HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Question
Flysky gt3c power button

I'm thinking about getting a flysky gt3c but I've heard that the power button in the middle of the steering wheel can get messed up. Anyone have one that can shed some light on this? I only bash in the back yard and might run 2-3 5000mah through my hpi xs flux every weekend so I wont be using it as heavily as say a serious racer so this may help it survive long enough to save up for a nice futaba.
wehan is offline Find More Posts by wehan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:26 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
The GT3B works just as well and doesn't have that issue, but also doesn't have the included lipo battery pack.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:26 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,591 Posts
If you are just using it as intermediate transmitter, while saving for a better one, why not get the GT-2? Basic, but durable.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Why did they move the power button to the wheel!!!! It was fine where it was. I have the GT3B and it is a fine radio but you have to set EXPO in reverse, it is backwards in programming. I put some expo on the throttle yesterday and the car shot off as soon as I touched the throttle!

The GT2, that has no model memory right? The 3's are so cheap.....
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:37 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
^^ The expo isn't backwards, it's totally broken. On the stock firmware the expo is correct in one direction and reversed in the other (much bigger problem with steering than throttle). If you flash the firmware the expo is corrected.

Expo is sometimes backwards, even in high end plane transmitters. Spektrum and Futaba are opposite of each other, so it's best to check before driving/flying if you actually set it the way you want.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
There is a way to flash these as well? Can u point me in the right direction?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:25 AM
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
There is a way to flash these as well? Can u point me in the right direction?
overkillrc.webs.comoverkillrc.webs.com
wehan is offline Find More Posts by wehan
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I haven't heard about the expo issue, but that would explain why I couldn't get it to work .. I have heard about the firmware flash and I will be doing that soon.. as for the power button on the wheel. Not a good place for it.. although the lipo is a nice touch.. The GT2 has no model memory.. you have to make sure the 2nd vehicle is off and adjust for each model. Its a pain considering for about $10 more the GT3 is so much better.
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:52 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
I haven't heard about the expo issue, but that would explain why I couldn't get it to work .. I have heard about the firmware flash and I will be doing that soon.. as for the power button on the wheel. Not a good place for it.. although the lipo is a nice touch.. The GT2 has no model memory.. you have to make sure the 2nd vehicle is off and adjust for each model. Its a pain considering for about $10 more the GT3 is so much better.
You could adjust steering mechanically and every modern ESC learns the throttle range of the gas handle and adapts to it. And once the car is trimmed for running straight, you don't have to keep adjusting, unless you have too much slop in the steering system. But when having more cars to control, model memory does feel more convenient.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Well I AM needed expo for throttle and steering on my small Hobbyking cars. They are twitchy and overpowered. Yes, you can modulate these by hand, but they are more fun to drive and you don't have to work as hard when you have EXPO. I never even thought to use EXPO on a car until these little twitchy cars. Now I feel like it is working in reverse, using negative expo. Am I wrong? Is it my imagination? What exactly is broken?

I'm not above flashing my gt3b but can't solder tiny points. I used a smartie parts board on my 9x to put ER9x on it and now I can't use it because the menus don't make any sense to me. So now I have to take a week and read books and watch videos to use it. Not good. Starting to prefer stock firmware as it did everything I needed anyway. I don't want custom firmware on my gt3b. Is the update just that? And not some crazy language that only programmers will understand?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:37 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,591 Posts
Expo is very convenient for smaller, overpowered cars, can't argue with that. I can only speak for 1/10 scale cars, and even on my brushless powered one, I can drive it well enough without expo. Although on a wet surface I could sometimes use some expo on the throttle, even with 4wd the car will spin out if I am too eager on the throttle.

As for ER9x, it takes a little to get used to, but I would never go back to the stock firmware. This page gives some nice info: http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:15 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Well I AM needed expo for throttle and steering on my small Hobbyking cars. They are twitchy and overpowered. Yes, you can modulate these by hand, but they are more fun to drive and you don't have to work as hard when you have EXPO. I never even thought to use EXPO on a car until these little twitchy cars. Now I feel like it is working in reverse, using negative expo. Am I wrong? Is it my imagination? What exactly is broken?

I'm not above flashing my gt3b but can't solder tiny points. I used a smartie parts board on my 9x to put ER9x on it and now I can't use it because the menus don't make any sense to me. So now I have to take a week and read books and watch videos to use it. Not good. Starting to prefer stock firmware as it did everything I needed anyway. I don't want custom firmware on my gt3b. Is the update just that? And not some crazy language that only programmers will understand?
You don't need to understand any programming language to flash the firmware to the GT3B, you just need to solder the header pins to the PCB inside the TX, and connect to the computer via the programming board (from overkill RC), then use the software in the instructions to flash it. You don't even lose your model memory settings if you follow the instructions.

As for the broken expo, it's "broken" because it works incorrectly in one direction (which direction is up to your interpretation). If you give it a negative percentage you get what is typically negative in one direction (ie turning left), but then in the other direction you get positive (ie turning right). It's a well known and documented bug with the stock firmware. I'm not sure if it was corrected in the GT3C's or not.

If you're not able to solder to the PCB, overkill RC sells them in various stages of being pre-hacked. You could order one with the proper firmware on it and never have to worry about flashing it yourself, or you could get it with the header pins installed, flashed, and the programming board included.

I've got the programming board for mine, and would be willing to flash anyone local for free, but I doubt you're close to me. I would help with soldering the header pins in too in the same situation, all for free as long as you have the TX and header pin part.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:20 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Oh, that's really bad. So I'm better off not using expo no the steering. But it's working well for the throttle, but braking and reverse is affected.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:08 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Yep, correct... unless you like steering to react way different in different directions.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:52 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
The power button wire broke after a short use on my gt3c. I replaced the wires with silicone ones and secured them with hot melt glue. I am quite confident it is fine now. Stock wires get wiggled broken near the solders.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12