HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:25 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
I agree with Mac50L who has also had hands on experience. A Bixler is a great plane ex stock to get you going and will last for some time before maitenance is required. Sure you may get the odd one that something will fail but this will happen with any plane no matter how much you spend. Go for the Bixler as your first plane.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:14 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
I for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would purchase a clone of a readily and currently available model.Yeah ,you save a few bucks ,but as has been pointed out time and again ,the cheap copy is going to fail prematurely ,necessitating buying replacement parts or upgrades to make it as good as the original.Why not just buy the original to begin with?

the only time you'll catch me buying a clone is if the original is no longer available ,such as the case of the MPX Sonic liner..
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:33 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Possibly sometimes people are merely dipping their toe in the hobby to see if they like it or not. In these cases especially, limiting the expenditure when it may be just a couple of sessions before deciding 'nah....its not for me' would be a consideration.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:57 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Possibly sometimes people are merely dipping their toe in the hobby to see if they like it or not. In these cases especially, limiting the expenditure when it may be just a couple of sessions before deciding 'nah....its not for me' would be a consideration.
I can kinda understand where you are coming from there but buying inferior quality to begin with almost quarantees an earlier failure that might have otherwise been avoided.The satisfaction of saving a few bucks wears out quickly once you realise what you are left with is junk.
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:37 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post
I was looking for a trainer for my mom, and decided on the HK Bixler. The reviews on the HK website say that it is a great plane, but I have also heard people say that it needs a complete rebuild after purchase to make it flyable. What is the truth?
Thanks
Also check out the Floater-Jet EPO (CloudsFly). It is a great flyer and can take off from the ground which I always do. I've had one for over a year and it is quite good.

Fly the Bixler or CloudsFly like it was designed to be flown and it will last a long time........that is, like a glider, not a hot liner. Using power to get it high in the air and then gliding will give you at least 30min of flying time.

I'll second MRGTX's opinion.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Feb 09, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:55 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
I for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would purchase a clone of a readily and currently available model.
Maybe because the clone is better. No optional bits, they are all there and mounted ready to go.

Quote:
Yeah ,you save a few bucks ,but as has been pointed out time and again ,the cheap copy is going to fail prematurely ,necessitating buying replacement parts or upgrades to make it as good as the original.Why not just buy the original to begin with?
They have also improved the "clone" in the V1.1. Most of the original complains do not apply now. Also why spend more than necessary for a plane that is going to be crashed, cheap or expensive version. It is going to have a limited life from pilot learning. That life in general will be shorter than the parts failure rate.

I've just replaced my original one after a year of flying. Reason? Bad piloting and pushing the limits. Clone or not it would still have crashed and eventually needed replacing. So for the price of the "original", I've got two clones (Bixlers) with the same flight characteristics as the expensive "original".

Basically buy two clones or one original.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:10 AM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Maybe because the clone is better. No optional bits, they are all there and mounted ready to go.

They have also improved the "clone" in the V1.1. Most of the original complains do not apply now. Also why spend more than necessary for a plane that is going to be crashed, cheap or expensive version. It is going to have a limited life from pilot learning. That life in general will be shorter than the parts failure rate.

I've just replaced my original one after a year of flying. Reason? Bad piloting and pushing the limits. Clone or not it would still have crashed and eventually needed replacing. So for the price of the "original", I've got two clones (Bixlers) with the same flight characteristics as the expensive "original".

Basically buy two clones or one original.
+1 I am new to RC Airplanes and I bought the Bixler 2 because it was at a price point I could afford to learn and replace if need be without as much regret. So far I am nine flights into my experience and the bixler has handled me learing how to hand launch and one slow speed crash without as much as a whimper. I am not sure how long the Bilxer will last but I feel certain it will serve me well as I learn and I hope to add to my hangar as my skills increase and improve. I think I will more than get my money out of it. I also like the fact that I can buy relatively cheap parts to fix it if I do pull a stupid and really mess it up. Sure beats buying epensive parts or a whole new airplane while learning. Just my $0.02 and your experiences or needs may be different.
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:18 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
954 Posts
Where can I buy a Bixler?

I am in Australia
mrfirkin is offline Find More Posts by mrfirkin
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:33 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Hobby King of course.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:41 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
954 Posts
Nowhere else ?

Surely there must be some dealers here in Oz?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:03 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Hobbyking's Australia branch. Do you mean where can I go to a "real" shop? Nowhere, this is the "buy on the internet" age.

You don't say where in Australia you are, the West Island is a big place (that coming from someone who lives in the South Island).

There's a good shop in Adelade, some in Melbourne, none I found in Coober Pedy....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:39 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
954 Posts
Sorry I asked.

Real friendly, helpful place this has become.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:03 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfirkin View Post
Real friendly, helpful place this has become.
Yup, really helpful, especially when someone living somewhere in a place as big as USA and Canada asks "Where is my nearest shop?"
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:10 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Yup, really helpful, especially when someone living somewhere in a place as big as USA and Canada asks "Where is my nearest shop?"
Take another pill buddy.

I asked a question. Got sarcasm & abuse.

Again, anyone know of a retailer in Australia that sells the Bixler?

I am aware of HK. I'm just trying to save a bit on shipping costs.

Please, only those with a brain need respond.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:28 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfirkin View Post
Again, anyone know of a retailer in Australia that sells the Bixler?

I am aware of HK. I'm just trying to save a bit on shipping costs.
So you want to save shipping costs? So if you live in Sydney and there's a good a shop in Adelaide (which I have been to), how are you going to save shipping costs? HK Australia is in Australia and yes, there will be shipping cost within Australia.

So how can anyone suggest a good shop if they don't know where you are and you want to save shipping costs (within Australia)?

I'm sorry if the above sounds logical. And I apologise if you don't have a sense of humour.
RCG Plus Member