SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:08 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
NICE ! Thats alot of BANG for $150 bones......I for sure will have to snag one for chits & giggles.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Feb 01, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:24 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Awesome ! Sign me up for one ! Any idea on the date availability ?
NeilRivera is offline Find More Posts by NeilRivera
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:21 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Im thinking higher speeds = higher quality then the original one.

It better be of higher quality.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
Quote:
It better be of higher quality.
How can you expect higher quality for the price? That's all I hear from people... I want a $1000 airframe for $100.... its not going to happen....

The simple fact is the Rifle just grew by quite a bit. It can fit larger power systems, and has a wing with a carbon spar ready to crank and bank at 160 comfortably. How can you POSSIBLY ask for any more for $150??

This is on top of all the other changes, such as a white gel coat rather than paint, IE no more sanding the hinges for smooth operation....

Just sayin....

Way to go Tim and all the others at GP. If people don't like the improvements that this Rifle are going to come with, then they better be ready to pay double or triple... or quadruple... or more for an airframe that they can still grime about.
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:08 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
How can you expect higher quality for the price? That's all I hear from people... I want a $1000 airframe for $100.... its not going to happen....

The simple fact is the Rifle just grew by quite a bit. It can fit larger power systems, and has a wing with a carbon spar ready to crank and bank at 160 comfortably. How can you POSSIBLY ask for any more for $150??

This is on top of all the other changes, such as a white gel coat rather than paint, IE no more sanding the hinges for smooth operation....

Just sayin....

Way to go Tim and all the others at GP. If people don't like the improvements that this Rifle are going to come with, then they better be ready to pay double or triple... or quadruple... or more for an airframe that they can still grime about.
Totally agree, if it does retail at $150 what's there to complain about? Look at Icare, they want $140 for a Topmodel Stinger and $170 for a Topmodel Cavallino. I bought a Stinger and sold it before assembly as I didn't think it was that well made, the Cavallino is alright, but the wing section is thick and I suffered flutter after a high climb and power on dive. Certainy not capable of the speeds the Rifle or Rifle 1m can do.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:45 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
It looks like the bargain of the year at that price, thats a lot of plane for the $!

Fixing the paint (too much of it) issues with the original rifle will solve lots of the gripes, along with ditching the torque rod setup.

The only issue I see is that now its going to be easy to stick far too much power into it, which could end badly..

The larger size of it is going to increase the market of potential buyers too, lots of pilots find 30" racers too small.

Ill take 1, or 2
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:56 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
I don't know where the $150.00 came from friends. I believe the "street price" at this point is slated to be $159.99 (again, including a better spinner - I ran a couple of units for all test flying and on every one of those hot setups previously mentioned - that 1112/2D 4S setup on a 4.7 x 4.25 turned an average of 42,550rpm in the air).

More official images and the manual will appear on the web site soon - when the manual is viewable that will answer many more questions. Maybe in a week or so.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, availability is late spring/early summer.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
Sorry, I was just rounding numbers... Even at 159 the argument is still sound. I'm not sure how anyone can ask for "more" at that price.

I'm lookin forward to it Tim!
Let me know if there are any that might beat the shelves! I'd love to get one of these in the air ASAP
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:12 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
Ha ha, will do, but I'm first in line!

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:26 AM
the seventh planet
Joined Dec 2010
494 Posts
Nice work Tim/Great Planes. As an owner of two V1's one over 100 flights till a wing fold second sold after around the same. I had great luck with the first Gen Rifle. Great support from GP and a blast to fly. The slightly bigger brother M1 will be a great performer I can bet. Can't wait for more details
Edhs is offline Find More Posts by Edhs
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:36 AM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
481 Posts
Dang,,,My rifle is in heaven now,,may she rest in pieces due to a bad launch. I now may have to get the bigger new rifle. I do hope it will be abit more user friendly on launch and landings.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
Dang,,,My rifle is in heaven now,,may she rest in pieces due to a bad launch. I now may have to get the bigger new rifle. I do hope it will be abit more user friendly on launch and landings.
It should. If you ever get to launch a Sunracer you will notice how much easier they launch.

The New 1M Rifle is essentially in the class of old F5D, and the current Sunracer.

The original Rifle has a wing area of 112in^2, where as the Sunracer has a wing area of 160in^2. The increase in wing made the Sunracer quite a bit easier to launch, and see. The New Rifle 1meter has a wing area of 174in^2, thats an increase of over ~40%, with an increase in of only around ~24%. this results in a wing loading of 22-28oz/ft^2 on the original Rifle, and 21.6oz/ft^2 on the Rifle 1M... So yes, easier launching.

Here is a blip from Tim
Quote:
The published wing loading of the regular Rifle (outfitted with a 24mm motor and a 1500mAh battery) is 22 – 23 oz./sq. ft. At around 300W this setup is pretty easy to launch. But the weight outfitted with a “mid-speed” setup (around 420 Watts), a 3S 1800mAh 25C battery and a 28mm motor and a non-modified wing is right at 20 oz. With a wing area of 112 sq. in that puts the wing loading at 25.7 oz/sq. ft. This is a nice-flying, easy-launching, fast (130-ish?) every-day setup. I also have a couple of “Super Rifles” with carbon spars and paint jobs that bring the weight closer to around 22 oz. for a wing loading of 28 oz/sq. ft. These could be trickier to launch, but there is so much power on tap I usually don’t have any problems. Now, with the recommended 28-45-3600 Ammo, 3S 2200mAh 30C battery and 50A ESC the Rifle 1M weighs 26.1 oz. With a wing area of 174 sq. in. that’s a wing loading of 21.6 oz/sq. ft. So the weight (and wing loading) has been improved. Unlike the regular Rifle, there is no white base paint on the 1M – the white you see is the gel coat while the orange and black trim is paint. Obviously, in addition to reduced weight, this also contributes to extremely “free and easy” elevator and aileron movement.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:49 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
Just ordered a MEGA 16/25/1.5R. 3750kV, 115g weight (compared to recommeded 28-45-3600kV Ammo - 133g).

I like the 4.5 x 4.1 on the Ammo, but the 4.7 x 4.25 is also fine and 4.75 x 4.75 if you really want to push the motor. I ran the 4.75 x 4.75 a few times by accident thinking it was a 4.5 x 4.1. As usual, those flights were WOT and the motor seemed to be fine, but I know it was outside its comfort zone (don't have the numbers here at home with me, but I do have them at work). The 4.75 x 4.75 would be fine if you don't mind shutting down a few times in flight allowing the motor to cool, but I like to fly WOT for the duration.

So, I was thinking the MEGA 3750kV should turn the 4.75 x 4.75 all day, or maybe even a 5.0 x 5.0???

Talking all 3S here. That's really where the "1M" is happy weight-wise.

Will be a while before I get the motor and we get weather to try it, but I'll keep you posted.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
'Nother thing I would do is use Airtronics 94802 servos for the ailerons (same as Hyperion DS-09):

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYZW1&P=7

Then, replace the stock aileroin hatch covers that have the little, molded-in "hood" with flat covers I can make myself. The recommended Futaba S3156 servos are 11mm thick (width) and the hood on the cover is barely required to clear the servos, but 9mm Airtronics will clear just a flat hatch cover.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
823 Posts
I just got some hitec 45hb to try for ailerons on another plane, they are 9 and change mm thick. If they will let a flush cover fit they could be the best bagain price choice. HB gears so no slop, $16 each, and $3 for a fresh set of gears.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit