HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
I think you may find that his 250 motor mounts may not fit with the motor slots at 45deg relative to the arm. If the motor mount tab is under 6mm wide, they will, if its wider, they will interfere with the side plates. I'm not sure exactly how wide they are. Matt will need to measure them. Or just go with motors that will mount on top.
Any motor will fit I have already tried
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:50 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
Yea it's going to take a lot of material
If it was my design, i would try to find a way to split that big plate in smaller one.
Like 4 arms plates...
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
706 Posts
Quote:
I think you may find that his 250 motor mounts may not fit with the motor slots at 45deg relative to the arm. If the motor mount tab is under 6mm wide, they will, if its wider, they will interfere with the side plates. I'm not sure exactly how wide they are. Matt will need to measure them. Or just go with motors that will mount on top.
Hey beggars can't be choosers!

I will go with what ever I am lucky enough to get frame-wise and then adapt. Of course, I would love to use those 250's and I think that the way they mount will reduce vibration, but I also recognize the hard design and cutting work that is being done and don't want you guys worried about my particular implementation if it costs you more time.

Thanks again all!
mcashatt is offline Find More Posts by mcashatt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SkullCopter Labs
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Any motor will fit I have already tried
Not necessarily. If mounting on top, yes, but not if mounting on bottom between the upright plates as Matt wants to do. His 250 motors must use the included motor mount. If the width of the tabs are greater than 6mm, it will not fit without interference to the upright plates when it mounts at 45 degrees to the arm. He could get them in there, but is not ideal as it would be pushing the plates to the side. No reason to jerry-rig stuff if it isnt necessary. The 22mm holes for the 250's were placed axially to the arms for this reason. They may indeed fit, but without knowing all the dimensions of the motor mount, there is only one way to be sure.

Please see pic.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcashatt View Post
Hey beggars can't be choosers!

I will go with what ever I am lucky enough to get frame-wise and then adapt. Of course, I would love to use those 250's and I think that the way they mount will reduce vibration, but I also recognize the hard design and cutting work that is being done and don't want you guys worried about my particular implementation if it costs you more time.

Thanks again all!
It was designed for you, for your particular implementation.....What are you talking about!!!! You stated you had very particular requirements, and thats how it was designed.

If it were to be a more universal design, we could have done it a bit differently.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined May 2012
706 Posts
Quote:
It was designed for you, for your particular implementation.....What are you talking about!!!! You stated you had very particular requirements, and thats how it was designed.

If it were to be a more universal design, we could have done it a bit differently.
And I appreciate it. Really, I do. I would just rather get what I can and not waste any material since it is already cut, that's all. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to just drill the holes I need with my drill press if I can't make it work as-is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
If it was my design, i would try to find a way to split that big plate in smaller one.
Like 4 arms plates...
That was considered, but its going to need extra parts and screws to hold it all together that way, and thats just adding weight.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,723 Posts
Quote:
That was considered, but its going to need extra parts and screws to hold it all together that way, and thats just adding weight.
Could be integrated in the design.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Could be integrated in the design.
Yes, some of it could. However, as it is, its true to Matt's design intent. Its essentially how he wanted it!!! So.....
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,723 Posts
Quote:
Yes, some of it could. However, as it is, its true to Matt's design intent. Its essentially how he wanted it!!! So.....
I am just saying.
It will use a lot of material that's all.

When will we see an actual assembly :-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
I am just saying.
It will use a lot of material that's all.

When will we see an actual assembly :-)
Same amount of material, it just makes using more of a panel more difficult.

Im not sure about a completed unit. Thats up to Mark and Matt.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,023 Posts
Matt, you should update the first post and title of this thread. Looks pretty cool!
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
Custom quad builder
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Well I got a little more done today

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360542634.589585.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 88.6 KB
Description:
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:33 PM
Custom quad builder
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily. If mounting on top, yes, but not if mounting on bottom between the upright plates as Matt wants to do. His 250 motors must use the included motor mount. If the width of the tabs are greater than 6mm, it will not fit without interference to the upright plates when it mounts at 45 degrees to the arm. He could get them in there, but is not ideal as it would be pushing the plates to the side. No reason to jerry-rig stuff if it isnt necessary. The 22mm holes for the 250's were placed axially to the arms for this reason. They may indeed fit, but without knowing all the dimensions of the motor mount, there is only one way to be sure.

Please see pic.
They are not more than 6mm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined May 2012
706 Posts
Quote:
Well I got a little more done today

Attachment 5526533
Very nice Mike! The anticipation is killing me! I got a nice spot cleared out on my workbench and ready!!
RCG Plus Member