SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:37 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,784 Posts
Loks beautifull! Those formers must take a little patience?
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi Owlsabie!!
Well, like 6 minutes each... not bad.
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Some progress done yesterday and today...
yesterday: cut the rest of the formers, easy! cut the ply formers... hard and time consuming. cut brass tubes for landing gear. attached tubes with epoxy.
today: cut stringers for wing support made of 1/4 sq. spruce, cut two main stringers hard balsa 3/8x1/8, and 4 stringers hard balsa 1/8 sq.
glued formers to stringers and run the small 1/8 stringers to keep all this thing aligned. now looks like something.
Here the pics!!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi Guys

I´ve read about the weight of original model... 9.5 oz. (270g.) that is light!! i´ll be happy if my stay close to 350 g. lets see.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:33 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,650 Posts
I must say Rodrigo that your way of building the fuselage looks a bit - er - strange! Normal way of building a crutch fuselage like this is to make the crutch first over the plan, with cross pieces, lift this off when dry and then insert the formers and add stringers. Still, you are a great builder so I am sure it will be OK, whatever works for you.....

Still fast progress, For a radio/electric version I think that you will do well to keep the weight under 375 - 400 grams, should still be OK at this weight although it might be quite a fast flyer.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi Guys!! no progress... just great mornings to go to the field and the gear (motor, esc, servos) is in the postal office, so, one more day of wait and start working on motor mount.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi Guys!! some work done!
now need help to find the way to build the cowling!
and some advice about the servo mount... one loop for rudder? and pushrod for elevator?

Well here the pics.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:05 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Judging by the standard of your planking, I shouldn't think you would have any trouble planking a cowl as on the original. Excellent work.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:10 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,650 Posts
I agree with KK, cut formers to fit around the box and plank with, say, 3/16" balsa then carve and sand to shape to produce a cowl that will slide over the motor and box, fix it with a couple of magnets at the back. Might be a problem to a lesser craftsman, but we have all seen your work so no problem for you Rodrigo!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi Guys!!
Some work done today... well, y add a "little" stringers glued to the box and the former, i draw a new former, and then still planking with some soft 3/32, the top of the cowl will be 1/4 balsa sanded to shape. and when done, start working on attachable cowl in the old way.. two magnets per side and some pivot or guide on center.

The plane looks now like a plane, about the balance, the fuselage with the motor is balanced as per plan, but missing the tail, so with tail glued and covered, with pushrods, maybe the lipo, esc and receiver will do they work.

here the pics.

PS this is a nice looking plane that takes good time to build....
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:26 PM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Arrondissement of Mons
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
Beautiful aircraft.
Ptilou is offline Find More Posts by Ptilou
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Uppps! two months in one plane is not the way i build but this jewel and her defined curves take some time...
BUT i´m happy with the result, so... almost done with balsa.. just missing the lower part of the fin, oval windows and the curved part in the windshield.
now time to work on servo mount and pushrods. and some covering....
here the pics.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:49 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,650 Posts
She looks great Rodrigo - immaculate workmanship as always from you. Two months is not a log time, and you did say you wanted a model that would take a little longer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:40 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Two months? That's too quick - you don't have time to savour the experience!

Nice looking airframe, impeccably constructed.... I'm jealous!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink