SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
79 Posts
Discussion
Blade SR question

Team

I recently acquired a Blade SR on the cheap that I am trying to sort. No need to tell me they are a lemon, I knew that when I was given it.

The issue is as follows:

When I run through the full set up and test procedure as per the manual this includes disconnecting the main motor and then seeing if the tail rotor speeds up and slows down when the tail is moved, ie checks the gyro is correcting the tail movement.

2 things however become apparent.

1: the tail rotor behaves very erratically, I can sometimes push the throttle right up and nothing happens, then it will randomly fire up. There does not appear to be any progression in this (ie how much throttle is required before it bursts into life) but when it is running and I move the tail it does appear the gyro is doing its thing.

I have checked the motor is not burnt out, it will run quite smoothly with a 9 volts across the terminals.

2: The other thing and I think these are related, is that I do not get any beeps from the esc when I power it up. I do get a solid light on the RX and the gyro light comes on correctly as well. All servos work like they are supposed to.
Note that I have not had the main motor connected when I have powered the unit up as that is disconnected for the initial control/servo checking etc. This should not effect the esc reaction.

I obviously suspect the ESC but am keen on anyone else's experience before I order one from the states (way cheaper than in OZ, even with postage).

I should mention that I am flying (trying to fly?) this using the standard Blade HP6DSM transmitter and I have done the conversion from mode 1 to mode 2 on it (dip switch inside plus changeover spring etc).

Any help appreciated as always.
Cheers

Shaun
PS: No need to tell me to go buy a Blade 300 etc, I just want this SR to do the basics before I step up.
wesmantooth is offline Find More Posts by wesmantooth
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:16 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,752 Posts
Based on the fact that the SR is practically the same heli as the Esky CP2 I started on, my belief is that when you increase throttle with the main motor disconnected, since there is no torque to counteract, the gyro doesn't cause the tail motor to start. Once you start moving the tail back and forth, the gyro does its thing and that's why you see a reaction. If I remember correctly I couldn't get the tail on the CP2 to start unless the main motor was hooked up. To get around that, I would take the main blades off, plug in the main motor, and then all would work as I expected. ( It wasn't too hard to keep clear of the rotating blade holders. )
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2003
624 Posts
hi some people would just roll up throttle and launch, since as soon as tail starts to slide
gyro wll kick tailmoter on.i tend to just give the tail /txstick small tap to get tail running .just so you know, a wore out tail moter that wants more amps than esc will deliver ,so wont run on heli ,hooked straight to the 9 volt batt or even a aa ,dont be supprised if it runs
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
79 Posts
Guys, thanks for the notes back.

For the record the ESC does need the motor connected to correctly power up. No idea why but when I tried it with the main motor connected, I get the ESC beeps and all appears to work as Mr Blade intended.

Previous owner had pranged it and changed the blades but looks like the tracking is way out. Once I smooth that out should be all good to go.

Cheers and thanks again.

Shaun B
wesmantooth is offline Find More Posts by wesmantooth
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Aug 2003
624 Posts
hi ,beep comes from main moter .esc still initalizes whithout moter plugged in ,
just no beep
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas