HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:31 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
any thoughts on using the Hobbyking 3axis gyros to help on those "difficult" designs?

looking forward to the B.. and an E

and still looking for a romulan Warbird to go with my -D
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:13 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
30" x 48" isn't all that big. My Harrier is about that big but none of my stuff is full fuse. I have been thinking a lot about making a 6' Diameter Full Fuse Enterprise-D as a 1/4 Scale model.

A friend of mine has gotten so serious about RC that he bought a 5' x 10' enclosed trailer just for going to the RC field.

I have never like the idea of Gyros for planes. You should be able to make them stable enough to fly straight and if it won't stop flying straight, large control surfaces with big throws can make anything go the way you want

I have a design for a Romulan Warbird. Every once in a while i look at it and consider dusting off the design and building it. The big problem i had is, I wanted to keep the curved wings but that makes Ailerons hard to do... that whole curved moving surface thing...
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Last edited by SGTalon; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

One of the longest tasks I had on this build was cutting out the depron. Went though a lot of Exacto blades My friend John who is building the big A model blew up the plans and then created the templates. Lots of tracing. Now that was great for the sections I was utilizing from the A model but when it came to the B, I was doing a lot of tracing. All along the build I had my plastic B model as a guide.
PaulDaniel is offline Find More Posts by PaulDaniel
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:24 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
I don't use Xacto anymore. I just buy Single Sided Razor Blades. Got a nice 200 piece dispenser to keep in my field box.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:56 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
Well, I believe SGTalon has the D model nailed, and the A model is looking promising. Are there 3 views for the B and C models? What about NX01 of the Enterprise series? It has some nice lines and looks like it would be a good flyer. Been watching the series with my Amazon Prime account.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
I don't use Xacto anymore. I just buy Single Sided Razor Blades. Got a nice 200 piece dispenser to keep in my field box.
Good idea especially since they are a lot cheaper.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Well, I believe SGTalon has the D model nailed, and the A model is looking promising. Are there 3 views for the B and C models? What about NX01 of the Enterprise series? It has some nice lines and looks like it would be a good flyer. Been watching the series with my Amazon Prime account.

Ken
I did find some for the B model. I did a Google search of the Enterprise B and selected images and found a bunch. I bet you could also find some for the C but might have to look harder since it only appeared once in STNG. It is cool though.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

One of the items I wanted on have that would make my Enterprise B more B-ish was the lettering. I looked through all my fonts and didn't find anything close. So I went searching not wanting to pay for a font since they can cost anywhere from $60 up. I found the font to be named Jeffries, yup, that one on one of the Trek sites and it was free...free is good. So I downloaded it and put it in my font collection and created this lettering. I have the lettering correct so now what I'll do is go back in Photoshop and add the red outline. Bada Bing, Bada Boom. It's all coming together. The next time you will see this will be on the finished model.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:37 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
Hey Paul,

My friend Rasterize does all of my skins and decals for my designs. I am sure he could whip up a decal kit for your -B pretty fast. Just a matter of swapping the -D for a -B on most of the decals.

I will send him an e-mail to direct him this way
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
30" x 48" isn't all that big. My Harrier is about that big but none of my stuff is full fuse. I have been thinking a lot about making a 6' Diameter Full Fuse Enterprise-D as a 1/4 Scale model.

A friend of mine has gotten so serious about RC that he bought a 5' x 10' enclosed trailer just for going to the RC field.

I have never like the idea of Gyros for planes. You should be able to make them stable enough to fly straight and if it won't stop flying straight, large control surfaces with big throws can make anything go the way you want

I have a design for a Romulan Warbird. Every once in a while i look at it and consider dusting off the design and building it. The big problem i had is, I wanted to keep the curved wings but that makes Ailerons hard to do... that whole curved moving surface thing...
We thought of making it that big but none of us has a trailer. Maybe someday
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

I love it when a plan comes together. Here are samples of the lettering with the red outline. They started out in Photoshop Elements but since it doesn't have all the stuff needed to finish them, and I only know enough to be dangerous about PS a friend of mine helped out. I think we're going to go the route my friend John did on his first Enterprise when he printed them out on tissue paper and then used a glue stick to attach them. I'm open to suggestions though. Keep in mind that the depron will flex some.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:27 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
I did the NX-o1. It being shorter coupled made for eas of ballance. I did have to add ailerons aft of the rear spar and use the tailerons on the naccel supports as elevator only . Landing where tricky, didn't want to glide much. Never did get any paint on it. Maybe I should pull it out of retirement.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:02 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
I did the NX-o1. It being shorter coupled made for eas of ballance. I did have to add ailerons aft of the rear spar and use the tailerons on the naccel supports as elevator only . Landing where tricky, didn't want to glide much. Never did get any paint on it. Maybe I should pull it out of retirement.
Did you create some plans?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:04 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
No. just built it from picks
and a few odds and ends.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:26 AM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

I like that ship and the good thing if you and a buddy were doing a build together they would not both have to be Enterprises. In the show, which I think went off the air too soon, there was an episode where her sister ship, the Columbia, appeared.