HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:00 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
On the second all moving model, the covering material will be carrier bags.....ive already used then on the micro kites and they do a great job...see post7 pic
The proper vapor will go high alpha, as it is from the box.....almost to a hover, and you can fly it in tight 3 ft circles, the mini vapor at half the size flies much the same...
I fly my vapor in a medium sized hall.. I can keep it tight and slow, but whenever I try it indoors I hit everything... the mini size flies faster but can be kept even tighter...
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:50 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
I use the bags that Tesco supply for vegetables, I crumple them up then Iron them between two sheets of newspaper before use. Makes it more stable in changing temperatures.

Dave I find exactly the same with my two vapors I think the larger one causes more wash and that disturbs the flight path too much in a small space .

I find both model glitch from time to time , not enough to crash them but disconcerting any one else noticed this ?

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:46 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
cool build, i did a similar model recently: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789909

though i was not using sukhoi guts, i went for light weight everywhere i could (except maybe the covering as it needs to withstand some abuse now and then lol)
AUW ended up right around 17-18 grams. its a good flying relaxing plane to fly.

will you get some video for us to see yours in action?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:30 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
flying tonight...so hopefully some video...
glitches on vapor...one of the others at our indoor session has glitching... but I dont know what is the cause... I fly mine on a dx8 , and not had any problems.. what tx is yours on.

Thanks Derk your model is just what I am looking for ...more to collect here so I hope you dont mind me reposting some info

Derks model is based on.....Building the Kolibri light
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183298
and here...
http://litke.info/uPlanes/electrics/kolibri.html

and this video link of derks model flying as well.
kolibri indoors (3 min 28 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:49 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
Ive added the top wing set.. all nice and free moving.. a couple of winds of tape were used on the stub spars to raise the hinge tubes to enable a better line for the main spars...
The main build method with thread wrap leaves raised tie overs at the cross over points, these can slightly interfere with the movement at hinges and control surfaces.. by raising the tubes slightly these are missed..
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:53 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
flying tonight...so hopefully some video...
glitches on vapor...one of the others at our indoor session has glitching... but I dont know what is the cause... I fly mine on a dx8 , and not had any problems.. what tx is yours on.
I've been flying on a DX5e and the RTF transmitter. Had problems with the DX5 on off switch which I have replaced . The build quality of both is execrable has put me right off buying any other Spektrum transmitters.

Terry
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:24 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
Ive got a Spektrum DX6i and an 8... both have been good... NOTE...the 6i has reported pot problems, which may be a pain , reported for certain production dates....but they are fixing those free as and when needed.. My flying buddy has just sent his back for repair
I love the dx8...the quality is fine...
also got futaba ff6 ...9c...T10CP... and they are allways good, even when using the non futaba modules..
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:08 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
I'm using an Optic 6 with a FRsky 2.4 ghz module for my outdoor models and its very good makes my Spektrums look really poor. I've handled a DX6i and it didnt seem any better than the DX5. Briefly considered the DX7 but at that price I expect something better than the Optic which it isn't. Waiting for the FRsky transmitter to come out.

Terry
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:15 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
Here is the Whisper maiden flight...
slower than expected. cruises at under half power, climbs on any more power..
nice and easy here..
later we run into a warped wing problem, and we are not sure if it was down to the cold in the hall , or getting a couple of knocks.. but it was enough to make the model have a strong right turn..
we also run into problems with push rods.. the rudder was pulling well with a lot of movement, but had reduced movement when it was pushing...
Its possible that flex in the rod is giving trouble, in which case a pull pull setup solution would be better

EDIT we sorted out the little niggles, by repositioning a push rod connector and adding 2 tension threads to each of the wings ..positioned on the leading and trailing edges out near the tips ..they go down to the UC legs, where they can slide down the legs to pull the wings all level..It means checking every now and again and adjusting as needed, fixing in position with a small bit of tape...
I am still not sure what is making the wings warp that tiny bit, possibly its the cold in the hall.or impacts from my buddies hard landings....but the threads do the job...Its also possible that the joints , thread and CA , have a bit of give, so any hard knock will alter their setup just a touch... we are still puzzled..

The whisper has had a good solid mid air collision... with my flying buddy flying it, I managed to direct hit him with my r/ckite .. both models crashed to the floor from about 12 ft ..both were fine , they do bounce well..
After the collision the whisper was actually flying even better... so who knows...we did laugh..
video
The Whisper..Indoor micro model (1 min 4 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:26 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,651 Posts
Great work!
But the White Foamy (3d?) one flies more impressively .
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:34 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,713 Posts
Whisper Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Great work! But the White Foamy (3d?) one flies more impressively .
I tend to disagree since the Whisper design is for a different purpose - trainer. The profile 3D types are for advanced flyers that want to do odd performance tricks.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:58 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
That fellow is a good flier, but the model is a very delicate, light weight, depron build with CF stiffening, and it wont last him long.. In fact it has been damaged and completely rebuilt twice in 4 weeks... It got shredded the first week in a mid air, got squashed in transport another week and had impact cracks on another outing ...

The whisper is for a relaxed sedate flying session, or for fliers without the 3D skills... for that it it is doing well... and its CF structure is nicely durable, it bounces very well...

What I am after with the CF structures is better durability combined with light weight... Idealy I want a slow flying but 3D capable model, one that goes as well as the white 3D'er, but one that bounces better...
That is what I am hoping to get closer to with the all moving wing and control surface approach
Last edited by davereap; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:11 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
here is a video of the carbon traveler... its what I am trying to acheive, but I just want it in a smaller model... down at a 20" span
Cool R/C Electric Plane Flying 3D !! (1 min 57 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:45 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
The 4 wing panels were put on, and Ive linked them so they work as pull pull with threads joining each pair at the front and rear , positioned at the root... so whatever way one moves the other will follow... I added some diagonal bracing to the wings for better strength...
Ive adjusted the tail plane shape so any push pull setup will not get in the way of movement..and lastly I fixed on a motor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:28 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,530 Posts
The gear is all on and working.. I went pullpull on everything so I have good large movements on all surfaces... In fact ive had to go to low-low rates to reduce the movements untill I get it trimmed and sorted... Ive added wheels out of depron , used 3x 5gm servos, a 12A esc , an orange rx with the box removed..
The motor on 2 cells has plenty of power for vertical or hovering, and draws 5-6A at full power....
All that is left is the plastic bag covering...and to get the final All up weight...