SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Test flew the tidewater. I am very impressed how it flies! It does a better waterfall than any of my gas 3d planes! I do feel though for my style of flying I want to upgrade the esc so I can run a 4s battery in it. I like how there is plenty of room in the inside for a battery.

The plane is also very easy to land and take off in water along with steering in the water.
I flew in about 10-15 mph winds and she handle well in the winds.
Sounds good! I agree, it handles the winds and the water pretty well!

Do you have a new motor picked out for 4S or will the stock motor handle the 4S battery?

One thing I did notice was my 30A ESC getting very hot inside the foam hull. Makes sense with no cooling... I may add an external heatsink just to be safe.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2013, 06:25 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Sounds good! I agree, it handles the winds and the water pretty well!

Do you have a new motor picked out for 4S or will the stock motor handle the 4S battery?

One thing I did notice was my 30A ESC getting very hot inside the foam hull. Makes sense with no cooling... I may add an external heatsink just to be safe.
Have not check into a motor for the 4s setup. I need to read up on what the current motor can take.

Thanks for letting me know about the esc. I will check it after I fly it next time.
Sukhoikid is online now Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old May 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
773 Posts
Fly-Zone Tidewater Go Pro (3 min 33 sec)

Go Pro video from today's flight.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:02 AM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HhYlKkzjbc

Go Pro video from today's flight.
Nice video! The lake was dead calm!

Where did you mount your go pro on the plane to keep the CG correct? I would like to do the same.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2013, 08:41 AM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Nice video! The lake was dead calm!

Where did you mount your go pro on the plane to keep the CG correct? I would like to do the same.
I was kind of scared to mount it in the very front as it might be too nose heavy. I also didnt want to mount it on the hatch as I was unsure if the hatch would hold on with the extra weight on it. So I decided to peel the windshield decals off and mount it on the windshield. You have to make sure you take the decals off to stick the go pro mount on though.

I think the hatch would work, but if your wanting to do aerobatics with the plane then you might need to tape the hatch down.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgamma View Post
First connect your batt. then "before" you mount the prop and adapter apply gradual throttle while holding 2 or 3 fingers on the outside of motor. While it's spinning slightly press and see what happens. The motor should have more force than what you want to feel without your fingers getting hot from the friction.
My motors would barely get cranked up good then start jerking and you can tell something is not right internally.
I also checked the 2 small allen screws. They should be facing the flat spots on the shaft.
Let me know if it happens with yours.
Talked to motionrc.com and they sent me a new motor! I explained what was happening and they sent one to me right away. No charge. All is good and I really enjoy the plane now.
Highly recommend them.
flgamma is offline Find More Posts by flgamma
Old May 13, 2013, 08:33 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
773 Posts
Tried a old battery I had at the house....It did not last long lol
Fly-Zone Tidewater Low Battery Landing (2 min 1 sec)
Old May 13, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Apr 2013
223 Posts
I'd love to get the tidewater as a second plane, but the lack of ailerons has me bummed

Any recommendations for similar planes WITH aileron control?

EDIT: doh, disregard - looks like the tidewater DOES have ailerons?!?
netarc is offline Find More Posts by netarc
Old May 13, 2013, 10:47 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Might want to look again as the Tidewater is a full house 4 channel plane.
Ailerons, elevator, rudder, and throttle. And yes she can roll
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old May 14, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Apr 2013
223 Posts
How easily removed/stored are the wings on the tidewater? Do they have to be glued together upon install, or can they be seperated and packed up for storage?
netarc is offline Find More Posts by netarc
Old May 14, 2013, 12:46 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,404 Posts
The wing is one big wing, does not have sections. It can easily be removed from the fuselage with one screw but you will have to disconnect the servo lead to the receiver and the 3 wires going to the ESC. Download the manual and look at the pictures/text.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old May 14, 2013, 01:30 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,241 Posts
I agree with GBR2 - the tidewater is very easy to take off the wing or even the stabilizer section. Everything is connected with screws and no glue! Very easy to transport in a car I would think!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2013, 01:34 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgamma View Post
Talked to motionrc.com and they sent me a new motor! I explained what was happening and they sent one to me right away. No charge. All is good and I really enjoy the plane now.
Highly recommend them.
Sounds good!
I had a bad ESC on mine but the Flyzone factory actually sent me a replacement ESC very quickly!! It is so nice to tell with a reputable manufacturer!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2013, 07:11 AM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
773 Posts
At Joe Nall with mine!
Old May 15, 2013, 03:18 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,722 Posts
Hi folks, new to the thread and new to flying off of water.

I picked this plane up at my LHS for $150 a couple of days ago. I already have the Flyzone Beaver and I have been very pleased with the way it flies, so I am hoping the Tidewater is as good.
I have only flown the Beaver off of grass so far, I am looking for a lake nearby big enough to fly it from.

There is a small lake very near my house that I think I will be able to fly the Tidewater from.

I put the plane together and the quality of the foam and the engineering seem on par with the Beaver, so hats off to Flyzone for that. The included prop is way out of balance. The spinner seems a bit larger than it needs to be and it probably doesn't help with the prop balance issue.

I flew the plane from grass with a Zinger wood 9X5 prop and Great Planes 1 3/4 inch spinner yesterday. I am pleased to report it flies great. I flew twice, six minutes with a 2200 battery, mostly around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Only put about 1300 back in the battery and the motor, ESC and battery were cool at the end of each flight.

I'm thinking the smaller spinner allows more air over the motor, and since the wood prop doesn't flatten out at high RPMs like a slow fly prop, you don't need to spend much time at high throttle settings.

I think I'll test it with an 8X6X3 next week. I don't think it should over tax the power system, but I'll put a watt meter on it to make sure.

Now if the wind would stop blowing at 15 - 20 MPH here, I'm ready to try my hand at flying off of water.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan