HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:45 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,113 Posts
Discussion
UPDATE- SB71 killed!! Now its personal, Oregon Senate bill 71 to criminalize "drones"

Update 4/24/2013 Ding dong the bill is dead! http://roswellflighttestcrew.typepad...l-is-dead.html
supposedly they will be trying to revive this next year, so this is not over, but we've won this round!

UPDATE 3/15/2013 We've lost our first battle. It is now illegal to fly a drone in Conoy Township, Lancaster County Pennsylvania (vaguely defined as "the operation of remote controlled or other non-tethered aircraft over property not owned by the operator and without the permission of the property owner.") its time to start spreading the word that these laws have the potential to heavily impact all RC flight.

http://fox43.com/2013/03/14/conoy-to...#axzz2NZ6tmpcd

http://www.abc27.com/story/21647690/...conoy-township

UPDATE 3/1/2013 Important information from Deamon, from post #476
Those listed in red are a threat to our hobby, those in black only affect Government agencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
20 States with proposed anti-UAV legislation http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter.com/drones/

Working my way west to east through the proposed bills. Here are my notes.
Washington HB1771: affects public agencies only
Oregon SB71: Overly broad and could ban possession as well as use of UAVs capable of imaging
Montana: SB150 - Very narrow scope, prohibiting armed drones
Idaho SB1067 and SB1051: overly broad, can't image people or property, farms etc..
California AB1327 Sneaky section 14354. (a) .. covers everyone and prohibits imaging of anyone without consent
North Dakota: HB1373 - covers public agencies but language still a little sketchy. Public agency may not authorize use or grant permit to surveil persons engaged lawful exercise of freedom of speech, but that means private entiies may not be able to surveil police crackdowns on the same, because they have to obtain a permit to march or demonstrate in public places.
Texas HB 912 - Covers everyone, prohibits imaging of private property, except by LEOs with warrant.. etc. Let's call it the "Protect my buddies at the meat packing plant who dump blood in the river and don't want the public to find out about it" Bill.
Nebraska LB412 - scope limited to public agencies
Oklahoma HB1566 - UAV operation banned outright, except by law enforcement. Incidental overflight exception for LEOs, but very very limited.
Iowa SF276 - scope covers only public agencies
Missouri HB46 - covers everyone. Same as Idaho SB1067. Identical language
" No person, entity, or state agency shall use a drone or other unmanned aircraft to conduct surveillance of any individual, property owned by an individual, farm, or agricultural industry without the consent of that individual, property owner, farm or agricultural industry."
Indiana SB0020 - Nasty, but has an amateur exception at end of Section 3.
"The term does not include the use of an unmanned aerial vehicle solely for recreational or hobby purposes."
Illinois SB1587 - Scope covers law enforcement only
Tennessee SB796 - Scope covers law enforcement only
Kentucky HB454 - Scope covers law enforcement only
South Carolina S 0395 - Scope covers state and local agencies only
Florida SB 92 - Scope covers law enforcement only
Virginia HB 2012 - Scope covers state and local law enforcement
Massachusetts H.1357 - Scope covers state and local government entities
S.1664 - Scope covers state and local government entities
Maine LD236 - Scope covers law enforcement only

When a bill defines the term "surveillance" it is usually very overly broad and easily
encompasses what most of us do with our FPV aircraft "capture of images",
and none of these bills have exceptions for incidental capture of images/video
except as it applies to targeted surveillance by LEOs, specifying that
incidental surveillance may not be used as evidence in court.

ian
Original post 1/31/2013

Its time to fight for our rights! This is scary to say the least. Very broad and basically makes every one of us a criminal for even owning an FPV aircraft, in Oregon.

"Imposes restrictions on use of drones by private parties and public entities....“Drone” means an unmanned flying machine that is capable of:
(a) Capturing images of objects or people on the ground or in the air...A person who possesses or controls a drone in violation of subsection (1) of this section
commits a Class B misdemeanor. (3) A person who possesses or controls a drone in violation of subsection (1) of this section and uses the drone to capture an image of a person or object on the ground or in the air commits a Class A misdemeanor....."

Our worst nightmare, I guess I'm glad I'm not living in Oregon anymore or I'd be going ape@&^% right about now

http://roswellflighttestcrew.typepad...-got-real.html

http://www.leg.state.or.us/13reg/mea...0071.intro.pdf
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Last edited by aaronredbaron; Apr 24, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:53 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous on so many levels. Just another reason why I despise politicians and just about every other kind of party pooper out there.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:07 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,936 Posts
I hate politicians. When will America sack up and come together and throw all those $&^#@ out of office?
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:25 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,530 Posts
A misdemeanor?? For flying an rc aircraft? Jesus, its the same category as drunk driving which to me atleast is a far more "risky" endeavor.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,936 Posts
Just another example of old debbie downer baby boomers creating laws to prohibit things they know nothing about. Just like all the idiots crying about gun control and trying to get certain models of guns banned.

I wish all the current politicians would catch some sort of beastman aids and all die at the same exact time.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:28 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
This is so stupid!
That would mean the air hogs helicopters will get you fined for having them.
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Drunk driving kills a ton of people every year. Clearly, foamies with GoPro cameras are just as bad. Little kids flying their AR.Drones with their iPods? Criminals the whole bunch, send them to prison.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,936 Posts
Every year three-hundred-million babies are killed by LAdybird's with 808 keychain cams. This must be stopped.

Innocent till proven guilty??? No, you must pay fines and fees and jump through hoops with paperwork to be considered innocent!
Last edited by TurboRacer; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
Dang Congress are trying to control everything. Ya'll should move down south, we hate the government. Haha
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Last edited by Wrice4; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:10 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,956 Posts
The baby boomers are America's worst generation. Ironic that they are the offspring of our best.

If we can survive until they are dead and buried we have a chance. Personally I give us one chance in 10.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:17 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
With our current administration we will be seeing stuff like this more and more.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:50 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
What if 100 fpv'ers flew in Oregon from across the state line... lol
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:13 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
Hahaha
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,936 Posts
hahaa.. That would be hilarious.. If I lived close, I would build a rig just to do that. Great idea.

Is this law in effect already? Or is it looking to get signed?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:24 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Well, this is just great news..... Gotta love Oregon, the only state that makes RC planes a crime. That should be our new slogan.
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member