HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:20 AM
Made in the USA
BE77 Pilot's Avatar
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
plane hits cow (with slow motion)... "Cows" by the Suburbs (1 min 36 sec)
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:24 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
56S's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Wonder if that stick slapped his left knee.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:48 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
seanpcola's Avatar
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
I like the video of the spitfire flying over the commentators head. I think he was scared to death. He uses a curse word just to let you know.

]

Guaranteed that commentator had to change his underwear. A couple of years back a Corsair and Mustang were on a ferry flight heading to Texas from South Florida and landed at Pensacola Regional for an overnight stay. My daughter is office managerat the FBO there. The morning they were leaving she was talking to the pilots and mentioned that I was at Coastal Airport 12 miles West and could they do a fly by for her dad? They said sure and then decided to turn it into a practical joke of sorts. She calls me and tells me there is going to be a Mustang coming through and will overfly the airport in a N-S direction so I should stand out next to the runway to get a good view. "Awesome"!

So I walk out there and stand waiting. Several minutes later I see the Mustang about a mile out to the North making a slow turn to my direction so I'm totally focused. All of the sudden I hear a WOT radial screaming at me from behind, I turn and that Corsair comes over my head at around 100' AGL. I mean it came out of nowhere, fast! Just as he came over my head pulls into a climb and rolls. Absolutley magnificent sight. As my senses are calming down the Mustang (I totally forgot about him) came over me slightly lower and at WOT too.

It was like that video RR posted but the aircraft in my experience were a good deal higher. The effect was no different though. Scared the crap out of me.......twice in about 30 seconds.

It was worth it though.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:56 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
56S's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Guaranteed that commentator had to change his underwear. A couple of years back a Corsair and Mustang were on a ferry flight heading to Texas from South Florida and landed at Pensacola Regional for an overnight stay. My daughter is office managerat the FBO there. The morning they were leaving she was talking to the pilots and mentioned that I was at Coastal Airport 12 miles West and could they do a fly by for her dad? They said sure and then decided to turn it into a practical joke of sorts. She calls me and tells me there is going to be a Mustang coming through and will overfly the airport in a N-S direction so I should stand out next to the runway to get a good view. "Awesome"!

So I walk out there and stand waiting. Several minutes later I see the Mustang about a mile out to the North making a slow turn to my direction so I'm totally focused. All of the sudden I hear a WOT radial screaming at me from behind, I turn and that Corsair comes over my head at around 100' AGL. I mean it came out of nowhere, fast! Just as he came over my head pulls into a climb and rolls. Absolutley magnificent sight. As my senses are calming down the Mustang (I totally forgot about him) came over me slightly lower and at WOT too.

It was like that video RR posted but the aircraft in my experience were a good deal higher. The effect was no different though. Scared the crap out of me.......twice in about 30 seconds.

It was worth it though.
And there is still a greener than the rest of the grass spot marking the occasion.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:18 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
RumRunner_1492's Avatar
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Guaranteed that commentator had to change his underwear. A couple of years back a Corsair and Mustang were on a ferry flight heading to Texas from South Florida and landed at Pensacola Regional for an overnight stay. My daughter is office managerat the FBO there. The morning they were leaving she was talking to the pilots and mentioned that I was at Coastal Airport 12 miles West and could they do a fly by for her dad? They said sure and then decided to turn it into a practical joke of sorts. She calls me and tells me there is going to be a Mustang coming through and will overfly the airport in a N-S direction so I should stand out next to the runway to get a good view. "Awesome"!

So I walk out there and stand waiting. Several minutes later I see the Mustang about a mile out to the North making a slow turn to my direction so I'm totally focused. All of the sudden I hear a WOT radial screaming at me from behind, I turn and that Corsair comes over my head at around 100' AGL. I mean it came out of nowhere, fast! Just as he came over my head pulls into a climb and rolls. Absolutley magnificent sight. As my senses are calming down the Mustang (I totally forgot about him) came over me slightly lower and at WOT too.

It was like that video RR posted but the aircraft in my experience were a good deal higher. The effect was no different though. Scared the crap out of me.......twice in about 30 seconds.

It was worth it though.
I would loved to have seen that. The corsair has been my favorite plane since being a child. There was a corsair and mustang that flew in to the local airport here for the Dayton Airshow. It was the same owner for both planes. Talk about being jealous of a guy. I asked him which one he thought would win in a dog fight and he said the corsair hands down. Both are beautiful planes.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:20 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
I like the video of the spitfire flying over the commentators head. I think he was scared to death. He uses a curse word just to let you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDDDKnNhuE
Yup - a famous one!

I'm surprised that his trousers didn't change colour...
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:33 AM
Registered Snoozer
Neil Morse's Avatar
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
You can read right here that its fake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT View Post
just more viral crap designed to waste our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
A few things catch my eye, Neil. First the clarity of the plane as captured by the still shot of the camera. The time it takes for the plane to make it around to the downwind position. The wind noise in the mic compaired to the speed of the smoke moving down the runway. The movement and reaction of the camera operator. The "200" MPH speed everyone seems to use in the decription of the event is only a few knots slower than the VNE of the Pitts IIRC. To do these high G manuevers that far above Va could prove deadly.
Edit: Listen to the doppler effect as the plane passes.
And I bet you guys didn't fall for those fake videos of guys on the moon, either!
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:00 PM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
And I bet you guys didn't fall for those fake videos of guys on the moon, either!
of course not! buy me a beer and i'll tell you a bunch of good stories i heard about it from a friend who knows the dentist of the uncle of the girlfriend of a guy that served lunch to the film crew on the actual moon landing set
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:30 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
56S's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I'll give someone a nickel to call the airport and ask them it really happened.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:36 PM
Made in the USA
BE77 Pilot's Avatar
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I'll give someone a nickel to call the airport and ask them it really happened.
If it did happen I am sure they have been instructed by counsel not to discuss it.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:38 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
56S's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
If it did happen I am sure they have been instructed by counsel not to discuss it.
Would you do it for a dime?
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:52 PM
Made in the USA
BE77 Pilot's Avatar
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
I just called the FBO and talked to a guy that works there. He said it in fact did happen but the camera was zoomed in and the plane did not pass as close as it appeared to in the video. Not sure what he meant by that and I didn't take up any more of his time.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:56 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
56S's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
I just called the FBO and talked to a guy that works there. He said it in fact did happen but the camera was zoomed in and the plane did not pass as close as it appeared to in the video. Not sure what he meant by that and I didn't take up any more of his time.
Now, about that dime.

I figured the airport had to know about it and searching past NOTAMS for that field would show that.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:25 PM
Made in the USA
BE77 Pilot's Avatar
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Now, about that dime.

I figured the airport had to know about it and searching past NOTAMS for that field would show that.
The guy I talked to was really nice about it but a little cryptic. Bottom line, it is not fake.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:08 PM
Registered Snoozer
Neil Morse's Avatar
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
I just called the FBO and talked to a guy that works there. He said it in fact did happen but the camera was zoomed in and the plane did not pass as close as it appeared to in the video. Not sure what he meant by that and I didn't take up any more of his time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
The guy I talked to was really nice about it but a little cryptic. Bottom line, it is not fake.
Nice job! I'm sure that bit about the zoomed in camera is really going to convince the authorities that nothing unsafe happened.
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold 1.2Ghz Low Pass Filter irun4fundotca FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Feb 13, 2013 01:48 PM
Discussion Low Pass Filter or High Pass Filter? sports2012 FPV Talk 2 Mar 14, 2011 03:20 PM