HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you like to install wire landing gear on your Skywing/Wattaplane Edge/Slick?
Yes, I would like to install wire landing gear 19 63.33%
No, I am happy with the carbon fibre landing gear included in the kit 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:05 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,900 Posts
Poll
Skywing scale Edge/Slick and Future Model Sbach: would you install wire landing gear?

Hi guys,

Nac and I regularly fly from rough fields and have found that we prefer wire landing gear on our 48" EPP planes. We have ordered some wire landing gear and will convert our Skywing/Wattaplane scale planes to use that instead of the carbon fibre gear that came with the kit. I'll also convert my Future Model Sbach. I have been told that at some point in the future, the Future Model Sbach will come with wire landing gear as standard.

Would you guys prefer wire landing gear instead of the carbon fibre gear that is included in these kits?
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: fixed typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:15 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
Hmmm... I like carbon. I fly off of runways and very rarely bounce a landing of any kind, harrier or normal. The only carbon landing gear I've ever broken was on my 42 Slick when the limbo ribbon didn't break.

I like wire. You can do more goofy stuff down low without worrying about snapping your gear off. Some folks don't like bending it back all the time but that's silly. Learn to Land! My main concern with wire gear is that it must be strong enough to support the heavier setups without smacking the prop. The wire used on the 3DHS branded Skywings is far better than anything I've seen included with other similar planes. The gear that came with my Hokusei planes was useless with a 480 sized motor up front.

As to which I'd prefer in the kit... flip a coin. Doesn't matter to me as long as the wire is done right.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:04 PM
huck yr guts up
perth , australia
Joined Apr 2010
32 Posts
Wire is/feels cheap. These planes look good and need to be finished off properly, plus I havn't broken a set of cf LG ever. Carbon all the way!
addz is online now Find More Posts by addz
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
I fly on my property here in the desert, for the most part it is graded smooth but for three days now i have a 50/50 chance breaking the nylon bolts on the edge and on the slick. I would prefer wire as i have no problems with the gear on my other planes.
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,900 Posts
BTW wire can look good.

Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
BTW wire can look good.

sure would like to see more detail on this, size wire? how it's attached?
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,900 Posts
Here's some info on what Nac did to his Future Model Sbach. We're going to do the same to our Skywing scale planes.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=153
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:14 AM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
I much prefer wire gear - much more functional on rough ground and able to absorb energy from minor impacts.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:09 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
648 Posts
I have yet to fly my Slick( rain,snow, 60 mph winds on my days off since I got it), so I don't yet know how my gear will hold up to my flying field and my flying, so I'm reserving judgement. I agree that wire landing gear can look good, but I also agree with SDOne about it being weak in another way, namely spreading on landing and chipping your prop, so there are pros and cons to both.
All in all, still best to have the option.
Groove, you hard work is appreciated, and I agree that the wire is a viable solution.
rcguy1958 is online now Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:36 AM
Canada, NB, Drummond
Joined Mar 2010
45 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. The wire gear on my Extra and the Sbach will bend just taxying around on a grass field before I even get off the ground. I have to atraighten them after every landing; even after I put 3" wheels on them.

Now I fly them off my paved driveway and only occasionally have to straighten them. Wire would be great if it had more spring, but that might mean more brittle.....?

Can't say anything about the carbon LG as I haven't tried them yet.
al_voisine is offline Find More Posts by al_voisine
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
522 Posts
I prefer CF over wire. probably because I was so annoyed by the wire LG of 3DHS 48-in Edge, the wire bended on every landing, no matter how gentle it was.

Anyway, no matter CF or wire, the bolts and plate need to be strengthened.
VR Eyedoc is online now Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
473 Posts
It would be nice to have an option for wire gear.
PlaneButcher is offline Find More Posts by PlaneButcher
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:32 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
The 3dhs wire gear on that skywing plane is way superior to the carbon gear on my edge, IMO.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:42 PM
México, YUC, Mérida
Joined Jul 2007
271 Posts
In this particular bird I prefer CF, but that's true the woodplate has to be strengthened and the bolts needs to be metal.
QUEBRANTAHUESOS is offline Find More Posts by QUEBRANTAHUESOS
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:01 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
The wire gear used on the 3DHS EPP planes is great! It's thick, strong and holds it's shape very well. I've never had a lick of trouble out of that stuff and that's what I would like to see as an option for these planes.

The wire gear they use on their 41" and 48" Edges is not the same and needs to be bent back into shape every so often. It's softer and starts to squat after a while.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.