SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:00 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
Build Log
Grumania 1/10 Eurofighter

After the demise last summer of my Red Leader Typhoon. Pilot error ending in a very toll tree . We have to cut the tree ....I was frustrated and I order one from Ilja Grum @ Grumania in Germany http://www.grumania.com/
The model is made for a small turbine , but some modellers already electrify this jet with success .
The bad news is the spar located on the front of the fan . The jet did not come with inlet . My only solution was a Schubeler HST 77 fan with the mouth . +
Ilja who is the best to get advices , answers all my questions with lots of patience and came with a great solution to fix the spar problem : A special set of formers made by this company:http://www.modellbauservice.com/
I will cut the spar and make the wing removable
The workmanship of those former are incredible...110 Euros
I will build the plane and share my modest experience until the spring for the test flight
Here what I'm using:
Power : Schubeler DS 77 DIA HST 6240-650 for 12-14 cells
ESC: CC Ice 160 for 12 and I have a COM PRO for 14 cells later
Cells : not sure yet or 12 GEN Ace 5500 mah or 12 8000 mah Nano Tech
Retract Lado 133 serie+ Edoor : main and nose
Delta: JR 3421 . Rudder : Hitec 5125. Canards and steering JR 821
Schubeler provide you with fan jig this way it's easy for the placement and construction( Thank Roger)
I buy the fan from Mike Warren @ http://www.performance-edf.biz/ fast service
Because fuselage is long Ilja cut the nose and the tip of the rudder for shipping . The nose was my first job , I cut all the opening in the fuse and give a good sending with 80 grit to remove all the PVA
Then you start with all the former . Not glue #2 yet because under this one I will instal a tray for the cells , after set up the fan. I think I will have some fun for balancing

The fuselage is well marked and you can not make any mistake.....
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:04 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
The opening for the front will be a bit longer 16 mm ( 110 deg ) and I will made a cut for the weel
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:24 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
845 Posts
Hi Bidule
Sorry to hear about the Your Eurofighter and best of luck with the new build.
I dont want to hog the thread but I have A Red leader Composites Eurofighter.
What fan did you put in it with how many cells ? I thought this jet was a bit heavy for EDF when I got it so I was going to put a Wren 54 into it.
Could you tell what weight your Eurofighter weighed for flying?
Thanks
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:47 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
Hello Steve , I send you a PM
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:26 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
Oh man I am glad to see this thread! I have the same jet sitting at home waiting for me to start the build! I have a Stumax SM110-52 a Dyn-E-Max and a couple Jetfan 90s but haven't decided what I will use but I am leaning towards the Stumax. My biggest challenge will be making a set of inlet ducts. If I just can't get them made, I will probably go with the Jetfans. The only other stuff I have is a set of EFlight retracts and a set of Tamjet struts. I know it sounds crazy but I plan on making it FPV capable and having a full detailed cockpit.

What struts are you going with?

Looking forward to your build!
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:10 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
I'm glad you are happy to see me started....
To make the intake yourself should be possible with patience . It's a long way to the fan. I will try with no duct and use the Stumax with a mouth. The problem is the spar .You don't want a spar on the front of the airflow.
The Lado retract are very robust and well made .
+ Lado sequencer for the doors and retract
I'm using Grumania struts for main and Airpower for the nose . This is solid stuff and I will take off and land on the grass field if is needed.
Tonight I "hysoled "all the front formers and tomorrow setup the steering cables and install the front retract.
Will post more pictures soon.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:52 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,593 Posts
Ilja makes really nice kits. Nice build work JC
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:36 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
I laminate the T ( tank) former with carbon fibre , and I'm using a smal digital MG Savox servo instead of the big JR servo for steering saving ~ 1 once . You don't need the former I will glue the bottom only and cut the top. Later I will glue a small balsa fairing on the front of the servo.
Next front gear and door.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:35 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
I was not so crazy about mounting the servo upside down and I like simple...
I cut the former and simply install the servo behind . Very solid and will be easy for servicing.
The Lado are so easy to install , I know why electric retract became so popular, and those are wort every cent. The door it's very long and "thechspy"if you did not cut the door yet , don't follow the mark. start from the intake. Length is 17 cm
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:03 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info.

Looks good!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:17 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,821 Posts
Nice build! I will follow this thread close as I'm currently doing the Fei bao Eurofighter which is simular sized.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:07 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
Tank you Robert and Henke, I'm very happy with this jet and it's so easy to work with no duct in the way.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:26 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
By the way, are you concerned that the gear door will not open because of the suction with no ducting installed? I had a large Rafale with a Stumax with no ducting and was considering flying it without ducting but found with the fan running, the gear doors would not open. I supposed you could cut the throttle for a few seconds to have them open.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:51 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
The e door can be programmed and as you said I will cut throtle . I can also make a balsa box around the wheel if its a problem....
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:51 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
Did more this morning ( to cold outside -15 c + bad wind)
For the rudder I use a small Savox MG Digital . Made a small box off lamination of lite ply and 1/64 ply+ a epoxy plate and mounted the servo upside down and CA the box in place 17g with servo.
Cut the rudder and glue balsa frame and fin and rudder .
I fixed the tail former who broke during transport ....only damage the rest was 100%
Ok time for a #2 expresso