Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:05 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
That’s looking really good Craig.

Computer problems; I used to worry about “all that stuff” but my head is getting full and I don’t worry about it anymore. Why? My son is an IT guy (among other things ie-auto mechanics) and keeps it all going. However I’ve been waiting “forever” for him to get my CalComp plotter running on the new windows platform. It only works (for me) on an old system with AutoCad R12!

Beside, “balsa” is really a lot more fun.

Looking at SD’s “built in servos” reminds me of when I built a really nice (at the time, to me at least) model of a Spit, all balsa, powered by an OS Max .15. I worked my “buns” off, as a kid, built it, dreamed of flying it, test ran the motor, etc. etc. Proudly I brought it into my LHS (early 1960’s) and Murray looked at it made a few nice comments, but did not point out the mistakes I had made. I had built the tank and engine in! I later had to cut the cowl area to get the engine out.

Well, watching your build, I’ll just have to add a Vic Smeed "Mams'elle" to my “to do List”. Well guys/gals, we’re all going to have to live into triple digits!

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:34 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 18 -- Wing

The starboard panel has been attached to the center section. It's a rough joint, and I'm going to need a bit of lightweight compound to fill the dips, but I think it will look OK in the end.

Discovered something -- the angle drawn into the dihedral brace on the plan (bottom edge of DB) is a tad more than 2 3/4" at the tips. I'm not going to rip out the braces at this point, and just need to make sure the port panel lines up symmetrically.

Photo 1 shows the progress...
cpmcgraw is online now Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:25 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Discovered something -- the angle drawn into the dihedral brace on the plan (bottom edge of DB) is a tad more than 2 3/4" at the tips. I'm not going to rip out the braces at this point.......
Don't talk to me about dihedral braces!! Having a slight issue there myself, as it happens....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 18 -- Wing

Photo 1 shows the glue-up of a completed wing. I managed to get the tips equalized, and I think it will all work itself out with compound, but it's still rough looking. The balsa was very soft, and wanted to tear and crush instead of cut. If I do this model again, I'll know what not to do...

Photo 2 shows the center section held in place with clamps. It also shows what a careless thumb can do. There's a big gash in the rear section where my thumb just politely punched itself through the skin. Fixable, but ugly...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Don't talk to me about dihedral braces!! Having a slight issue there myself, as it happens....
The scroll saw beats the x-acto knife hands down. It's just hard to maneuver thin ply into an oscillating blade without the blade grabbing and jerking the ply.

Having to see through these try-to-focus peepers doesn't exactly help the situation much, either... I figure as long as I keep my fingers out of the blade, I must be doing something right...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:17 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,467 Posts
I may be visiting the US on business in the next few months - I have decided that I just have to get me some of those clamps!!!

And I am fully aware of the issues of seeing through 'try-to-focus' peepers as well

With very soft balsa, I have found that a new razor blade beats any Xacto to a cocked hat - as long as you watch out for fingers. The Dart Kitten has a rather fetching blood stain on the fuz side

I am impressed with your progress on both models - you'll be maidening two before I have finished one!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:50 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Quote:
With very soft balsa, I have found that a new razor blade beats any Xacto to a cocked hat - as long as you watch out for fingers. The Dart Kitten has a rather fetching blood stain on the fuz side

Please Blinkie, before you amputate something get a Swann-Morton scalpal handle and a good supply of 10A blades. The ONLY way to cut medium and soft balsa without risking life and limb!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:26 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,488 Posts
I agree with George - Swann Morton's are probably the best you can buy. This is what I use for most manual cutting with a trusty Stanley knife for anything too recalcitrant

Handle 6A/25A blade
Handle 5A/10A blade
Handle 9/11 blade.

I prefer the plastic handles for better grip and the small one is used only for film cutting and covering.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:45 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,467 Posts
I have a whole selection of scalpel handles - but then many years ago at a model jumbly sale I bought a box full of 50 Swann-Morton scalpel blades (not sure what type number) which didnt fit any of the handles I had or subsequently bought! So since then, my sporadic times modelling have been done with holding the bare blade in my podgy fingers. Handles? Pah! They're for beginners and lightweights!!!!

But I am now down to my last half dozen or so, and I'm not sure I would have the same feel using a handle after all this time.....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:13 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
I may be visiting the US on business in the next few months - I have decided that I just have to get me some of those clamps!!
Those clamps are indispensable Col and you don't need to use them as an excuse for another jolly in the States as they are readily available from your local B&Q. That's where I purchased mine for the princely sum of £6:98 per pair.
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools...skuId=11758916
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,467 Posts
I know where I'll be going this weekend...Cheers!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:56 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
I may be visiting the US on business in the next few months - I have decided that I just have to get me some of those clamps!!!
Lidl & Aldi sell them regularly.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:52 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Hobbyking have got 'em for $1.42 that's less than a pound each
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
600 Posts
Day 20 -- REBOOT

After a couple days of soul-searching and eyeballing that wing, noting that even after being careful to try to get the dihedral angles right, it still wasn't, I have decided to scrap this attempt. It just isn't up to my expectations.

At this point in the build, it doesn't make sense to me to use a frame-up that just isn't right and never will be. Also, all of the balsa came from my scrap box, so I have no major investment in the frame except for time. Even that isn't a total loss -- I know what to look for in the frame, and have learned some things about what I want to change.

I have some fresh scraps for ribs ready for the knife, and it won't be difficult to work up the rest of the parts. Again, it's all just scrap balsa. And time.

All-in-all, I'm not unhappy that this happened. Disappointed in my own deficiencies at building, of course, but not so bummed out that I'd call it quits on the whole project. I had similar problems with Envoy, and that one got fixed easily. So will this one. Mamselle is just too pretty an airplane to use sub-par components in the build.

More updates to come...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Crikey Craig, that's drastic - and brave. It looked OK in the photos, but plaudits to you for not accepting something which YOU don't like - my criteria with any model is that I have to be satisfied with it.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member