HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:09 PM
Life begins at 40
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
668 Posts
Question
The truth about the Bixler?

I was looking for a trainer for my mom, and decided on the HK Bixler. The reviews on the HK website say that it is a great plane, but I have also heard people say that it needs a complete rebuild after purchase to make it flyable. What is the truth?
Thanks
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:32 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
if your going to use it as just a TRAINER, it will be fine stock. most people that mod them do it for reasons of their own. just do a good overall check of everything when it arrives and have fun
AsSoulsDream is offline Find More Posts by AsSoulsDream
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,937 Posts
It might be ok. I have flown one that belonged to a new member in my local club and it flew well but the ESC was inadequate and came down really hot. It probably wouldnt last long. No idea about the longevity of the servos, etc. sometimes you get what you pay for.

Buy a Multiplex Easystar 2. It will cost a bit more but the quality is a sure thing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525403
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:28 AM
Désolé pour le français !
France, Aquitaine, Saint-Pierre-du-Mont
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
It might be ok. I have flown one that belonged to a new member in my local club and it flew well but the ESC was inadequate and came down really hot. It probably wouldnt last long. No idea about the longevity of the servos, etc. sometimes you get what you pay for.

Buy a Multiplex Easystar 2. It will cost a bit more but the quality is a sure thing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525403
Exactement je préfére quelques dollars de plus et m'offrir un matériel comme l'EZ 2, bien pensé, bien ajusté et durable (robuste,renforcements divers..bati moteur robuste..)!!
Gregoo is offline Find More Posts by Gregoo
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:17 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
730 Posts
Multiplex Easystar is reliable all the way!
Almost nothing compares to multiplex.

On a side note, the Bixler (and all the other resemblant planes) are only pale copies of Multiplex's Easystar...
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:28 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,237 Posts
Many of the HK planes LOOK good, and FLY OK but the electrics and components are low end. This is true for MOST trainers. People flock to cheap, so they get cheap.
Sometimes (mostly) they are just fine for basic use. Occasionally they are not.
Remember, newbies buy them, and crash the he!! out of them, don't know what they are doing electrically, let alone in the air, so a lot of their opinions need to be weighed accordingly.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,937 Posts
to Flydiver's point, many of these planes don't survive long enough to have the weaknesses of the electronics to make any difference at all.

Still, if you start with a quality motor/esc/radio/servos/barttery you'll have something left to work with after you crash your first plane.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:32 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,237 Posts
A functional mind set (hard to grasp at first) is to consider your first trainer disposable. It probably will be. The better ones will have some components that 'may' go forward. The really cheap ones will not have much of anything (including the TX) you will want to use in the future.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:11 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
476 Posts
I have had my Bixler for 6 months now and got it as my first plane. All eletronics are stock but I have beefed up wings etc. I have had no problems whatsoever. The esc does get hot but not caused any problems. All servos are still good. I use the Bixler as my test bed and recently put in a stabliser. First flight I nosed it in to the ground quite hard (the receiver plugs had came adrift) but in true Bixler fashion no damage apart from the nose slightyl squashed. Fixed the plugs and flew straight away and good as new. This is a very robust plane and I cannot fault the stock electronics. I use 3S 1300mah
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:18 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
I'd at the very least reglue the horns to the control surfaces, as I've heard of those being so badly affixed that they have come off in flight.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,165 Posts
I'd at least make sure all the hinges bend freely, are not self-destructing or destroying the servos. I'd run a 30A ESC at least. That's only the beginning but probably enough to prevent disaster.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:01 AM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
476 Posts
I don't see how people can comment on what you should be done to the Bixler unless they have owned one and experienced any problems first hand instead of hersay!
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:09 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherhalf2 View Post
I don't see how people can comment on what you should be done to the Bixler unless they have owned one and experienced any problems first hand instead of hersay!
I was passing on what a friend (and others) had mentioned on the main Bixler thread, to save the OP ploughing through pages and pages of posts. Hardly hearsay.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:57 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherhalf2 View Post
You're pretty new so you might not have noticed that the issues with models kits are predictable.

Almost without fail, a "budget" model like the Bixler will be sold with the absolute bare minimum equipment to get it flying. The power system will be ok but will likely have an ESC that allows for no margin of safety. The servos will invariably be the generic unmarked black 9g units (which can be ok but need to be checked thoroughly), frequently control horns will be inadequately glued, hinges will be marginal, retracts (where applicable) will only work in ideal conditions etc. There are a series of checks that you really have to perform on these planes and there are standard ways in which they're frequently flawed.

The accessibility of brushless systems and lipo batteries in the past half decade has made the "junk grade" RC stuff much better. ( I fly a lot of these! ) The Bixler is probably ok for a trainer that's going to be smashed repeatedly but it might be setting some folks up for failure since new pilots won't anticipate an ESC that's about to burn up or won't know to flex the hinges (with the servos detatched!!) to ensure that they're not resisting too much.

I'm all for getting folks into flying as cheaply and easily as possible... I love these cheap planes. In this case though, I think one would do well to buy the real deal, invest in a decent (used) radio and a set of quality components and be set up for a great foundation in the hobby...

Once you get a good plane in your hangar and a decent radio with model memory, you have a whole world of cheap Hobby King airframes to play around with! You'll be ready for their shortcommings and you'll be past the point of being discouraged away from the hobby.

Purely my opinion.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:11 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,044 Posts
The Bixler out of the box (presumably RTF) will fly. As it is going to be a trainer it is going to get knocked around, either at the start because a beginner is flying it or as one gets more experienced, because you take more risks and try things where/when you shouldn't. OK, that's learning.

Around here there are about 5 Bixlers. I've finally replaced mine by getting a kit and reusing bits. Nothing like a bad/bold pilot and it got to have more glue than foam.

The wing spars are totally different on the V1.1 (which is what you will get). I had no servo problems but a friend has had 3 fail eventually after a year of flying. I do recommend fitting proper hinges to replace the bending foam but you will get away with that to start with, just make sure you bend it to free it up. Horns are now bolted on so they won't give any trouble.

The stock Bixler RTF comes with a 1300 mAh battery. I'd suggest also ordering a 2200 mAh battery and using the smaller one for the Tx. Make 2 dummy batteries out of dowel with drawing pins in one end of each. Take the wires from the drawing pins out (file a small slot) to an XT60 plug (need to order that too). Velcro the battery to the back of the Tx.

By the time things need replacing (a years time?) you should have learned enough to know what to replace with what.

The Easy Star seems to not have ailerons as standard and be twice the price??? The Bixler RTF comes with absolutely everything included.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mac50L; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:19 AM.