HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dambit, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:07 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
In this case you going to need to balance the prop with the spinner attached? I only ask bc you may get more resin on one side than the other. Maybe its light enough to not even matter?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:37 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Yeah that's a good point. Thanks for bringing it up as I hadn't thought about the hub itself needing to be balanced.

I am still hoping to be able to find a suitable spinner I can buy somewhere. Will be easier
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:29 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Here are a couple of pics from tonight.

It doesn't look like much has been done, but believe me it has. Lots of filling and sanding and repeat. The nose is nearly good enough for my liking, I only have to smooth it out now. The cowl on the other hand looks ok from this angle, but will need to be remade. It is not the correct size and is not even circular. It would be great to find a cowl in this scale I could just buy, but I haven't found any yet. (1:7.5 scale)

I have Philip from PW-RC hunting down a pair of 109 exhaust stacks for me to modify and install, as well as the supercharger intake (which he thought was the exhaust ).

So all in all, progress is being made, but it's not obvious. It's stealth progress

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:31 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
The only reason i mentioned the whole hub is bc the FMS zero i have, the props connect to that, and if your spinner is similar it could throw the "prop" off balance if you have too much weight on one side of the spinner, or so i would think. I have done VERY LITTLE balancing of props so i am not sure if it would affect it a lot, a little, or any at all. Like i said before though, i LOOKS great. Lets hope it functions as good as it looks
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Thanks

Until I can find or make the correct spinner I will be using the stock 190 prop assembly. Except I'll be using my props and not the FMS ones as they are so small they look stupid

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:50 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Ok Peeps,

Here are a few pics of the 190 as of tonight.

The black nose section is what I've been working on and is almost ready to be fiber glassed. Just a couple of areas to level and smooth and it'll be good to go.

The front cowl is the rubbish one I made. I am going to remake this properly soon, but I use this one as a stand in at the moment.

I also stenciled out the exhaust stack area on the nose to help imagine the final layout. It was a little thick in these pics and I have since narrowed it to the correct height.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:56 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Ok All,

Got a bit bored waiting to begin fiber glassing, still some details to add, so I decided to do a test fitting of the motor. Here are some pics.

Remember, this cowl is only a stand in. The proper one will be made soon.

I'll be glassing the nose later this week.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:41 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Been fiber glassing today. Talk about a messy job!

I'll post some pics tomorrow of the nose shell. Assuming I can get it off the plug
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:29 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Ok,

Here is a shot of the glassed nose section. If it looks pretty messy that's because it is Nothing a bit of filling and sanding can't fix.

I just have to add some more layers to the fire wall to stiffen it up, add a battery tray inside and then it'll be ready to be permanently attached.

The foam plug was proving too difficult to remove, so I have left about an inch around the periphery of the shell but have hollowed out the center in the same pattern as the stock nose. This way it will be easy to make the shelf for the battery and still have plenty of room under that for wires and air etc. Mind you the supercharger scoop will allow more than enough of that to get in

Now it's onto the cowl.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:52 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Ok Peeps,

A couple of quick shots.

One is showing the battery shelf inside the nose. I decided to leave much of the foam plug in place and simply replicate the stock cavity shape the plane originally had. The balsa shelf has since been glassed over and is now strong.

The other pic shows the motor mounted to the firewall. One word... SOLID
This one will not be spinning off anytime soon.

In case someone is thinking that I've added down thrust, well I haven't. It just looks that way because the nose section is held on with painters tape and has drooped thanks to the motor weight.

Time to start sanding now, and along with that comes the inevitable fiberglass itch Oh well to be expected.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:42 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Hi All,

Here are some shots from today.

Remember the dodgy cowl is only a stand-in until I make the correct one.

Nearly ready to permanently attach the nose section to the fuselage. I just have to epoxy in the motor mount bolts and it'll be ready. Then I can begin to smooth and blend the nose to the fuselage.

Starting to look like a Dora now

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:29 AM
Make me a proper Spitfire!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,016 Posts
Coming along nicely Steve!.....The issue is , the tail seems to be a bit off center You don't need any right trust now....

Cheers,
Terje
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:17 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Cheers mate.

Yep you got it. Just need to do a slight adjustment to the tail section to make it straight.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:38 PM
Würgerholic
United States, CA, San Leandro
Joined Jul 2009
34 Posts
Looking fantastic!
WWChunk is offline Find More Posts by WWChunk
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:53 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011