HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:27 AM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Must be quite tricky getting hinge points into surfaces as thin as this. I tend to use mylar hinges pegged with cocktail sticks for these thin surfaces, they work well down to as thin as 3/32".
This one was much easier than the Envoy. Mams'elle has 3/16" stock for the rudder, while Envoy is only 1/8". I start with a T-Pin to create a guide hole, then use a 1/16" drill bit twisted by my fingers to open the hole up, followed by another drill bit just large enough to fit the Robart.

It works better if the fingers cooperate, which mine seem to have a problem doing...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 10 -- Fiddly Bits

I got the center section skins in place, and the opening trimmed out for the rudder. It's a nice tight fit, too. Photo 1 shows the tailplane to this point in the build.

I will probably start working on the wings tonight...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 13 -- Wing

OK, so I had a bit of a delay in getting this started...

Photo 1 shows the wing pieces all cut and ready for assembly. This should go rather quickly.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 13 -- Wing (Page 2)

Photo 1 shows the center section and the starboard wing dry-fitted (no glue) to check for proper fit. Everything seems to be in good order. Only needed some minor sanding on the ribs.

Glue-up tomorrow.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:24 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,405 Posts
Craig, that’s starting to take shape now, looks good. It’s nice to hear that there are others who like to build and multi task. I don’t feel so alone now. On the other hand I still have a “project” going back to the 1960’s. It got off to a great start, then I ran out of ideas, then kind of lost interest. It still hangs from the rafters waiting.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Craig, that’s starting to take shape now, looks good. It’s nice to hear that there are others who like to build and multi task. I don’t feel so alone now. On the other hand I still have a “project” going back to the 1960’s. It got off to a great start, then I ran out of ideas, then kind of lost interest. It still hangs from the rafters waiting.
John
Hang in there, John. I fully understand having a few "in the wings" waiting for "someday" to show up. I've got two other build projects besides these two pretties, one dating back to just before Katrina (a Sig Kadet Seniorita), and another scratch idea (all-balsa mod of a 4-Star 40).

Katrina put a damper on a lot of things down here on the Gulf Coast, and I'm just now getting back to a few...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 14 -- Wing

Photo 1 shows the starboard wing glued up, and the center section separated. I'm adding another W1 rib to the joint with the center section, made from 1/8" balsa, and glued in on the dihedral angle.

The port wing should be glued up tonight.

Having to wait about joining the sections, until I can get another sheet of 1/16" plywood. Probably Monday or Tuesday.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 15 -- Crisis!

Not with the build, but with my computer. The partition with all of my Mamselle data crashed, or is at least unavailable for now, due to some sort of power failure as the machine was writing data to the drive. The partition didn't close properly, (aka "unmount") and now refuses to open at all...

This is a Linux machine, and I think the data is still all there, but I'm going to have to "dig for gold" to retrieve it. I was fortunate to have a spare HDD in another box that wasn't being used, with the same version of Mint (LM14) as the first, and a quick swap out got me back in action. If I can figure out the proper "bash" commands I should be able to "force" an "unmount" of the partition and then read everything back.

Meanwhile, back on the farm...

The port wing has been glued up and needs to be taken off the board. I'll let it cook overnight. Photo 1 shows the action.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 16 -- Post-Crisis, Wing

Photo 1 shows the Mamselle wing clamped together after taking the port half off the board and trimming the excess. Still needs sanding to shape. The dihedral braces are next.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:54 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,288 Posts
Well the crisis certainly doesn't seemed to have delayed you much Craig!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Well the crisis certainly doesn't seemed to have delayed you much Craig!
I'm having to duplicate some Inkscape work, but otherwise, no, it hasn't.

The wing should be finished by tomorrow, and the fuselage formers should be cut out by Tuesday at the latest. Might even begin the crutch glue-up.

I'm also going to take a careful look at radio installation this time. I don't want the same problem with this one as I have with Envoy.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:40 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
I'm also going to take a careful look at radio installation this time. I don't want the same problem with this one as I have with Envoy.
My Bantam has a similar fuselage structure to the Mam'selle, but not quite as roomy! The solution I adopted of making the bottom front half of the fuselage below the crutch as a detachable hatch, held by a peg at the front and magnets at the back has proved to be very practical in use. As you can see the servos are built in and after testing and setting up were "walled in" by the covering, but everything else is accessible through the bottom
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 17 -- Wing

The dihedral braces have been cut and are being glued into the center section first.

This step involves cutting away the forward section from the spar to the LE, then gluing the brace to the front face of the spars. After this has dried, the forward section can be re-attached. Once that has dried, gussets need to be added to the ribs to lock them and keep things aligned.

Since I'm doing a "sandwich" brace, I next need to do the same thing to the aft section. I will cut it away from the spars, add the second brace, and then re-attach the rear part with glue and gussets.

Photo 1 shows how this looks with the forward section re-attached.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 18 -- Wing

After an overnight cook, the center section is now ready to install. Photo 1 shows the progress. I added some 1/4" triangle stock behind the braces to keep the ribs aligned (should have used this on the front side...). I pinned the assembly to the bench to keep it all flat.

I'll add the 1/16" top sheeting before joining the panels.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
Day 18 -- Wing

Photo 1 has the sheeting being added. Those clamps really come in handy for this, both to hold things together and to keep things off the board.