HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:21 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,601 Posts
You never know, sales might prove this airframe to be x amount more popular than the standard Rifle, therefore they might consider making it a bit bigger next time around.

Considering the market, I'd be interested to know how many units they have to sell to make it worthwhile manufacturing it, 1000, 1500?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Last edited by feefo; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:27 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
Very true...

I assume it will be a huge success. The gripes about the original Rifle were, Too small, too fast (mostly related to the size), and launching problems.

After a while you can launch successfully every launch, however it took me 3 airframes... I admit all of them being super rifles, but STILL, if it were a 1m, or 1.3 it would just about fly out of your hand no matter what power setup was in it. Unfortunately with my Mega powered Rifles, with wing spar, they ended up being awful for launches... The first 30 or so feet had no control response, and the torque with the larger powersystem made launches very exciting... It got to the point where I only likes flying my rifle with a ~10 mph wind to launch into, without it its a pain to launch

That being said, the bigger Rifle takes care of two birds with one stone, I assume a bigger rifle would do even better! The 1m is a small niche, the 1.3m is fairly large, and possibly largER if there was a more affordable "sport" F5D airframe. Look at the success of the Mibo/Ewasp
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
....... Even the Dago Red and VooDoo "pylon" plane from HL had a very large wing (i think 1.4)
Oh god, don't get me started on that 1...utter trash

Quote:
....Look at the success of the Mibo/Ewasp
The success of that model comes from competitive pricing on both the US and EU markets. The Rifle is primarily aimed at the US market through it's pricing (prob unintentionally), look at the thread and check out how many replies are not based in the US....not many. How many more sales might GP had if it was cheaper over here? I don't know TBH, but I'd have had a couple if that makes any difference .
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:29 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,326 Posts
I dont think I even saw a rifle in stock in a LHS in NZ

Got mine from Tower, shipped to the bottom of the world, still very cheap

The wasp is popular as there is very little else like it, its great quality, sharply priced, and just flies right. Launchmodels "marketing" is virtually non existent, I bet more have been sold by the Rcgroups thread than any other means!

Was talking to a member of another club yesterday, about my rifle sitting in the pits.
He said he bought one online but when it turned up he saw how damn small it was, and so it remains under his bench still in the box! I think bigger will sell even better.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
I dont think I even saw a rifle in stock in a LHS in NZ

Got mine from Tower, shipped to the bottom of the world, still very cheap

The wasp is popular as there is very little else like it, its great quality, sharply priced, and just flies right. Launchmodels "marketing" is virtually non existent, I bet more have been sold by the Rcgroups thread than any other means!

Was talking to a member of another club yesterday, about my rifle sitting in the pits.
He said he bought one online but when it turned up he saw how damn small it was, and so it remains under his bench still in the box! I think bigger will sell even better.
Something to thank Hobbyking for then, apart from lipo's and esc's?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Very true...

I assume it will be a huge success. The gripes about the original Rifle were, Too small, too fast (mostly related to the size), and launching problems.

After a while you can launch successfully every launch, however it took me 3 airframes... I admit all of them being super rifles, but STILL, if it were a 1m, or 1.3 it would just about fly out of your hand no matter what power setup was in it. Unfortunately with my Mega powered Rifles, with wing spar, they ended up being awful for launches... The first 30 or so feet had no control response, and the torque with the larger powersystem made launches very exciting... It got to the point where I only likes flying my rifle with a ~10 mph wind to launch into, without it its a pain to launch

That being said, the bigger Rifle takes care of two birds with one stone, I assume a bigger rifle would do even better! The 1m is a small niche, the 1.3m is fairly large, and possibly largER if there was a more affordable "sport" F5D airframe. Look at the success of the Mibo/Ewasp

those where the reasons why i never got it . i was subcribed to that thread and after reading about all that was needed for it to be fast ,and then on top of that it was small and hard to launch i started looking at something else , which i didnt get . im glad i didnt cause now i can get this .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
GP, ya listening? The 1m is a great idea, but a 1.3-1.4 would be the ticket!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:25 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,326 Posts
Damnit, just make me a 8m one I can sit in!

1m will look a lot larger than the original, and it looks to have more room in the fuselage than the wasp (and is probably slipperier too boot)

Jacko ( who currently has a 1m ruler lying on top of the original rifle )
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
lol, When I found out there was going to be a 1M Rifle I did the exact same thing.

Yes much better, but then I looked over at 1.5m DLG, then at a torn up Viper (got it for free expecting to rebuild it.... its too damaged though)... Then realised the 1M is great but they need a 1.3-1.4!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Yes..................+1 on 1.3-1.4m
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
Sorry Tim and GP, I really do love the new 1M Rifle, and I will be purchasing one.

I didn't mean to derail the thread or take away from what the new rifle will be. However, I do believe the people have spoken and their should be plans in the drawing board for next time!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:35 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,813 Posts
Hey, not at all!

I'll throw that one up the chain (of command) when the time is right.

Thanks!

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Still planning on getting the 1M rifle..
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Damnit, just make me a 8m one I can sit in!

1m will look a lot larger than the original, and it looks to have more room in the fuselage than the wasp (and is probably slipperier too boot)

Jacko ( who currently has a 1m ruler lying on top of the original rifle )
Seems it's just a little longer than a Stiletto.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,601 Posts
Maybe a 1.2mtr wing along with a slightly bigger stab would fit on the 1m fuse?