HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:45 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 25 -- Fuselage (Finally!)

Progress has been made on the model. Photo 1 shows the fuselage starting to take shape on the board, beginning with the crutch.
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:56 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
CP, I wouldn’t really worry too much about being a degree or two off on the dihedral angle. At best it might induce a slight turn in one direction. Have you ever flown indoor rubber (endurance)? When you set these models up to fly the way you want them to, every thing seems to be crooked and bent, but they do fly exceptional well at that stage. Looking at your “wedge” picture there might be a slight difference in the placement of each relative to a fixed point. Don’t worry, it’ll all come out just fine and you’ll never know when it’s flying around.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 25 -- Fuselage

Photo 1 adds the crutch inner braces...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
CP, I wouldn’t really worry too much about being a degree or two off on the dihedral angle. At best it might induce a slight turn in one direction. Have you ever flown indoor rubber (endurance)? When you set these models up to fly the way you want them to, every thing seems to be crooked and bent, but they do fly exceptional well at that stage. Looking at your “wedge” picture there might be a slight difference in the placement of each relative to a fixed point. Don’t worry, it’ll all come out just fine and you’ll never know when it’s flying around.
John
I tend to agree. As I look at the wing more, the angles are not that bad. Someone else might not even notice it. From at least one view, even I can't see it without concentrating. I'm going to fly it as-is, until I see it do something I can't correct for. Then I'll build a new wing for it and try to pay more attention to the angles...

I'm going to fly it. No question about it...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 25 -- Fuselage

Photo 1 shows the first beauty shot...

The dihedral isn't too noticeable...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 26 -- Fuselage

Beginning to add formers. They're not glued in yet, as I still need to punch holes in a few for control rod tubes. F3, 4, and 5 will be made from plywood, since they will be hollowed out to allow room for the radio. F4 will be split just below the crutch for an access hatch. F3 and F5 will have some additional formers made along their lower sections to complete the hatch.

Photo 1 shows the progress...

BTW -- The fuselage is upside-down...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 42(?) -- Progress Report

The build is a bit stalled, mostly from having a lot of other things on my plate right now, but also because of the issue with covering material (see Envoy thread). I've got a good wing frame, it even looks "correct" in the dihedral despite my peepers, and the tail just needs a little finishing work.

The fuselage is still in pieces, though I think I'm going to get back to it and finish it up as far as possible. Mods for the radio require me to do something dangerous: I have to think...

Hang in there...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,260 Posts
Hi CP! try a closed loop for rudder, works great and the weight is nothing, mine is finished but now i´m working on other fuselage to fix some needed of nose weight. (had to add 25 grams of lead on nose... the same weight the brushless has...)
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day...I forget!

CG, Thanks for the "closed loop" suggestion for the rudder. This might save both the Mamselle and the Envoy from being "late to the party" after getting such an early start.

Fuselage is still just the crutch and loose formers, but that's not a bad thing. I can still get my hands into the frame to do something, unlike her sibling Envoy. Adding the stringers will be a breeze once everything is positioned correctly. The crutch is going to become the central mounting frame for the radio, and the rest of the fuse will be built around it. I think Mamselle will be an easier fit...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Progress Report

Work on the Envoy has spurred me to get something done on the Mamselle. I have started papering the fins and wing that are already finished, using the Elmer's equivalent of the UHU-stik. Might even be the same stuff under a different brand-name - goes on purple, dries clear. I should have these parts covered by the end of the day.

I know one thing from all of this -- I need a ventilator for my build room. The fumes are making their way through the rest of the house. Not a good thing, and the other occupant(s) of the house are raising objections.

More to come...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Progress Report... Cont

Here's a shot of the rudder, covered but not shrunk, with silkspan.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:35 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
The fumes are making their way through the rest of the house. Not a good thing, and the other occupant(s) of the house are raising objections.
...the main reason that some of us are having to use water-based varnish in place of dope!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 02, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Progress Report

Mamselle's wing has now been silkspanned and shrunk. First coat of nitrate either tonight or tomorrow.
Old May 03, 2013, 04:02 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this one cp - probably the best looking Smeed design of all (that may start a debate!)
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 02:18 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Looking forward to seeing this one cp - probably the best looking Smeed design of all (that may start a debate!)
totally agree, having built 5 of them from the original free flight 38" span dart powered - about 35 years old and still flying - thru 3 off 72" versions and my big 108" version which I flew today in prep for vintage rally at Middle wallop on sunday.
john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38