HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:13 PM
Isaiah 40:31
rc capo's Avatar
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
689 Posts
Discussion
Unmanned Vehicle University?

I just found out that you can get a degree in UAV's?

I found Unmanned Vehicle University, one among others.

So I'd figure I'd ask you guys...have you heard of it and is it legit?

I'm working now but...I am looking for a new challenge.

As a student pilot...been flying and building rc airplanes since 1990, and I work as a photographer for a local NBC news affiliate...I thought it would be a good next step.

Thanks

rc
rc capo is online now Find More Posts by rc capo
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:17 PM
Build, fly, crash, repeat.
Lost In OC's Avatar
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Feb 2005
276 Posts
I saw this as well. A lot of buzz going around regarding the legitimacy of the university whether it's accredited or not. Aparently the school is accredited through the state of Arizona and is currently seeking a more legit status the likes of which you'd typically get from a more conventional university. It seems like a step in the right direction but the value of any degree obtained may not hold much merit in the real world job market. I wouldn't mind an online doctorate for that price!
Lost In OC is offline Find More Posts by Lost In OC
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Dec 2003
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc capo View Post
I just found out that you can get a degree in UAV's?

I found Unmanned Vehicle University, one among others.

So I'd figure I'd ask you guys...have you heard of it and is it legit?

I'm working now but...I am looking for a new challenge.

As a student pilot...been flying and building rc airplanes since 1990, and I work as a photographer for a local NBC news affiliate...I thought it would be a good next step.

Thanks

rc
Much better to get a ME or AE degree from a real school. I know if someone showed up at our door looking for work with a degree in UAV's, we would be highly skeptical. I like to remind people that the top designer at Scaled Composites back in the day was Cory Bird, who had a high school diploma. In all my years as an engineer, I have never been asked what my GPA was. If you are good at what you do, a receipt from a university doesn't matter.
aeroanalysis is offline Find More Posts by aeroanalysis
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:03 PM
Registered User
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroanalysis View Post
If you are good at what you do, a receipt from a university doesn't matter.
ahhhh..... but a sheepskin from the alma mater of the company's CEO get's you brownie points!
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Honestly, it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I'm a freshman in college, majoring in compsci/compeng and I'm building and flying UAV's as a side project with the university right now. I've already been asked for my resume in person by the CTO of a UAV company, and I'm only a second semester student! It really comes down to the school: if they are located in one of the hearts and centers of development for UAV and flying systems, there will be plenty of opportunities to branch out and network. Plus, the only reason I've been able to do any of this is because one of my professors knew the exact path for me to take to build up a support/funding base. That's really what it seems to come down to.
Suhler is offline Find More Posts by Suhler
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:02 AM
Build, fly, crash, repeat.
Lost In OC's Avatar
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Feb 2005
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhler View Post
Honestly, it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I'm a freshman in college, majoring in compsci/compeng and I'm building and flying UAV's as a side project with the university right now. I've already been asked for my resume in person by the CTO of a UAV company, and I'm only a second semester student! It really comes down to the school: if they are located in one of the hearts and centers of development for UAV and flying systems, there will be plenty of opportunities to branch out and network. Plus, the only reason I've been able to do any of this is because one of my professors knew the exact path for me to take to build up a support/funding base. That's really what it seems to come down to.
But the fact that you are in college and currently on your way to a degree has opened the door for you. I can honestly say that without a degree, getting your foot in the door at any company higher up than a technician is next to impossible.
Lost In OC is offline Find More Posts by Lost In OC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCAPA/ASTM Committee F38 on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles meeting update- patrickegan Aerial Photography 40 May 29, 2005 09:36 AM
UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) mcu-electric Site Chat 15 Jan 25, 2003 09:14 PM
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles AirVenture Life, The Universe, and Politics 3 Sep 09, 2002 04:25 PM