HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:11 AM
Czech Republic, Plzeň Region, Holýšov
Joined Jul 2004
21 Posts
Discussion
New Radios Hitec Aurora 9X

Today's photos from the show in Nurnberg ....
Keml is offline Find More Posts by Keml
Last edited by Keml; Feb 01, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:20 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2006
101 Posts
I've enjoyed my Aurora 9 since I purchase it shortly after it was first released. It is with great sadness that I see this very modest update, as I have been waiting eagerly to upgrade to a new Hitec radio. This appears to be the equivalent of an iPhone 4 to 4s update; including the same case but silver, same display, removed Tx module, 3-position rather than 2-position switches, some software updates, and reduced latency. I can only speculate that the dual processor may be to either address the latency issue or provide the SLT compatibility. But frankly, after so long to have this is very disappointing. If Hitec/Multiplex had released this along with a new flagship transmitter, it might have been a reasonable update, but for their flagship system... well.

I don’t know what percentage of their business their radio systems provide, but after seeing the updated radios that Spektrum, JR and Futaba have released, I'm afraid unless Hitec plans a significant refresh this year, they will have lost the momentum completely that they gained with the release of what was effectively a state of the art system in the A9 at a reasonable price some years ago. For myself, I will have to ponder if I will stay with Hitec for future system purchases, or move to another system. Discussions with others I know who have the A9 suggest they are similarly inclined. Much sadness indeed.
cloudsplitter is offline Find More Posts by cloudsplitter
Last edited by cloudsplitter; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:24 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
508 Posts
A9 owner / flyer since they were released. Same sentiments here.

Any new radio TX I buy will be module based.

Open source unless it has some killer features.

I like touch screen, have 1 A9 and 2 JR 10X, JR nice but Horizon won't let JR module radios into the USA so JR not an upgrade path now.

At least the Turnigy 9XR and the FrSky TX use modules.
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2011
29 Posts
I'm surprised, cloudsplitter. Personally, i dont think it's as bad...
endeavor is offline Find More Posts by endeavor
Last edited by endeavor; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
I'm surprised, cloudsplitter. Personally, i dont think it's as bad...
Endeavour,
Are you a current Aurora 9 user? The majority of long time A9 users like Cloudsplitter and myself (and what seems like the vast majority of people who have commented on other threads here) are VERY disappointed in Hitec. This is nothing more than a slightly improved A9 with a different color case. We were all waiting for the "new flagship" radio with at least 10 to 12 channels to show up as the replacement for the A9.
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:36 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,727 Posts
The worst name choice this part of galaxy they could think...
I give a prize the the one thinking to an even more inappropriate name ...

From now, the forums will be full of: "9X, Aurora 9X"
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2006
101 Posts
Hi endeavor,

With respect, unless I've missed something fundamental, it's not a question of being bad radio, it's a question of falling far short of meeting the user communities expectations. RC Groups is replete with desires for the successor to the A9, most of which other systems have incorporated. This new radio falls very short in many ways. I'm sure it's a reasonable radio, but why settle for this system, when other manufacturers have stepped up their game and moved way beyond this system.

The point is, from the information we have, there does not appear to be anything unique about the A9x (other than the SLT compatibility) that would entice a customer to purchase this system over anything else. As for SLT functionality, I have pulled receivers from a/c with AnyLink reciver and replaced them with Optimas or Minima's to ensure reliable long range performance, except obviously on the micro aircraft. In my opinion, if they wanted to start a relationship that would hook customers into Hitec, I would have suggested they should have started by having their inexpensive radios offered with the RTF aircraft, as Spektrum did with the cheaper DX series.

Please don't misunderstand, I like Hitec/Multiplex equipment and my A9. Indeed when the A9 came out, I made the choice not to go with Futaba, and go with Hitec because of this radio, it's features and it's price point. My hope is that they will hear the disappointment and respond by stepping up their game, because I do like my A9 and hope that they can be competitive and not end up like Kraft and other fine radio manufacturers - in the past, and only producing bits and pieces like servos, and other parts.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:19 AM
Go Aztecs!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Not the flagship?

Given this is a mild update to address some of the perceived A9 shortcomings, could the new Hitec flagship Tx still be on the near horizon?
Aremgi is offline Find More Posts by Aremgi
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Forgive me for asking. But why is this update perceived as falling short. I am not a hitec guy, so I don't understand the nuances of their system. To my uneducated eye it seems like a rather attractive offering. It has faster response, more resolution (which probably doesn't mean much if the servos don't support it) and it removes that awkward module from the back of the radio.

It seems like they took a good radio and just refined it. I can't argue with that approach. Maybe they will come out with an A12 or A18 for those needing more than 9 channels.

The SLT ..bah... i am kinda beyond the desire for everyone to integrate their receiver into an airplane. But then again, I like to build kits.
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, NH, Franklin
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
This hitec owner felt the normal progression would be for all the refinements in the 9X and more channels, A12-A14 would have enticed me to make another purchase.
IRC4LG is offline Find More Posts by IRC4LG
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2006
101 Posts
And an improved display with some of the telemetry features incorporated into the transmitter... For example, the JR 9 has a gorgeous display for monochrome, the A9... looks very dated. Also I would have liked to see some of the telemetry features incorporated into the Tx rather than requiring add-ons. Like I mentioned, I'm sure its a reasonable radio. I had been waiting for some time, and hoping for much more. In the end, to each his own....
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:36 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,509 Posts
Bought the A9 when it first came out, happy with it thus far. I will pass on this new offering as there are no outstanding reasons to purchase it. I can only surmise that there is a reason yet unknown, why there is no externally mounted module. Perhaps there are provisions inside the case to plug-n-play other modules? Maybe a Spektrum module is on the way?
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,727 Posts
> It has faster response

After a lot of arguments were thrown for original Aurora to demonstrate that 55ms latency is not relevant in real life...

> more resolution (which probably doesn't mean much if the servos don't support it)

You got it right this time the same apply for faster response too, your reflexes don't need much faster than it is.

> and it removes that awkward module from the back of the radio.

This is the biggest mistake in your judgment !
A lot of people don't buy a radio today if they can't change RF system !
I dare to evaluate that more people will skip the new Aurora due to lack of module, then those who didn't bought the original model due to the back wire.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:10 AM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,545 Posts
The awkward module and wire could have been changed so easily.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:47 AM
The truth will prevail
Westbury, NY
Joined Nov 2009
682 Posts
I am happy with my A9 as is. Yes it has some deficiencies especially with the new telemetry sensors for the HTS-SS Advance in combination with firmware 1.09(0), the HPP-22 software , ver 1.14(0), the HTS-VOICe , firmware 1.04 and the HTS-Navi.
But the A9x is a step back. So I will not upgrade my A9 to an A9X. The main obstacle for this is that up to now Hitec did not confirm that the new TX and its relevant RX's comply with the new European standard EN 300328 mandotory from 2015 onward.

And yes, I am very glad having just bought another three Optima 9 RX's. So I have actually 9 Optima 9 and 2 Optima 7 RX's in my portfolio.

This will do for the next five years so that I am in a comfortable situation to wait for Hitec's next flagship TX.

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock
Last edited by skyrock; Feb 03, 2013 at 02:55 AM.