HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:21 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Maybe the replacement to the Aurora 9X will be the Aurora 9XR??

SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:44 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
926 Posts
I can see why current owners of the A9 might be let down because the 9X hasn't met their expectations...as their A9 upgrade and replacement.

But for all of use on the outside looking in (ie. thinking about buying a new radio and currently don't have an A9) there is no such let down.

A good radio has been made even better...and for now, the 9X remains in the running for the next radio of choice.

I'll wait for info on price and it's ETA...

-mike-
boiko is online now Find More Posts by boiko
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:09 AM
warbird enthusiast
USA, IN, West Lafayette
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
I'm an A9 user since 2010 and really like it, except they could occassionally update the whole manual - not an easy 2nd radio from the included Dx5 with my Apprentice. Also, all of my club (except 1 Airtronics guy) uses Spektrum, so they can't help me program - hence the need for a GOOD up to date manual!

What would drive me to buy an A9X is if I can use it with my A9 in a buddy box arrangement. I want to fly with my kids, but not mess with any Spektrum stuff or older Optima radios. Any info on this? I like the built-in TxR as I have 3 of those models so far.

Would I miss the modules? YES, because I change mine out with a modified Futaba DSM2 (see another forum on how to do that, or you can buy via a forum a DSMX one now) that fits in perfectly. That is how I fly the BNF Spektrum stuff - otherwise if I was a new buyer, I could see very strongly considering buying a DX8 instead of Hitec 9 or 9X.

The improvement in response time is nice, but I don't really need it yet. That was the #1 argument against the Aurora 9 years ago.

On telemetry, why not incorporate some of their own add-on hardware? Build the "voice" right in to the A9X, and make it programmable within the A9X. Put another screen up top to show telemetry instead of having to look at the bottom. The #1 telemetry thing I use and a reason I chose Hitec is the voltage on my batteries with the Optima 6, 7 or 9 (only fly electric) - I don't need a flight timer with that. On the iPhone/iPod interface (& the Voice), where will that plug in? And while we're at it, they need a Lightning cable version of the Apple interface.

The A9X better fit with my Hitec brand transmitter tray too...

I want to upgrade to an A9X, but come on Hitec, give me a good reason (like buddy box).
Master Onion 5 is offline Find More Posts by Master Onion 5
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Onion 5 View Post
I'm an A9 user since 2010 and really like it, except they could occassionally update the whole manual - not an easy 2nd radio from the included Dx5 with my Apprentice. Also, all of my club (except 1 Airtronics guy) uses Spektrum, so they can't help me program - hence the need for a GOOD up to date manual!
What would drive me to buy an A9X is if I can use it with my A9 in a buddy box arrangement. I want to fly with my kids, but not mess with any Spektrum stuff or older Optima radios. Any info on this? I like the built-in TxR as I have 3 of those models so far.
Would I miss the modules? YES, because I change mine out with a modified Futaba DSM2 (see another forum on how to do that, or you can buy via a forum a DSMX one now) that fits in perfectly. That is how I fly the BNF Spektrum stuff - otherwise if I was a new buyer, I could see very strongly considering buying a DX8 instead of Hitec 9 or 9X.
The improvement in response time is nice, but I don't really need it yet. That was the #1 argument against the Aurora 9 years ago.
On telemetry, why not incorporate some of their own add-on hardware? Build the "voice" right in to the A9X, and make it programmable within the A9X. Put another screen up top to show telemetry instead of having to look at the bottom. The #1 telemetry thing I use and a reason I chose Hitec is the voltage on my batteries with the Optima 6, 7 or 9 (only fly electric) - I don't need a flight timer with that. On the iPhone/iPod interface (& the Voice), where will that plug in? And while we're at it, they need a Lightning cable version of the Apple interface.
The A9X better fit with my Hitec brand transmitter tray too...
I want to upgrade to an A9X, but come on Hitec, give me a good reason (like buddy box).
All Hitec Tx can Buddy one to the other with a few of the lower class e.g. Optic Sport 5 & Lite 4 only enabled as a slave.
Whilst not yet tested, have no doubt the A9X and A9 will have same buddy systems or would have been advised by now.

. Hitec Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up. - & Data Transfer A9<>A9 etc.
- Also covers Eclipse 7 Pro & other Hitec RCD transmitters.

Releases added yesterday to the Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features,
are attached hereto.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:10 PM
warbird enthusiast
USA, IN, West Lafayette
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
A.T., You're The Best

Thank you, Alan. Your FAQ page IS my manual for much of what I do with my Aurora 9, and your support (and Mike Mayberry's official input sometimes) have been invaluable! That's great that I should be able to use the A9 and A9X together for training. I would expect I can just transfer my model setups from the A9 to the A9X not only for the training, but also for when I upgrade to the A9X.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 11:58 AM
Canada, ON, Sault Ste. Marie
Joined Feb 2013
226 Posts
Can anyone tell me when is the 9X due to be released?
Westwind76 is offline Find More Posts by Westwind76
Old Apr 06, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind76 View Post
Can anyone tell me when is the 9X due to be released?
Scheduled to leave factory mid June 2013, depending upon shipping and distribution each country, could be end June early July before seen on retailers shelves.

Alan T.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Trainer Port can be config right now in 5-9 Channels in this new Aurora 9x?
rankfussa is offline Find More Posts by rankfussa
Old Apr 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankfussa View Post
Trainer Port can be config right now in 5-9 Channels in this new Aurora 9x?
Do not understand your question.
As far as I am aware trainer system remains unchanged (can already use all 9ch between student/trainer) as under post #34 above.
If you are referring to the use of Head Tracking equipment, please refer:
. Head tracking: The 9X will support this

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Apr 15, 2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: correct url.
Old May 05, 2013, 02:56 PM
LI NY
Joined Sep 2008
1,013 Posts
Do the Maxima Rx's have telemetry for batt voltage like the optima rx's do?
fierce is offline Find More Posts by fierce
Old May 05, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce View Post
Do the Maxima Rx's have telemetry for batt voltage like the optima rx's do?
Negative, please refer to attached specifications.

Alan T.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined May 2013
88 Posts
To wait for this, or go for a normal Aurora, or a Futaba system, that is my dilemma now.
stressball is offline Find More Posts by stressball
Old May 16, 2013, 09:19 AM
warbird enthusiast
USA, IN, West Lafayette
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
Need More Channels, SD Card

I changed my mind on getting the Aurora 9X. The higher resolution is top notch and the response rate improvement is great despite me not needing it, and the buddy box with my A9 is nice plus copying flight conditions. But there isn't that much more this does than my current Aurora 9, and I lose the ability to use my Spektrum module. Still being limited to 30 models is also an issue (I'm arleady in the 20's including Phoenix simulator setups) - add the SD card slot!!! I want some of the advanced models like Banana Hobby has that require 12 channels, so I hope Hitec comes out with the Aurora 12X (I made up that name) or more soon like Mike Mayberry was hinting at in posts. Otherwise I might have to consider the Futaba 14SG in the similar price range which also now has telemetry. The Spektrum 18 channel radio is too expensive for something that will likely be obsolete in 5 years. I'll probably give it 1 year from now since I have plenty of 9 or less channel models to finish building first. I really don't want to have to carry 2 radios to the field.

If I was just starting out, though, I would be comparing the Aurora 9X to the Spektrum DX8 and probably choose the Aurora 9X plus get a Spektrum DX6i for BNF stuff (savings on Optima receivers vs. Spektrum pays for the $140 DX6i) - or just skip BNF altogether. However, support from my club might swing me in the direction of the DX8 plus the LHS sells a lot of E-flite/Parkzone (they started me on the Apprentice - great trainer plane).
Old May 20, 2013, 03:41 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
439 Posts
Flying the A9 for a couple of years now. top radio, was hoping the new release would have been a 12 channel. Come on Hitec catchup.
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Old May 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
Iceland
Joined Jul 2004
36 Posts
I have had the Aurora 9 for two years and like it very much. I am going to order the new Aurora 9x when it arrives in stores. The new 9x will be my main transmitter but I will keep the older one...
agbjarn is offline Find More Posts by agbjarn