HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:08 PM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
625 Posts
Discussion
Classic Vintage Toy gun commercials

Remember these?? These were the good ol days. Can you imagine the libs flippin out on these today?

MATTEL SNUB NOISE 38 CLASSIC COMMERCIALS on DVDS at TVDAYS.com (1 min 2 sec)

Mattel Tommy Burst TV commercial 1960s! (1 min 1 sec)

DICK TRACY WATER POWER JET GUN SET MATTEL TOYS (1 min 3 sec)

MATTEL TOYS THUNDERBURP GUN (1 min 1 sec)
Mike McCrea is offline Find More Posts by Mike McCrea
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,658 Posts
Oh that's horrible.

I remember though the caps were more fun to smash all at once with a hammer or a good rock. I'd go to the store, buy a box and go make some noise.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:45 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,943 Posts
I had several of those Thompsons when I was a youngster. We used to routinely play Army in the woods, and those of us with Tommy guns used to be in demand.

The problem with them was that most of them used perforated caps. They fed through the guns okay; pull back the bolt to charge the spring and you could shoot a long burst. The bad part was that the caps were so unreliable. I'd guess that MAYBE half would go off when hit. So, you'd get click, click, BANG,click,BANG,BANG, etc.

CD

BTW, one of our neighbors has two Johnny Reb toy cannons on their front lawns.
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Look at those prices too.

Inflation
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:20 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Nearly all those toy guns would bring lotsabux on ebay.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:36 AM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
625 Posts
The Johnny Seven..
1964 JOHNNY SEVEN OMA TOY GUN COMMERCIAL (1 min 16 sec)

MATTEL TOYS WESTERN GUN FIGHT SWIVEL HOLSTER GUN SET (1 min 2 sec)
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:42 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Roy Rogers Quick Trigger Shooter Hat: Vintage Toys & Games for Christmas (0 min 49 sec)
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:17 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,427 Posts
Yup - I remember many of those adverts (as I am that old).

I also remember adverts for smoking, supported by doctors, for such things as weight loss etc. And adverts involving "Gollywogs" and so forth..

What I don't understand is why some people need to even twist historical things around to assuage their own current beliefs and egos, as witnessed by such comments as "the libs would flip.." etc.

Interesting it is, political it ain't..
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:38 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,142 Posts
I remember the Mattel Fanner Fifty very well (although I didn't have the trick "swivel holster" shown in that ad). Anyone remember how the little cartridges worked with the grey plastic bullets that were spring loaded? And the "Greeny Stick-um Caps" that you had to stick onto each cartridge? Man, loading that thing was a lot of work!

The other funny thing to me about that "swivel holster" ad is the fact that it seems clearly to be a form of cheating. Particularly the trick with the string where the kid raises his hands and shoots his opponent. Where was their sense of ethics? Seems to me that if any real gunslinger in the Old West actually resorted to such a cheap trick he wouldn't last very long before his body turned up in a ditch somewhere with a few slugs in his back!
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post

I also remember adverts for smoking, supported by doctors, for such things as weight loss etc. And adverts involving "Gollywogs" and so forth..

What I don't understand is why some people need to even twist historical things around to assuage their own current beliefs and egos, as witnessed by such comments as "the libs would flip.." etc.

I remember them as well, especially the Johnny seven gun, living on a new housing estate as a child me and my mates had almost unlimited urban wasteland to play wars in.
Building dens from bricks and boards left around by the builders, took up a lot of my weekends and evenings.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:03 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
I remember them as well, especially the Johnny seven gun, living on a new housing estate as a child me and my mates had almost unlimited urban wasteland to play wars in.
Building dens from bricks and boards left around by the builders, took up a lot of my weekends and evenings.
We had bombed out buildings around us, which we played in (I still have a large scar on my hand where I managed to press a shard of glass from one of the broken windows almost through it.. ) then, after we moved, a woods across the road.

Had great fun making the middle of a giant Rhododendron bush our den!

Do you remember the Cap Bombs, Punkie?
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:41 AM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post

Smoking causes cancer, so I understand that one, but toy guns don't cause shootings do they? You don't think the libs would freak out today if a toy gun commercial was shown on TV today? I do
If toy guns and playing army does not cause a kid to turn into a criminal and shoot people why is it politically correct to not have toy gun commercials today?
Some of my best childhood memories is playin army with my plastic Thompson.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:54 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCrea View Post
Smoking causes cancer, so I understand that one, but toy guns don't cause shootings do they? You don't think the libs would freak out today if a toy gun commercial was shown on TV today? I do
If toy guns and playing army does not cause a kid to turn into a criminal and shoot people why is it politically correct to not have toy gun commercials today?
Some of my best childhood memories is playin army with my plastic Thompson.
Some people certainly would have a hernia over them. Funny, when those commercials were on, kids never brought guns to school, even though they were much easier to get. I wish I still had my Secret Sam Snapshot and Radio Rifle. Don't even get me started about my James Bond Attache Case!
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:58 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Oozinator - Questionable Super Soaker (0 min 16 sec)
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:03 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
. Don't even get me started about my James Bond Attache Case!
Oh My goodness..... i had one! and it even had the hidden knife compartment

I used to have a plastic, 1911 that fired a 2 part bullet.... the casing had a pressed in bullet (not sure or remember the tension part, spring, plastic) but once the hammer dropped onto the back casing the bullet would shoot out. My guess is it would be worth some serious cash now.

rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member