bottom right corner.
Chat view, expanded view and popout view. Play with it and you'll see what it does.

Feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Jan 2003
829 Posts
Just checked and don't see it online.
Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:17 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
i just took it offline jim. it was working good. gotta g o watch sb now. will put it back when game is over.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:04 PM
Poolman
United States, NJ, Wenonah
Joined Oct 2011
22 Posts
Will a hd go pro camera work for this?
paulsullivan is online now Find More Posts by paulsullivan
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:14 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsullivan View Post
Will a hd go pro camera work for this?
No Gopos wont.
Video back live again so anyone who wants to please ,, test.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2003
829 Posts
Looks good - your Mic is on tho and we can hear the kids getting put to bed...
Jim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Jan 2003
829 Posts
Clock is pretty close to my clock...
Jim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:45 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsoars View Post
Looks good - your Mic is on tho and we can hear the kids getting put to bed...
Jim
Haha Jim. Now u know my nightly routine. Showering both kids, Brushing their teeth and putting them to bed. We were running 30 minutes behind.

Anyway, I piped in streaming music now.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:44 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Ok, now that kids are asleep...
I can answer more questions. The streaming software lets you use a very wide variety of cameras to capture the video. Any webcam can do it and most video cams. It boils down to how much bandwidth you have and how much control you need in the video for such things as exposure control, depth of field, focus point.

I could have kept it very simple with just the built in webcam off my current laptop. But the quality would be terrible.
I,m broadcasting at medium quality, 500kbps but at 30 fps so the motion would be decent and not be too blurry.
This is the minimum and I am very confident the quality will be higher at the field.
The camera I am using is a Canon HV30. Ancient, in today's tech std, but its small and light and something I am willing to risk getting knocked around.

It would be nice to have that broadcaster module that livestream sells, it's not too terribly expensive and would make the camera very mobile.
The way it is now, the laptop would have to follow wherever the camera goes.

Which might make a high end webcam desirable if there was a dedicated person to Lug the laptop around.

I will be participating in the contest so for the first few rounds, the cam will stay put in the middle if the flight line and will be pointed in various directions throughout the day.

In fly off rounds, I am 99.999% sure I will be able to get some close up action of the pilots and that is where the value of this live stream will be!

It would be awesome if we got the funds to setup up a system for the f3x teams and have more than 1 to use with the module. The equipment would tag along for streaming purpose and funds can also be raised to pay for uploading bandwidth.

I am sure if implemented well, we can even seek sponsors in the videos to showcase their goods thereby raising additional funds for the teams.
The system would pay for itself in a season I would imagine.

It's not that hard to implement at all.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2003
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Ok, now that kids are asleep...

I will be participating in the contest so for the first few rounds, the cam will stay put in the middle if the flight line and will be pointed in various directions throughout the day.

In fly off rounds, I am 99.999% sure I will be able to get some close up action of the pilots and that is where the value of this live stream will be!
Hmmm - does that mean you are not planning on making the flyoffs????

Jim
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:41 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm - does that mean you are not planning on making the flyoffs????

Jim
Well, I would never intentionally miss a flyoff, but considering the pilots there, at .001% I think I am still being too generous to myself .

Anyhow, I just picked up a Jetpack 4620 and a month to month plan. $80 for 10GB and a $35 activation fee. I also got the Logitech C920 camera and so far is pretty impressive. Can't zoom in H.264 format, but it should be very good for the closer shot vids.

So the setup will be:
2 cams at the command station, pointing down each side of the flight line. I can broadcast both at the same time into 2 seperate livestream accounts with the extra bandwidth in HD quality if speed is even 1/2 what I can get here which is over 12mbps!
Doing this will require a separate computer since I can only open one livestream app at a time on the computer. I will most likely go this route so that when I am not flying and helping out my team, I can go into mobile spy mode .

There's about a 20 second lag from input to end user which is very good in HD format under this budget, however that may also depend on how many will watch.
If too many sign-in to watch and the live feed deteriorates, then we might have to go pay per view . Maybe a good way to raise funds for the F3x teams .
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2003
829 Posts
I will have an extra laptop you can use if you need it. I also have inverter power to keep them going.
This will be interesting.
Jim
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:06 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,139 Posts
Quote:
I will have an extra laptop you can use if you need it. I also have inverter power to keep them going.
This will be interesting.
Jim
Kool Jim, I also have a couple converters I can bring. On your laptop, does it have firewire? If there is any bandwidth leftover, maybe do a 3rd cam setup for finals.

After some thought, I am leaning against broadcasting audio. This leaves more processing power and bandwidth for video which, if I was the end viewer, would prefer over audio... unless an expert pilot would volunteer to be miked up.