HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
First timer looking for advice on what plane to get.

Hi i'm new to RC airplanes and looking to buy one. I've flown several micro rc helicopters and the avitron ornithropter. I'm looking for an beginner's RC airplane for around 100$ if anyone has any sugggestions please do so. I live in southern california so the only place i can really fly is at parks.
tpearson4750 is offline Find More Posts by tpearson4750
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:06 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
On your budget I would look at the Champ. It is RTF (ready to fly) out of the box 3 ch trainer. Only real draw back is you need no to very little wind. If the wind is over 5-6mph, it will toss that little booger all around and will be hard learning. 0-3mph winds are ideal for a biginner and this plane. Once you get better you can fly in 6-8mph winds ok in this little plane. It doesnt look reall cool but it will teach you. The better investment is in a RC simulator. You can crash all the planes you want and just reset the thing. Can't do that with a real plane.

http://www.salesavo.com/avo.php/Sale...F_by_HobbyZone

I don't know anything about this company but $73.00 is a good price for this RTF.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:09 PM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,016 Posts
champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ

its almost indestructible. thats the main thing when your learning to fly.

you could also look into getting a hobbyzone stratos, they are bigger but will teach you more. they are $110 at my LHS.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice I will buy one shortly @colj00 and @Colbyntx
tpearson4750 is offline Find More Posts by tpearson4750
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:18 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
I'll third the Hobbyzone Champ recommendation. If all you have to spend is $100 the champ is probably your best option. Ultimate Hobbies sells them for only $75 if you happen to live anywhere near Orange, CA. Be careful not to fly it too far away (the transmitter included with it only has ~400-600ft range). Also the charger included runs on AA's. You'll have to buy the ac adapter in order to plug it into the wall.

There's also the hobbyzone mini super cub but personally I'd go with the champ since you get a 2.4ghz DSM2 receiver built in instead of 27Mhz.

You might also be able to build a trainer yourself if you use cheap parts.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:31 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
Coming in just under 100 bucks, this is what I learned on http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXMUY1&P=8

Might not fit your criteria as a park flyer, but is as smooth and clean as any three channel.

After this I moved to a popwing. Fun and cheap
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:35 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Hobbyzone Champ, no question, with a better controller, that you may want to advance into the hobby, sounds like you already have one, with the Heli's?

Wind is a challenge, wind will always be around, makes the world go round.

Champ comes in a nice portable case, ready available parts, and simple mods to make it a better plane.

Brought to any open field, and keeping your enemies not close, but far, the trees, you have a great time.

Remember to keep your flights around 12 minutes and rest, and the champ will go a long way.

Champ is not indestructable, it is a Micro plane, as long as we respect her size, she is industructable, in that way. treat her like a lady and she be your most delightfull trainer ever.
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:56 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
Coming in just under 100 bucks, this is what I learned on http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXMUY1&P=8

Might not fit your criteria as a park flyer, but is as smooth and clean as any three channel.

After this I moved to a popwing. Fun and cheap
That used to be the way for the train yourselfer, and it's perfect if you have an experienced flyer next to you to take it up to altitude on the first flights. However, the champ is a lot more durable and is better if you have nobody to help you. Also, that glider requires a radio and charger so it's easily a $150-$200 project.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:11 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,170 Posts
I agree with the above on the champ, nice little RTF trainer, but if your flying Heli's and already have a Radio system and you don't mind a light build, and want something alot bigger, you can put together a GWS Slow Stick for a 100$ + or - it's what I learned to fly on, and still love it! probably got 150+ flights on the same one I started with!
tupeloflyer is online now Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:22 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
Champ... been flying planes for 2 years....still have a Champ to cruise around the backyard
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:59 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
So true with the SS (slowstick). the propeller, will be the thing to watch out for? I like to keep to a 36 inch wing, that is me.
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Another vote for the CHAMP!!! I just got the Champ a month ago and am learning to fly it. Flys great with no wind, even after gluing the wing back together. Easy to fly, easy to repair. I just used plain carpenters glue and that worked great.
Kodiak42 is offline Find More Posts by Kodiak42
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:30 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ champ

its almost indestructible. thats the main thing when your learning to fly.

you could also look into getting a hobbyzone stratos, they are bigger but will teach you more. they are $110 at my LHS.
A blatant abuse of copy paste? :-)
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:18 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
Champ!
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:49 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012