HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:44 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,737 Posts
If you're already on the list (and you are), I already have color choices on file for you and will produce them as promised. For all new orders, I'm trying very very hard to standardize on a few colors and a single pattern so I can simplify my paint masking and not waste so much paint.

Yours will be coming from me directly.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:39 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
539 Posts
Tom, are you using IGF31 for your wing cores? I noticed Clarasonic only lists up to 3.5mm thick on their web site and was curious if this is still your core material of choice and if so where you procure it in thicknesses great enough for a solid core wing. Thanks for any info you're willing to share.

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:40 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,737 Posts
Yes and no John. I have cut (and have in inventory) 15mm Rohacell 31IGF for wings. I'm using a different PVC based foam now that is quite a bit tougher than Rohacell at a very small weight penalty.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined May 2011
539 Posts
Thanks Tom. Were you able to get the 15mm Rohacell from Clarasonic?

-John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:52 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,485 Posts
Clarasonic should carry thicker blanks, that's what they cut their stock down from.
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2011
539 Posts
Thanks Sam. I'll get in touch with them.

-John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:03 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,737 Posts
Clarasonic orders from Evonik in 1.5m thick blocks. They'll bandsaw off whatever sizes you need as stated above.

Tom
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:29 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,737 Posts
Gavin just left my shop with an extremely nice all carbon SuperFr3aK wing at 122g.

Altimeter anyone? Let the testing of the final full carbon layup begin.

I'm working hard on a batch of airplanes to start to satisfy Skip's backlog, and slowly chipping away at my backlog list as well. The solid core process is fully tweaked now and I've started using an automotive 2 part clear coat with UV inhibitors, which upped the finish quality a bit more.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Im saving my pennies for one, Tom. Im about half way there.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,500 Posts
As many of you know i have flown and owned tons and tons of dlg's.I have built ,bagged and muddled air frames together from different planes .i have flown most or at least the primary ones. .If some one would have took a picture of the wing we just made 3 years ago and showed it to us and said you would make this in just 3 short years, I would have laughed (no way).Every one he makes just gets better and better but this one is going to be hard to top. This wing is rock solid ,121.5 grams and built for me. can you imagine if he built one for a light thrower. This plane is going to show the rest of the world what driven USA pilots and builders are capable of .They are in serious trouble. Tom you have arrived. Thanks so much for your efforts and dedication to stick with your dream.
Gavin Trussell
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:51 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Gavin just left my shop with an extremely nice all carbon SuperFr3aK wing at 122g.
Textreme 64 by any chance? I'm waiting for R-G to ship 5 meters of this delicious stuff.

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,236 Posts
Can't wait to see a SuperFreak wing in person. Tom, you should be proud indeed. A couple weeks ago my friend let me throw his hollow moulded Fr3ak a bunch. I was definitely launching higher than with anything I've thrown before except maybe a Helios, which it was definitely on par with. With the increased stiffness and durability of the solid core wings it can only be better.

B
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:00 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
970 Posts
Gavin's narrative is getting me all excited. To bad its TOP SECRET so no pics
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:26 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell View Post
As many of you know i have flown and owned tons and tons of dlg's.I have built ,bagged and muddled air frames together from different planes .i have flown most or at least the primary ones. .If some one would have took a picture of the wing we just made 3 years ago and showed it to us and said you would make this in just 3 short years, I would have laughed (no way).Every one he makes just gets better and better but this one is going to be hard to top. This wing is rock solid ,121.5 grams and built for me. can you imagine if he built one for a light thrower. This plane is going to show the rest of the world what driven USA pilots and builders are capable of .They are in serious trouble. Tom you have arrived. Thanks so much for your efforts and dedication to stick with your dream.
Gavin Trussell
I'm with this guy, the plane is wonderful. It's strong light and fly's as well as any other top airframe. The SuperFr3aK is starting to put numbers on the board 4th JEM, 4th San Felasco, and 1st Az Open. Not a bad start for a plane that really just came to market. If Gavin can keep from ripping it in half you know it's strong. Keep up the good work Tom can't wait to get one of the production models in my hands.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:31 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,500 Posts
ok ok pictures
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell