HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Discussion
Mini CP Setup - Newbie

Hey all,
Ive been struggling to get any real flight time with my first CP. This was expected and I'm still having a great time. Very durable little bird! I found some advice on a docile setup to get used to it:

change your elevator and aileron dual rate to 60% and +30% expo and pitch curve in normal L = 0, M=0, H=70% These settings will make your heli very, very docile. if it feels too tame then just adjust in 5% increments until it is to your liking.

These settings are much gentler than the stock, but it seems to really jet upwards at about 65% throttle. These bursts of lift always seem to throw me off and send me down after I panic (still trying to get comfortable!). How do I fix this on my Devo7E? I really appreciate the help guys
ajohnson677 is offline Find More Posts by ajohnson677
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:46 AM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
You can adjust the pitch curve down a little bit near that stick position.

For example in NORM:

Pitch 45-48-50-75-100
change to:
Pitch 45-48-50-70-95 or maybe 45-48-50-65-90

You get the idea?

You could also keep stock pitch curves and limit the total pitch in the ccpm menu. There many ways to alter pitch.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Thanks for tips, I actually did pretty well in the park this morning. I ran through 3 batteries and managed to stay in the air for an entire pack although I was fairly out of control at times. I currently have my receiver pot set at the 11 o'clock position, which from what I understand is the highest gyro setting, my dual rates at 70% and expo at 35%. My biggest problem this morning was losing control after rudder input and following that with way too much cyclic when attempting a correction. I was very soft on the sticks but my corrections didn't seem to have much effect until I really got on it and I felt like that only compounded my problems. Should I raise my rates, lower my expo, or both? I know I need it to be more responsive but I don't want it too twitchy or quick. Do I need to lower my gyro rate on the receiver?

Another question, am I supposed to put in opposite cyclic when using the rudder or should I be pushing it the direction I'm turning? It was hard to tell exactly what it wanted but it seemed like I was better off adding some right cyclic when turning either way. I also felt like I needed put in some backwards to keep it from going into a fast sweeping turn. Am I correct or even on the right track here?

Also, I noticed a "clicking" noise at random points during flight but it didn't seem to bog me down or throw the heli off course. Could this be my battery connector occasionally brushing against the main gear?

As always, the help is greatly appreciated.
ajohnson677 is offline Find More Posts by ajohnson677
Last edited by ajohnson677; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added another question
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
mini cp

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixheli View Post
You can adjust the pitch curve down a little bit near that stick position.

For example in NORM:

Pitch 45-48-50-75-100
change to:
Pitch 45-48-50-70-95 or maybe 45-48-50-65-90

You get the idea?

You could also keep stock pitch curves and limit the total pitch in the ccpm menu. There many ways to alter pitch.
do you know how to get rx out of test mode?
mrblueheli is offline Find More Posts by mrblueheli
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:07 AM
High VulTAge
Joined Apr 2013
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblueheli View Post
do you know how to get rx out of test mode?
Not sure what test mode you speak of,.. but I am assuming you mean that the light on the RX is blinking and the heli just spins if you try to take off? That is the gyro % in the TX, Normally channel 7/aux2 if that number is <51 then heading hold is turned off. I think they called this Test mode in one of the manuals. I believe the setting should be 78 but you can adjust for feel.

"corrections didn't seem to have much effect until I really got on it" I think that this is because of your Expo setting. Try 20 or even 15. +Expo will make it so you have to move the stick more to move the servo less, near center, however, this also makes the sticks move the servos more near endpoints. I like linear with no expo or
-Expo which makes the controls more touchy around center stick. Use the DR setting to control how far the servos move, or how much the swashplate tips. You may want to stick to around 70 at least until you start flipping. As for the touchiness up and down (collective) You can do a couple of things. you could try making the throttle curve roll off flat above mid stick. That would make it so Only the pitch is creating lift, and not pitch along with more throttle. Opposite that, you could set a straight line pitch curve of a bit positive and use the headspeed to give lift. basically making the CP into a Fixed Pitch heli. Either way once you get used to it,... the stock settings are pretty good, so work your way back to them. I am running my Pitch curve at -50 to +50 instead of the stock 60. I Always make mid stick 0 pitch even in normal mode.

Before flying,... put collective stick to 0 pitch,..(mid stick) with Throttle Hold on. put the blades together. they should be lined up at the same height. If they are not,.. then your linkage may need adjustment. You can go into the SUB TRIM and change ch 6 Pitch. until the blades are the same height. Now,.. 0 pitch on the TX is actually 0 pitch. I am tired, and feel like I am just rambeling on,... so I hope this helps. I got my first Mini CP 6 months ago, and now have 3 or them. I have many tips tricks and pointers on this lil bird, and I love it! so if you are wondering anything else, or I wasn't clear, let me know.
Vultage is offline Find More Posts by Vultage