Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:55 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Help!
Tips on painting a RC car body shell please?

I have a tamiya tt01 body shell that I'm going to paint, the main question that I want to ask is, how do I mask the light's areas(headlight,turning signal lights etc.) so after painting it's still clear and I can put some LED unit in it?

Hum, or maybe use some liquid masking products?

Update: more questions!

So today I finally get to use the Tamiya spray paint. I decided to do it outdoor, up in the mountain...I guess it wasn't a smart choice, those random wind didn't go to one direction, but rather going random directions =.= so basically some paint was coming to my face, and apparently my 3M face mask couldn't do much about it. Those horrible sharp smell is killing me>.<

Any ideal location for doing the paint job you guys would recommend? Garage? Open space with no crazy wind?

Also and alternative way to protect me? A wet towel?
PS: I wear normal contact glasses, is that enough protecting for my eyes? or I should probably use goggle?
lawjie is offline Find More Posts by lawjie
Last edited by lawjie; Mar 08, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:05 AM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
452 Posts
For most headlights/taillights, masking tape are fine.

For some curved headlights though, you can brush on a coat of plastidip.
Just make sure it is fully cured before you start spraying paint on it.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporadicIdiocy View Post
For most headlights/taillights, masking tape are fine.

For some curved headlights though, you can brush on a coat of plastidip.
Just make sure it is fully cured before you start spraying paint on it.
I'm planning to buy this- Parma PSE FasMask Liquid Body Paint Mask (4oz)

o.o any thoughts?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:44 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
452 Posts
Yea that will work. Probably better than plastidip lol. From what I read, you need to apply a few coats before they'll peel off clean and smooth.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:17 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
FasMask works very well, just follow the directions and you'll be in good shape.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:58 PM
Pirate past 40
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Bob Dively's liquid mask works better and lasts longer unused.
AirBoston is offline Find More Posts by AirBoston
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
Pirate past 40
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
If it's just the lights and glass areas a good quality painters tape will be fine. The better stuff will stretch a bit. Make sure you burnish the edges well before painting. Light coats won't bleed like heavy coats.
AirBoston is offline Find More Posts by AirBoston
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:03 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoston View Post
If it's just the lights and glass areas a good quality painters tape will be fine. The better stuff will stretch a bit. Make sure you burnish the edges well before painting. Light coats won't bleed like heavy coats.
Thank you for your advise. Hummm. I already cover the glass area, but I think putting the mask tape over the tiny/curved/awkward lights' area is a painful/impossible stuff for me to do... I think the liquid mask will save my time xD

And I did use sandpaper to burnish the edges, is it ok/normal to use sandpaper?

Today I saw two dudes playing RC cars in my school's parking lot. They both have real BMW, I think one of them is M3 coupe. And the owner of M3 coupe has a rc drift car with M3 coupe body, wiht light kits. God, me so jealous!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:50 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
By burnish he meant to rub it down really well to make sure it's a good sealed edge. The M3 drift car sounds like the same kit I have.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
So today I finally get to use the Tamiya spray paint. I decided to do it outdoor, up in the mountain...I guess it wasn't a smart choice, those random wind didn't go to one direction, but rather going random directions =.= so basically some paint was coming to my face, and apparently my 3M face mask couldn't do much about it. Those horrible sharp smell is killing me>.<

Any ideal location for doing the paint job you guys would recommend? Garage? Open space with no crazy wind?

PS: I wear normal contact glasses, is that enough protecting for my eyes? or I should probably use goggle?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:31 PM
buy, crash, save...
United States, MS
Joined Feb 2013
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjie View Post

put a pair of sun glasses on
Icero is offline Find More Posts by Icero