HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
71 Posts
Discussion
Painting Foam

Helo everyone

My first post here. I am wanting to paint a new a/c that I will be getting and wondering if you thought the attached paint would be ok to use. It will go over the exsisting paint.

Thanks
ElectFoam is offline Find More Posts by ElectFoam
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:08 AM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
I'd say you're taking a risk. Testors brand works well as long as you use fine coats.
Water based paints works well too such as Krylon brand, but spraying it on evenly can be challenging.
If you do decide on that particular brand, test a small part of your plane with it, somewhere you can barely notice.
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
ElectFoam,
What kind of foam is your plane made out of?
If it's EPS (beer cooler type) foam or depron, that paint will likely eat it. If you're working with EPO or EPP foam, you'll probably be ok.

Can you share a pic or link to your model?

I agree with gofish...Testors has been ok on every kind foam that I have tried so far.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
ElectFoam,
What kind of foam is your plane made out of?
If it's EPS (beer cooler type) foam or depron, that paint will likely eat it. If you're working with EPO or EPP foam, you'll probably be ok.

Can you share a pic or link to your model?

I agree with gofish...Testors has been ok on every kind foam that I have tried so far.
I will not recieve the plane until next week, but it is EPO foam. Today I did a test on pink foam and white foam from a shipping box, and did not like what I saw. , So I have decided to go with water based acrylic which I did test on another model and liked the results so far.

Thanks for your replys
ElectFoam is offline Find More Posts by ElectFoam
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:43 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectFoam View Post
I will not recieve the plane until next week, but it is EPO foam. Today I did a test on pink foam and white foam from a shipping box, and did not like what I saw. , So I have decided to go with water based acrylic which I did test on another model and liked the results so far.

Thanks for your replys

Hi, I am actually working in a 737-700 and a MIG-15. And I have a smooth finish using Magikote, a light wait filler "Fast and final" and a water base acrylic polyurethane "Stays Clear" (Benjamin Moore). the surface are smooth and you can not see the shape of the foam, it looks like fiberglass. very happy with the results.
I also bought this week an airbrush and spray gun HVLP, never used those things but I will learn.
Luiselopez39 is offline Find More Posts by Luiselopez39
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,713 Posts
so is it better to use a water base spray primer first? thinking about painting ny Ares Gamma 370 before assembly. Thanks for any advise, Lane
Laneritc is offline Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
primer coat

"so is it better to use a water base spray primer first? thinking about painting ny Ares Gamma 370 before assembly. Thanks for any advise, Lane "

Just make sure the primer is compatible with the cover coat or you will have a gooey mess underneath
rdcracer1 is offline Find More Posts by rdcracer1
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:54 AM
bbz
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectFoam View Post

Thanks for your replys
It really depends on the foam. Most foam that gets used in packing is EPS (expanded polystyrene) Which melts with most spray paint and superglue. From what i hear EPO will not melt with spray paint and superglue.

If you spray EPS in the sun (so it dries fast) and from far enough away with a few light coats you can get away with minimal melting if any.
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:51 PM
Lynnwood, wa
Joined Oct 2007
91 Posts
I just painted styrofoam using the Short Cuts by Krylon. All was well untill I added the white for the stripes to turn the J3 into a Grasshopper. It ate into the foam, but took a long time to do so. The dark green, and black, no problem. It did not eat through the wing, but certainly made some ditches in the foam. Time to get me an airbrush
Vethraxx is offline Find More Posts by Vethraxx
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
Foam crusher
United States, MN, Granite Falls
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
painting foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vethraxx View Post
I just painted styrofoam using the Short Cuts by Krylon. All was well untill I added the white for the stripes to turn the J3 into a Grasshopper. It ate into the foam, but took a long time to do so. The dark green, and black, no problem. It did not eat through the wing, but certainly made some ditches in the foam. Time to get me an airbrush

I have had good success painting any kind of foam by first brushing on a thin coat of polyurethane (commonly used on wood). Allow it to dry thoroughly and then lightly sand it smooth with a 220 grit paper. Be careful not to sand through the polyurethane. Then you can use any normal spray paint to color coat the foam. Make the first coat very thin and spray from about 12" away from the foam. Let the first coat dry and spray again as many times as needed for the desired finish.
wingman456 is offline Find More Posts by wingman456