HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:22 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
"Measure twice, cut once" has proven once again to be at the root of this problem. Also, "Never assume..."

I just checked the measurements of the dihedral braces I cut, and found them to be as much as 1/8" off in total length. When I was making the patterns, I thought (assumed) I had cut them according to the length and angle of the plan. I did...

Turns out, the plan was a bit off...

I'm creating a new set of patterns and I'm going to check them more carefully before cutting the actual parts. The old wing won't go to waste, though. I'll use it for a practice round when I start covering...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Day 20 -- New Wing Parts

Photo 1 shows my new "kit" of wing parts. I should be assembling it tomorrow...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:50 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
I just checked the measurements of the dihedral braces I cut, and found them to be as much as 1/8" off in total length. When I was making the patterns, I thought (assumed) I had cut them according to the length and angle of the plan. I did... Turns out, the plan was a bit off......
At least you have the face-saving opportunity to point out that the inaccuracy was not wholly your own! Whereas my dihedral dilemma was caused purely by my own error...

I am impressed that you have decided to build another wing - I think that I would have either given up on the model (I can be a bit like that) or simply packed the wing mount such that when fitted, the wings had identical dihedral in relation to the fuz sides rather than the centre section....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:37 AM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
At least you have the face-saving opportunity to point out that the inaccuracy was not wholly your own! Whereas my dihedral dilemma was caused purely by my own error...

I am impressed that you have decided to build another wing - I think that I would have either given up on the model (I can be a bit like that) or simply packed the wing mount such that when fitted, the wings had identical dihedral in relation to the fuz sides rather than the centre section....
Mine was a mistake I should have caught, but didn't. It was an ill-fitting collection of pieces from the start, and I should have paid attention.

As I may have mentioned, I have my eyes on attacking a KK Falcon soon. I need to bone up on these skills before mangling too much balsa on that bird. Rebuilding a one-piece 38" Mamselle wing is easy; trying to rebuild that two-piece 96" Falcon wing due to lack of diligence would be extremely painful!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:23 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,469 Posts
Craig, youíre not alone. These things happen. I just set up a pylon mount for my wing platform. Got my square out, used an incidence meter, lined everything up the way I thought I wanted it, added the glue and left to let it dry. Came back the next day and did more work on the area. A week later Iím looking at the pylon from a different angle, itís not at 90, but maybe 85 degrees vertical. It some how got bumped before the glue dried. Bummer!
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Day 21 -- New Wing

Now this wing feels better!

I'm taking a bit more time fitting the pieces, sanding a bit more, even taking the extra time to notch the TE. The tip pieces fit a little better, too.

Photo 1 shows the overall construction. The root rib was added (not original) and was cut from 1/8" balsa. It has not been glued in at this point, because I need to cut a new dihedral angle jig.

Photo 2 is an enlargement of the tip area. What little gapping there is remaining this time is easily filled with a bit of glue.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Over in the Vintage & Old-Timer Plans PRE 1960 PLANS ONLY thread, Old_Pilot mentioned using "onion skin paper" in place of traditional tissue, and it turns out this is what I've been using as a plan protector all this time. It's tougher than tissue.

I'm going to try this out on that unusable Mamselle wing to see how it works. If it does, then this may be the route I take with both of these builds. It's certainly cheap enough (about $6 or $7 a roll, for at least 250' x 12").

Has anyone used acrylic paints over nitrate dope with success?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:09 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,504 Posts
Looking forward to the report!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Over in the Vintage & Old-Timer Plans PRE 1960 PLANS ONLY thread, Old_Pilot mentioned using "onion skin paper" in place of traditional tissue, and it turns out this is what I've been using as a plan protector all this time. It's tougher than tissue.

I'm going to try this out on that unusable Mamselle wing to see how it works. If it does, then this may be the route I take with both of these builds. It's certainly cheap enough (about $6 or $7 a roll, for at least 250' x 12").

Has anyone used acrylic paints over nitrate dope with success?
Yes, I've used artists acrylic paint over nitrate clear dope, admittedly only for smallish areas such as nose cowlings etc., and it works OK, no issues that I can detect.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Yes, I've used artists acrylic paint over nitrate clear dope, admittedly only for smallish areas such as nose cowlings etc., and it works OK, no issues that I can detect.
Excellent! Finishing these birds gets easier and easier...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Sundancer,

was that fuel proof - diesel and/or glo??

john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Day 22 -- Wing, Continued

Another wing panel started, and yet another oops spotted in the plans. This may have already been noted, but it's another item that caught me off-guard the first time. The line drawings for the two halves are not symetrical. The plan-drawn port wing is almost another plane, it's so far off-kilter.

So, back to Inkscape for the correction -- flip the plan digitally left-to-right, then print the needed images to get a matching port half.

Aren't computers wonderful (when they work)???

Side note -- my browser (Chromium) crashed this morning after a late-night update session. Mind you, not only did the browser crash, it reboots the computer every time you try to run it! I had to switch over to Firefox to get out to the internet.

Photo 1 shows the new port half started. I had already assembled the tip pieces and the TE over the (normal) starboard image, then lifted and flipped them once the new plan image was ready. Things line up now...

Photo 2 shows an enlargement of the new plan, offering proof it was reversed...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Quick note -- Fixed the issue with Chromium (unbranded Chrome browser). Installed Chrome (Google-branded version). So much for open-source...

The port wing is cooking nicely. Top spars should be installed this hour...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
Day 22 -- Wing, Continued

The upper spars are now glued in and cooking. I'll leave everything overnight, then lift it and start sanding the edges. The starboard wing has already been rounded and looks good.

Photo 1 shows the progress...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:48 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
Sundancer,

was that fuel proof - diesel and/or glo??

john
Artist's acrylics are water based and neither glow nor diesel proof. Automotive acrylics (spray cans) are diesel proof but not glow proof.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom