HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:42 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,205 Posts
Sounds good, make double sure everything is right and you are ready.
I chicken out sometimes and have a friend with 30Xs my experience maiden the Arfs I assemble. I've only flown for 14 months.

Keep us posted
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:33 AM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 View Post
Sorry. Didn't fly it it ends up I bought chassis weights and I didn't have any lead weights on me so today I glassed the inside of the cowling with lead and it is now balanced correctly. SORRY to leave you guys wondering but I will maiden it next Saturday. Also the weather was horrible today! 14 mph crosswind, not flying it in that weather.. But thanks for the tips, I enjoyed reading some of them
I was going to maiden my Waco yesterday and didn't because of the winds. If it wasn't blowing across the runway I might have. Better to go home and fly another day.
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:07 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,660 Posts
Be careful setting your control throws. Too much can result in a real twitchy flight. Too much elevator can result in a high speed snap at the top of a loop. Most all my H9 warbirds have about 3/8" elevator u/d. It wouldnt hurt to setup dual rates. Ailerons usually end up around 1/2" u/d. For rudder, all I can get. In the beginning, land with a little throttle, 1/4 or less. If you are under 10lbs, it will fly pretty light on the wings with pretty good sink rate on landing approach. If you end up in the 12lb range you need to carry a bit of throttle till you touch down. It will still fly good at that weight, lots do it. The stock retracts hold up fine at around 9lbs. My F6F, P-51, and P-40 are all under 9lbs. I havent flown the H9 P-47 but I know those that have and most agree its the best out of all the H9 warbirds. Support your cowl real good if you have weight in it. On all of mine, I glued 1/2" nyrod inserts along with some beefed up wood. The cowl screws stay put. A warning about weights on the cowl, I test flew a Midwest AT-6 for a guy a while back with a fair amount of weight epoxied in the cowl, grass runway, on landing a minor bump broke the cowl off. The mounts couldnt hold it.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:09 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
I was going to maiden my Waco yesterday and didn't because of the winds. If it wasn't blowing across the runway I might have. Better to go home and fly another day.
Oh yeah I heard you guys got it bad down in Fort Myers yesterday. Well hopefully it will be better next weekend and both of our maidens will be successful.
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:45 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,332 Posts
Also don't want the weights in the cowl to fall out while flying!

For control throw for maidens and the first few flights after I usually use 25% and 75% of the values on the book for low and high respectively.

Rather have a gentile amount of control than too much until you get the hang of how she flies.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Also don't want the weights in the cowl to fall out while flying!

For control throw for maidens and the first few flights after I usually use 25% and 75% of the values on the book for low and high respectively.

Rather have a gentile amount of control than too much until you get the hang of how she flies.
Yes, I have measured the control throws according to the book which has low and high rate settings. I've seen a lot of giant scale airplanes at my field (mostly warbirds) and they always have a scary maiden flight and the pilot always says, tail heavy or too much elevator throw. I have extensively gone over the throws and balance and everything looks to be in the green. I always find myself loosing my balance or loosing my grip with my transmitter on my maidens. Well I guess fear is what life is about ! Makes things a little more fun doesn't it
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:39 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
651 Posts
I have severl P-47's including both of the H-9's. They are just about the most mild mannered airplanes I have flown. Balance per plan and fly with the low rates. A little power coming in til you are ready to flare. It flies great!
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:01 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
so...you got that thing up yet ?
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
I have one!!!!!

Before you fly it do 2 things and yo will not be sorry for it.

1) Change the clevisis to metal. On my 3rd flight I lost the elevator due to a broken nylon clevis that came with the ARF. Plane survived with ruder and aileron and alot of throttle control for pitch. Ballance was a key!

2) Add a small triangel stock to the horazontal stab on the underside. The horazontal stabs will vibrate alot and it will come apart. Small tristock and a piece of black or silver coverinbg and you will never know its there but you will have a plane to fly again.

All that said, It is the very best flying plane, even as a trainer. It flys on rails and lands like a dream. Ballance is KEY.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
So a month later, still haven't maidened the airplane due to very bad weather here in Florida but tomorrow calls for east winds 12 mph which is very rare this time of year. Also it's blowing right down the runway from right to left so that means an E to W takeoff which is my favorite.

I have checked the CG verifying that it is correct, secured all screws, nuts and bolts. I also, made sure the engine ran good and was broken in properly, which it was. I changed the clevises to the locking pin type. So I think I'm ready! I will update you all tomorrow and we will see what happens! Wish me luck! (I might need it)
Last edited by Rcflyyer1; Mar 08, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:03 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 View Post
>
>
>
Wish me luck! (I might need it)
Rcflyyer1,

Since you ask "I wish you luck" but I doubt you will need it.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Today, the engine wouldn't run right. It ran fine in the beginning and idled very well but after it run for about 4 or 5 minutes, the engine started to sputter like it did when I was breaking in it. I suspected one of my valve settings got altered and sure enough, the exhaust valve was open way more than .10 mm which probably caused it to sputter, then quit and it confuses me, as I had the nut tightened all the way.. Well we will see what happens tomorrow. I included a little video to show you what a beautiful airplane I am dealing with and why I do not want to fly it . But this is before the sputtering of the engine started.
Last edited by Rcflyyer1; Mar 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:34 PM
Master re-kitter
Sarasota, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
232 Posts
Your Magnum 91

Adam,
I'm surprised that the engine gave you trouble! When I checked your valve gapping job, it was perfect. I guess I should have tested the locknuts for tightness, so shame on me!
A four stroke will run with the valves gapped pretty wide - so how far off was the exhaust? Please make sure that the needle valve isn't moving or leaking and that the tank setup is good. After all, the engine ran fine on the bench when we tested it.
The offer still stands to loan you a known good OS 91 4/s until we figure out what is going on with your engine.
Best regards,
Jim
SRQFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SRQFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some more goofy decals
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQFlyer View Post
Adam,
I'm surprised that the engine gave you trouble! When I checked your valve gapping job, it was perfect. I guess I should have tested the locknuts for tightness, so shame on me!
A four stroke will run with the valves gapped pretty wide - so how far off was the exhaust? Please make sure that the needle valve isn't moving or leaking and that the tank setup is good. After all, the engine ran fine on the bench when we tested it.
The offer still stands to loan you a known good OS 91 4/s until we figure out what is going on with your engine.
Best regards,
Jim
Yes and the engine ran perfectly as you can see in the video but then decided to not idle so I have readjusted the valves and have tightened the nut properly this time. The exhaust was open .20 mm. The intake valve was properly set, .004 mm gauge would go in a .10 mm gauge would not. I will see what happens today. It could be an issue with the low end, and when the engine is mounted inverted, does it make the engine run richer than it did while mounted up? I will be there today and maybe will get it to fly today. Thanks for the help! Adam
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:58 AM
Master re-kitter
Sarasota, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
232 Posts
91 low end

Yep, being inverted could (usually does) cause the low end to be richer. A tank too high in the fuselage just aggravates this problem. If it is really rich, then the fuel can "puddle" in the intake tube and make the engine stumble badly at idle or when trying to "spool up". Once you get it set, it will be fine - essentially "forever" (whatever that means for a model airplane)!
Good luck,
Jim
SRQFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SRQFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some more goofy decals