HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
216 Posts
New pilots, fly smoothly, maintain some speed, usually half throttle or more. Avoid full elevator or abrupt elevator movements. Avoid sharp hard turns, especially if you are flying downwind. Watch the nose of your plane, climb gently, when you are landing, make sure the nose of the plane is either level or pointing downward slightly. Maintain some throttle as you make your landing approach (maybe 1/4). As you get over the runway, level out, maintain light throttle. Gradually cut the throttle and allow the plane to settle onto the runway. As you fly, think of the wing as knifing through the air, leading edge first. Abrupt and big elevator movements will cause the bottom (or the top) of the wing to move through the air, killing lift.
daughtry50 is offline Find More Posts by daughtry50
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:40 PM
Co-heir with Christ
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Feb 2013
130 Posts
After the wing calculator results... says a 20 MPH stall speed. I wasn't going over 30MPH with about an 80 deg. bank in the corner. I can float my trainer and Typhood 3D plane through anything... I knew this bird would be temperamental.

Next time I will fly smoothly up and higher then I'll try things out and see what it can and can't do.
Dcope17 is online now Find More Posts by Dcope17
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:46 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
286 Posts
GuanLi 955mm J3 Cub COG.

Sanity check time...

I've got the Guan'Li 955mm J3 Cub (as supplied by HK- Blue & White or Invasion stripes), but the included instructions are for the RTF version (which assume you're using the supplied battery) and don't give the COG. I've plugged the numbers into the COG calculator (at 10% static margin) and it's saying the COG should be about 55 ~ 57mm from the leading edge (depending on how I muck around trying to 'square off' the tail measurements). This is around 38% of the root chord. Does that sound right?
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:58 PM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
When you stop posting poor advice based on what, 5 1/2 months experience (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=1) people will stop criticising those posts.

Your desire to contribute and help is admirable, but you're dealing with people's effort and money when you provide advice in these forums, and it needs to be backed up by sound knowledge and experience.

Fortunately one of the benefits of an open forum like this is that bad advice tends to quickly get moderated or corrected. Consider it part of your learning process.

Scirocco
right....
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,819 Posts
wombat, A J-3 Cub CG should be at about 28% for good flying. I would not go beyond 33%. The wing is a bar shape, so just multiply wing chord * .28 and that is the distance from the leading edge (LE) that it should balance.

Many of my ARF manuals have incorrect CG.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Last edited by tclaridge; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:50 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,507 Posts
Just a bit of history. We old pharts used to call them plank wings as opposed to tapered wings. Now I feel even older

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:46 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
wombat, A J-3 Cub CG should be at about 28% for good flying. I would not go beyond 33%. The wing is a bar shape, so just multiply wing chord * .28 and that is the distance from the leading edge (LE) that it should balance.

Many of my ARF manuals have incorrect CG.
Thanks muchly tclaridge. I was a bit nervous at the number the calc was giving me. I'll play around with it and see if I can work out why. Just out of interest, should the wing width be measured from the aircraft centre line or the side of the fuselage? The diagram on the calc suggests using the CL, but I'm not so confidant that is right.

My only radio kicked the bucket the other day and I'm away from home for now, but once I've sorted those two issues I'll give it a try at 28% and see how it goes.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:02 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
Center line.
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:45 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
286 Posts
:thumbsup:

Thanks Lnagel.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:51 PM
Co-heir with Christ
Joined Feb 2013
130 Posts
Alright, I've been busy and its been over a month... flew the Texan today trouble free.
I didn't do a pretty fix ( it was a good fix, just not smoothed out or covered, no cowl either ) Once i get 2 more flights with it without crashing, I'll make a place to hang it in the garage as it will then be a more permanent bird in the fleet.

I flew in a huge open flight field, kept the speed up and flew great. Landed and actually floated better than I thought after cutting power to a nice smooth landing.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:36 AM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
819 Posts
Please post a pic of your plane on a CG machine. I have the same one. I balanced it using the numbers from one of the calculators and it was too far back...
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:12 PM
Co-heir with Christ
Joined Feb 2013
130 Posts
Will do, give me a day or so and I'll get it checked.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
The main spar is a good start, always worked for me. ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:54 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,701 Posts
Best to try maiden flight with some nose-heaviness and move battery pack aft (etc.) in small steps as you get familiar with it's habits. Check for wing tip washout and add some if possible by twisting and reshrinking covering. Let model lift off on it's own when ready at 3/4 throttle and keep climb angle shallow while you or a helper adjust up/downelevator trim as needed. Good tail dragger take-off and landing technique are needed. Nice looking model!! Land on the mains with some power and raise elevators to prevent nose over when rolling slow enough.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:12 AM
Co-heir with Christ
Joined Feb 2013
130 Posts
Prolly not getting a pic soon. Working too muck and my buddy has the CG machine so I can't just run out in the garage and do it. There are a couple posts in this thread saying CG no more than 2 1/2" from the LE. Mine was 2 3/8 on its first flight and when I rebuilt it, I put everything back the same. Didn't check CG though. With possiblt a little more weight in the front because of the repair. Mine is likely 2 1/4 - 2 3/8 from the LE.
If your patient, I can check it... just not till the weekend or so.