HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:16 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
Question
New Alpharetta/Milton/Woodstock Area Club

Would anyone be interested in starting an AMA club somewhere around Alpharetta/Milton/Woodstock area? I'm currently researching some fields in that area and wanted to gauge interest before I got too invested
drewboo127 is offline Find More Posts by drewboo127
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:25 AM
Grampa Tony
Lawrenceville, GA - Northeast Atlanta
Joined Jan 2009
1,488 Posts
I work in that area until summer, so I'd be interested.

Grampa Tony
annarelli is offline Find More Posts by annarelli
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:48 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Too far for me, but good to see interest for another club

Toughest part these days is cost of land; too often RC field is just not considered "highest and best use" by the non-modeling community.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:04 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,134 Posts
What sort of club were you planning? To put a club in that area these days, it will probably have to limited to electric planes or sailplanes. The area is too built up to take the noise of glow or gas powered planes. That's why the clubs that allow glow and gas engines like GMA are located so far from built up areas.

IIRC, the AMA requires that the AMA clubs be at least 5 miles apart so that is something you might keep in mind while looking for a field.

One problem that you run into is the landowners fear of liability. It helps if you assure him that all the flyers in the club will be required to belong to the AMA and will be covered by the AMA insurance. In addition, we always buy the landowner an additional 5 million dollars worth of liability insurance. The AMA sells it at a very reasonable price.

I was one of the founding members of 3 AMA Clubs in that area...The Roswell Air Force (RAF), the North Fulton Flying Circus (NFFC) and the North Atlanta Soaring Association (NASA). The only one still operating is NASA. I would be happy to help you in any way that I can.

Buddy
Buddy Roos is offline Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:01 PM
kthomas
USA, GA, Buford
Joined Aug 2004
93 Posts
Ah, the RAF. Back in the mid to late 80s when I was just out of college and very poor, I would go out on weekends and watch the planes at the RAF. Every time I ride by there with my family I point out that remaining stand of old trees on the southwest end, now surrounded by buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Roos View Post
What sort of club were you planning? To put a club in that area these days, it will probably have to limited to electric planes or sailplanes. The area is too built up to take the noise of glow or gas powered planes. That's why the clubs that allow glow and gas engines like GMA are located so far from built up areas.

IIRC, the AMA requires that the AMA clubs be at least 5 miles apart so that is something you might keep in mind while looking for a field.

One problem that you run into is the landowners fear of liability. It helps if you assure him that all the flyers in the club will be required to belong to the AMA and will be covered by the AMA insurance. In addition, we always buy the landowner an additional 5 million dollars worth of liability insurance. The AMA sells it at a very reasonable price.

I was one of the founding members of 3 AMA Clubs in that area...The Roswell Air Force (RAF), the North Fulton Flying Circus (NFFC) and the North Atlanta Soaring Association (NASA). The only one still operating is NASA. I would be happy to help you in any way that I can.

Buddy
kthomas is offline Find More Posts by kthomas
Last edited by kthomas; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
325 Posts
I'm in Woodstock and think it would be great. I just got my AMA number but the clubs are too far for me. What about the new AMA ParkPilot program?
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:34 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
I've found a few fields on google maps and I'm trying to get in touch with the land owners. If you know of any potential fields in the area as well let me know. I personally have mostly glow planes so the ParkPilot program wouldn't be an option for me.
drewboo127 is offline Find More Posts by drewboo127
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:54 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
325 Posts
Man, gassers really get into a different area and can see why you're interested in an AMA field. Most of the guys I fly with fly electrics at local parks and save the gassers for club fields. I've had the experience of having groups of gasser guys show up at the local parks and act like they were flying at club fields. Conversely, most of us fly electrics relatively low-key and well away from other park users, but this group of guys were loud, aggressive fliers that buzzed the flight line and drew negative attention from the locals. When I tried talking to them about it they stated they had talked to the cops before and were told that whoever was at the park first could use it as ling as they weren't breaking any laws. then they proceeded to use the whole park as their personal pylon course, with five or six gassers in the air, dead stick landing as if running out of gas was the only way of timing a flight. Not naming names or putting gas engine fliers into a wide ranging stereotype - mostly just venting about a few isolated experiences with the same group of guys that show up and treat the public parks like their own private club fields.

Kudos to you for looking to start an AMA club in our area. If you find a potential area or two closer to Woodstock I would be interested in volunteering to help out. I'm sure AMA has a lot of assistance they can offer if you haven't already tapped them for operating experience.

Good luck, and keep us updated...
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
Last edited by justinlee1; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:45 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
508 Posts
Buddy Roos makes some good points. I too was a founding member of three clubs: the RAF, GMA, and the North Fulton Flying Circus. I am in Sandy Springs and fly out at the GMA field 3-4 times a week when weather is good. That is an 80 mile round trip for me. I fly glow planes in the 40-120 size. I would be interested in a club closer in but it would be hard to find. When the RAF lost its field we had no luck finding a field in the area you are talking about but 20 years ago we did not have Google maps. If you can find a field that allows glow and gas that is closer than the GMA field I would be interested in help starting a new club.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck