HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 6Sally5, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:24 PM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
726 Posts
Build Log
Parkzone P47D mod to B

A month or so ago, a fellow flying an FMS FW-190 accidentally flew through my beloved P-47. Quite a spectacular mid-air collision I must say! I was tempted to just toss the chunks in the garbage and buy a new airframe. The flaps were destroyed. The more I got to looking at it, however, I decided to GG it back together, make new flaps from balsa, and do a few other mods to make it better anyway. It did fly again and did very well, but I wanted a bit more. Seeing ParkFlyer Plastics mod kit to make the "bubble top" into a "razorback" really piqued my interest...especially when they included also a scale-size pilot and new instrument panel. I ordered the $17 kit and started the mod. I also wanted to model an actual fighter, but it needed to have some cool nose art. Callie Graphics helped me out with that! My wife wasn't too happy, but I told her this was an "historical" aircraft and to lighten up! LOL. Here are my pics of the transformation. Problem is, I am so taken by this plane now, I'm half afraid to fly it and risk messing it up! Oh well.... Thanks for the great kit, Park Flyer and the fantastic decals, Callie!
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:33 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
726 Posts
Well I finally maidened the modded plane last weekend and man, she was a handful to control! Before the mod, she was the best flying plane in my collection. I landed it without incident (except for major heart palpitations). When I got it back to my shop, I checked everything...nothing unusual, then checked the balance. I don't know how this happened but it was really tail heavy...so heavy, I had to add 2oz of weight to the nose to get it even level on my CG machine. What I can't figure out is what happened. The new parts are feather weight...almost nothing, plus I removed a piece of foam for the canopy mod...again,, almost no weight.. I havent flown it yet, but I'm not happy about having to add weight
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5