SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:34 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Discussion
rOsewhite sport and aerobatic CF frames

After building carbon fiber frames for almost 2 years now, I started to supply to rc shops this year. In the past time I only sold frames to people who saw them on www.microcopters.de or on some warthox video and asked me for one. Meanwhile www.rosewhite.de has been launched and is also available in English language.

My frames are all designed for a special purpose. Building allround frames is nonsense in my eyes because trying to cover any purposes always means bad compromises. It's like with bicylces: Nobody would ride a downhill frame at the Tour de France and nobody would use a light race frame in a half-pipe.

I don't like compromises at all and I don't like to produce second best stuff. My frames are developed with 25 years technical experience and I only use high tempered pressed carbon fiber of high quality. Actually, there are big differences in quality and strength. Don't ask me how many different CF suppliers I have tried in the first time to find the perfect stuff.

rOsewhite Rachel v2.2

Rachel was designed almost 2 years ago now. I was tired to saw and drill new aluminum arms for my copters at the end of each flight day only because I was a lousy pilot. I wanted a real aerobatics trainer that doesn't break at each impact. The first version had a span of 40cm and already saved me countless aluminum tube arms. Though I had at least 50 very bad crashes during the first year, many of them with full speed, I was only able to break one single arm in all that time.

After one year I did a revision and reduced the span to 35cm. I wanted more agility, a little more strength and there was no need for bigger props than 8x4.5". The frame weight is 149 grams including all V2A bolts and nuts plus additional 10 grams for the battery protection plate. So far there are more than 150 Rachels sold and we only had 2 broken arms. I think that's something to be proud of.

What Rachel doesn't like is having cheap junk motors. Arms and center plates are designed as a unity. Any forces (and so vibrations too) will be dispensed over the whole frame to not overload any joint in case of an impact. Get some well balanced motors like Hacker or Tiger and you will have great fun. Buy HK junk and blame yourself for this, but please not the frame.

Though the frame is mainly designed to carry common MWC boards, it also supports small form factor flight controller like the Flyduino NanoWii or Abusemark's Naze 32 and Acro Naze. Since there seems to be no standard hole pattern (differs from 30 to 30.5mm), I set the pattern to 30.25x30.25mm with 3.3mm holes so that any of the mentioned controllers will fit. The arms support motors with a standard 16/19mm mount.

The frame will be sold including all screws and self-locking nuts (both stainless V2A), black anodized aluminum spacers, the circular lever for the top plate, a carbon battery protection plate and V2A screws for mounting the motors.

And a video from warthox that he made last year:

mwc quad // rachel v2 / promicro flyduino 9dof / 12A simonk esc (3 min 16 sec)

rOsewhite Leora v1.0

At the end of 2012 some people asked me to make a small version of Rachel for indoor use because obviously many halls have weight limits for copters. At first I didn't want to spend much time in developing a completely new frame and simply scaling Rachel's size wasn't possible because some parts would have been too fragile. But after more and more people asked me for an indoor version, I started my CAD program and developed Leora.

She is small, light, rigid and she can be damned fast. The span is 20cm and the total frame weight including mounting parts is 44 grams. I recommend to not tell hall owners about the frame's strength and that an impact will usually end with broken props and some dents in the wooden floor, or you might don't get a permission to fly in this hall.

The frame only supports small form factor flight controllers like Abusemark's Naze 32 and Acro Naze or Flyduino's NanoWii. Like on Rachel, I set the hole pattern to 30.25x30.25mm with 3.3mm holes, since common flight controllers differ from 30 to 30.5mm. The arms support motors with a hole distance from 12 to 16mm. This includes motors like Hacker or Tiger. Any junk motor with socket mount and 3 screws is not supported and will not be supported.

Sorry, I only made a video with my Gopro so far, so you have to search pixels with a magnifying glass. Best way is to open the video in Vimeo and watch it in HD and full screen. And no, I didn't plan to come out of the loop so deep. :

rOsewhite Leora Mini-Quad (3 min 25 sec)

At the moment, the following shops sell rOsewhite frames:
www.pitchpump.de
www.drotek.fr
www.floatship.co.uk
www.globe-flight.de
r0sewhite is offline Find More Posts by r0sewhite
Last edited by r0sewhite; Dec 23, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:35 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Preview on frames for other purposes:

Tamara is a cam lifter and can be configured as desired. Choose a center plate kit (3/6 or 4/8 arms), choose number and length (short or long) of arms and select either a small or big landing gear. There is only one kind of motor holders which can be fitted with one (flat) or two motors (coax). Upgrade a quad to a flat octo by adding 4 more arms or change your flat octo into a X8 by removing 4 arms. Even coax configurations with 12 and 16 motors are possible. Some examples:

Professional gimbal for cameras up to RED Epic. Each axis can be set to its center of gravity to eliminate forces. 3 versions planned: Simple belt driven version, smooth spring- and damper-driven version and brushless direct driven version:

Last edited by r0sewhite; Feb 03, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2011
512 Posts
rOsewhite sport and aerobatic CF frames prices?

Like the design... and i know the history of the frame it is interesting.

This spring should make for a great variety of CF sports frames coming out... and prices going down....
Torque66 is offline Find More Posts by Torque66
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:49 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque66 View Post
rOsewhite sport and aerobatic CF frames prices?
Take a look in the shops
Rachel: 155 Euro
Leora: 85 Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque66 View Post
This spring should make for a great variety of CF sports frames coming out... and prices going down....
Well, you get what you pay for. I pay more for the carbon plates for only one Rachel frame than a normal mid class frame costs.

I agree: There will be others with lower prices. But there are only two ways to sell such a frame for a lower price: Either they are made of cheap junk CF or they are produced by poor Asian children under terrible, unhealthy conditions. Both not the things I like to deal with.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:56 PM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,139 Posts
But how will those poor asian children buy food if we take their jobs?

Nice frames! How well do they withstand crashs?

Ps, first sentence was a joke!
ecks is online now Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:11 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
As I wrote, I had countless bad crashes with my Rachel. Bent motor shafts, broken motor bearings, lots of impacts with all 4 props broken. During the past 2 years I've had only one broken arm with Rachel v1 (40cm span) and yet no broken part with v2 (35cm span).

From all customers by now (probably around 150) I only had one order for a spare arm. From others I've got pictures like this one:

Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:21 PM
Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0sewhite View Post
Take a look in the shops
Rachel: 155 Euro
Leora: 85 Euro

Well, you get what you pay for. .

I agree: There will be others with lower prices..
Doh... sorry i figured "www.microcopters.de" was a german forum for quads and was just lazy i suppose.

Well.... i was touting last summer (on another board ) how the Rachel frame was the best i've ever seen and wanted one... but since then there have been a few more well designed cf frames entering the market.

From my stand point it's just a good thing to see... more choice... it wasn't a dig at you.
Torque66 is offline Find More Posts by Torque66
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:12 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,868 Posts
Like always, you come with such a nice piece of CF frame..
And 155euro for a CF frame like that is not that much (Yes.. i know what it cost.. )
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:00 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
@Torque66: Never mind, it's alright.

@Dialfonzo: Thanks

What I totally forgot: People living in or around Germany can see Rachel and Leora at the Toy Fair Nürnberg for one more day. My copters are at the stand of Hacker Motors:

Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:52 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,868 Posts
Man, I love CF.... Will have to get one now....!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:23 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Man, I love CF.... Will have to get one now....!
It's in the mail...!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:39 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,059 Posts
Do i have to buy all the seperate?I d rather buy a kit but no clue of the german prices or the frames.please post if u know anything to help.Thanks.
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:34 AM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Prices are almost the same so it makes no big difference where to buy.

At www.pitchpump.de you can buy complete kits. They include everything except TX/RX and batteries. These kits include the parts we recommend and that we found to be the best choice.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:00 AM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Rose, nice acro frame, however you should start working on FPV frames for GoPro camera, because frames you are working on is kind of obsolete now.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:13 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man1024 View Post
Rose, nice acro frame, however you should start working on FPV frames for GoPro camera, because frames you are working on is kind of obsolete now.
I don't think they are obsolete.
This is a very nicely made Sport frame, some people actualy like flying.. HaHa..
RCG Plus Member