HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:10 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
For once I thought you were going to get through an entire post without quoting the Bible or mentioning Jesus.....then I read the last paragraph.
Damn, I'm just pleased you suffered through all that.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:42 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
"Highly trained" is irrelevant. Any person who spends the time and expends the effort can teach themselves to do nearly anything. There are a lot of things that come down to technique, and repetition teaches and refines the technique. In a previous life (LOL) I was in the army. I had never fired or even held a weapon of any sort, but I did manage to qualify with the M16A1. I even hit some targets that were 500 yards out by memorizing where they would be, since I could not really see that far when aiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
A single incident 40+ years ago involving a highly trained individual does not support your case.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:46 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
This fails now because of the liberal battle to protect the "dignity" of people with mental issues. The guy in Newtown was unbalanced, plenty of people were aware of that, several people were trying to get him help, but they were stymied at every step. The reason he "snapped" and killed his mother was because he knew she was trying to get him help and he did not want it. There are too many roadblocks to getting people the help they need, and these shootings and other types of attacks are the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
No, perhaps if there was a proper system for reporting people with psychological issues, it would have never happened. He had been seeing a doctor for some time, and the autopsy revealed a brain tumor.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:18 AM
Don't look at me like that....
62pilot's Avatar
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Used a Remington 700 bolt action with a 3 round internal mag to kill 14 people and wound 32 ....

No pistol grip .... No 30 round mag .... No flash suppressor .... No forward grip .... No scary black plastic ....
Careful now, if people can do that well with that kind of weapon, who needs 10+ round mags.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:30 AM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,858 Posts
Quote:
This fails now because of the liberal battle to protect the "dignity" of people with mental issues. The guy in Newtown was unbalanced, plenty of people were aware of that, several people were trying to get him help, but they were stymied at every step. The reason he "snapped" and killed his mother was because he knew she was trying to get him help and he did not want it. There are too many roadblocks to getting people the help they need, and these shootings and other types of attacks are the result.
We lost a great kid, the son-in-law of some very close friends due to the same reason. Everyone tried to get him help; his co-workers, his family, etc., but he refused to see anyone. He was a civilian, working for the DOD, but because he was a civilian and not military, he couldn't be forced to accept help.

About the only "good" thing about his suicide is that he chose to shoot himself and not hurt anyone else. Hurt physically, that is. His wife and family are still in pain, over a year later.

I'm not going to ping the liberals for forcing the mentally ill into the mainstream, because too many conservatives have gone along with it, using the excuse of saving money. Both sides are guilty.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:17 AM
Registered User
Sherlock's Avatar
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Actually it does support his case.
Nope.
Sherlock is offline Find More Posts by Sherlock
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:18 AM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
I'm not going to ping the liberals for forcing the mentally ill into the mainstream, because too many conservatives have gone along with it, using the excuse of saving money. Both sides are guilty.

CD
Agreed
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:23 AM
Registered User
Sherlock's Avatar
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
"Highly trained" is irrelevant. Any person who spends the time and expends the effort can teach themselves to do nearly anything. There are a lot of things that come down to technique, and repetition teaches and refines the technique. In a previous life (LOL) I was in the army. I had never fired or even held a weapon of any sort, but I did manage to qualify with the M16A1. I even hit some targets that were 500 yards out by memorizing where they would be, since I could not really see that far when aiming.
No, it is relevant. Of course bolt action rifles have been used in crimes. In the case cited a highly trained individual was able to kill many with one. That does not detract from the arguments for banning assault rifles. Military training is not comparable to an individual "training" himself. Assault rifles and high capacity mags make it easy for anyone to kill many with no training.
Sherlock is offline Find More Posts by Sherlock
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:25 AM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
Careful now, if people can do that well with that kind of weapon, who needs 10+ round mags.
Need is not the issue. It never was. But progressives like to throw this word around all the time ... 'Need' .... By imposing restrictions based on need, the person given the power to determin need, has power over all.

No one "needs" to consume more that x calories in a day .... No one needs x number of cars ..... No one needs x square feet to live in ...

One thing that is for sure .... The people determining other people's needs will never be restricted to those same limitations .... History has proven this out time and time again.

The idea of 'need' is a classic method to creating class conflict. By telling people what they need you can create envy. By negating a person's right to ownership, the state can confiscate property no longer 'needed' by the individual or prevent people from ownership and thereby controlling the distribution of property .... Doling it out of course as they see fit.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Last edited by logan5; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:24 AM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Who "needs" a Mercedes-Benz when a Ford Focus will do the job just as well?
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:55 AM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Who "needs" a Mercedes-Benz when a Ford Focus will do the job just as well?
You will be assigned a car based on your level of need .... Of course those with political ties will have a greater need than you.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Last edited by logan5; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:20 PM
Don't look at me like that....
62pilot's Avatar
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Need is not the issue. It never was. But progressives like to throw this word around all the time ... 'Need' .... By imposing restrictions based on need, the person given the power to determin need, has power over all.

No one "needs" to consume more that x calories in a day .... No one needs x number of cars ..... No one needs x square feet to live in ...

One thing that is for sure .... The people determining other people's needs will never be restricted to those same limitations .... History has proven this out time and time again.

The idea of 'need' is a classic method to creating class conflict. By telling people what they need you can create envy. By negating a person's right to ownership, the state can confiscate property no longer 'needed' by the individual or prevent people from ownership and thereby controlling the distribution of property .... Doling it out of course as they see fit.
I agree, I was just saying...........
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:22 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,813 Posts
The nitty gritty about need is that we need clothes, three hots a day and a cot. Literally translated we need food, clothing, and a place to sleep. That is what we need. That is besides air and water which is freely available in most places.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:56 AM
Registered User
Usta Bee's Avatar
Joined Jul 2004
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
No, it is relevant. Of course bolt action rifles have been used in crimes. In the case cited a highly trained individual was able to kill many with one. That does not detract from the arguments for banning assault rifles. Military training is not comparable to an individual "training" himself. Assault rifles and high capacity mags make it easy for anyone to kill many with no training.
That was just a Whitman sampler, just think how many he could have killed with an assualt rifle.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:13 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Twizter68's Avatar
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
This fails now because of the liberal battle to protect the "dignity" of people with mental issues. The guy in Newtown was unbalanced, plenty of people were aware of that, several people were trying to get him help, but they were stymied at every step. The reason he "snapped" and killed his mother was because he knew she was trying to get him help and he did not want it. There are too many roadblocks to getting people the help they need, and these shootings and other types of attacks are the result.
This is not just the fault of the liberals; conservatives went along with it due to cost savings.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swap Meet Whitman Flyers R/C Swap Meet 3/17/2013 Melville NY 11747 Whitman Flyers Fuel Power Events 2 Mar 10, 2013 11:21 AM
For Sale Whitman Flyers R/C Swap Meet 3/17/2013 Melville NY 11747 Whitman Flyers Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 26, 2013 04:36 PM
Swap Meet Whitman Flyers R/C Swap Meet 3/17/2013 Melville NY 11747 Whitman Flyers Electric Flight Events 0 Jan 26, 2013 04:32 PM
Download Ace Whitman Air King plan, a 24in span free flight rubber by Ace Whitman kit planeman Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 5 May 22, 2010 01:54 PM