HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:38 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Well, I'm officially on the waiting list for one like that Red, White and Blue one above. I also am trying 4 of those ION DS 57 servos with it, at Cody's recommendation. They can't be any worse than the luck I've had with the Hyperions.
Yes .. but .. Hyperions are available, and ION 57's are not. I check Skip's website about every two weeks, but they are still backordered, as they have been for months. Is there an alternate supplier?

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:03 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
I wonder why he'd push those if he can't get them? Maybe there is a hidden message in there.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:10 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,711 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1200s. I have round 1S 1000mah (nano tech) in a couple of ships, and while they're a bit longish they fit just fine.

I've heard that the ION DS57MG servos are currently unavailable. From what I understand, they wanted to re-work the motor and primary drive gear to make the servos more reliable. I'm not sure when the "new and improved" will be available but I know they're close. My luck with these servos was quite good but I guess a few others had some issues. I do know for a fact that their motors were intolerant of voltages > 5.5v and maybe that was the source of the grief. Either way, you could use MKS DS65s or JR DS188s or Dymond D47s up front if the IONs are unavailable. I have experience with all of them and find them all to be acceptable. My personal ships all are running DS188s or IONs. I'm not pushing the ION servos necessarily. I am personally fond of the 57 because it's a metal gear direct replacement for the D47, which is the perfect size for DLGs.

There IS a plan to change the fuselage shape slightly later in the year. It's somewhere between my CAD pc and the CNC machine. I'll probably start flying a prototype of the new shape in the next month or so. The entire reason for the redesign is to give you guys more options for servos, different power sources, and some of the larger telemetry receivers. The changes are extremely slight.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Last edited by tom43004; Mar 04, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:37 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,656 Posts
Tom Siler, father of the Fr3ak DLG has graciously donated a "patriotic" version of his Made in the USA DLG.

THANK YOU TOM SILER!!!!

This makes 5 DLG's so far in the US F3K team Raffle.

Go to www.teamusaf3k.com to order tickets, buy shirts, hats or jerseys, and get in on a chance to win some serious hardware!

If you already have some raffle tickets, you may want to buy some more. If you were thinking about getting some but really would like one of those cool jerseys, you will get 25 tickets complimentary with your jersey purchase, and 10 tickets with your hat purchase.

Our shirts are now on sale too, so we have a lot to offer for your much appreciated and valued support.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike for Team USA F3K Thanks Tom nice smile cheers
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
I think some patriotic looking Fr3aKs should be making the trip to the worlds. Anyone planning on flying something like that there?

BTW, George. I just went to the website and bought a T-shirt. It's not a lot but every little bit helps.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:00 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,926 Posts
I just received some 57's that I had backordered for a month from Skip Miller. Maybe some are in, a call might be worthwhile.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:05 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I think some patriotic looking Fr3aKs should be making the trip to the worlds. Anyone planning on flying something like that there?

BTW, George. I just went to the website and bought a T-shirt. It's not a lot but every little bit helps.
Thank you Mike and yes, every little bit helps!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:22 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,497 Posts
All of alex's planes going to the worlds will be USA Flag wings. and his primary one will be the donation plane ready to go.
Gavin
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:38 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
I'm not sure about the 1200s. I have round 1S 1000mah (nano tech) in a couple of ships, and while they're a bit longish they fit just fine.

I've heard that the ION DS57MG servos are currently unavailable. From what I understand, they wanted to re-work the motor and primary drive gear to make the servos more reliable. I'm not sure when the "new and improved" will be available but I know they're close. My luck with these servos was quite good but I guess a few others had some issues. I do know for a fact that their motors were intolerant of voltages > 5.5v and maybe that was the source of the grief. Either way, you could use MKS DS65s or JR DS188s or Dymond D47s up front if the IONs are unavailable. I have experience with all of them and find them all to be acceptable. My personal ships all are running DS188s or IONs. I'm not pushing the ION servos necessarily. I am personally fond of the 57 because it's a metal gear direct replacement for the D47, which is the perfect size for DLGs.

There IS a plan to change the fuselage shape slightly later in the year. It's somewhere between my CAD pc and the CNC machine. I'll probably start flying a prototype of the new shape in the next month or so. The entire reason for the redesign is to give you guys more options for servos, different power sources, and some of the larger telemetry receivers. The changes are extremely slight.
She's a cutie.
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:11 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,688 Posts
I too have been using the ION57 servos with no problems. As Tom said they do not like voltage above 5.5 volts. I have mine on a regulator and it's been good for over a Year now.

I heard the same rumor about a rework but thats been a While now.

Toms wings are really nice. I love the solid mold construction. I have been a fan of this type of wing since my Salonits days.

Savin for another

Oh and great smile

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:25 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
The first time I held a friends Polaris wing in my hands I knew I wanted solid core molded wings. They are stiff and easy to repair.

As for the ION 57 servos, my plan is to run them on a single cell lipo without a regulator.

Mike
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:41 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,497 Posts
So sweet
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:54 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,711 Posts
Before and after. The first picture is a poly supergee that I scratch built in 2002. The second picture is the SuperFr3aK wing that I pulled from the molds this morning.

Sorry Gavin. Your SuperFr3aK wing is now only the SECOND sexiest wing I've ever seen come from my molds.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:03 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Damn Tom that is super sexy! You have come a long way... Do those new ATX servo fit in the fuse I was thinking about using them in my next Fr3aK. Looks Sweet keep up the good work.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:04 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,440 Posts
Evolution at it's best... Very nice Tom.

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics