HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:39 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lol I was just thinking that. Just because its new doesn't mean its bad. Signal strength alone is a good thing to have. Those running glow/meth get a friggin gas gauge. I can't tell you how many times I wished I knew how much fuel I had left as a kid learning to fly. Of course now I'm switching to gasoline and the gauges won't read that either haha.

Scotty, I do not know the detailed developments in your country but, when I read this, your words: " Signal strength alone is a good thing to have I " than I wonder what is happening in your modeling world: Are you busy whit some kind of reverse engineering? During my 45 years of model flying I never needed a signal strength meter even I did start to use my own designed telemetry systems about 35 years ago. The commercial systems were available in Europe about 20 years ago!!
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Oh I understand it is a luxury, but when the cost is about the same I'll go for the luxury. $50 for a FrSky module and receiver, $50 for a Turnigy 9x or XR... vs $500+ for an Aurora or jeebus knows how much for a Futaba/JR.

I do like the idea of a LED or light for a low fuel indication though. Is there some sort of sensor system you can buy or is that something you just DIY?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ge_Sensor.html
FloridaFlyBob is online now Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:59 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
I have a fuel gauge on my wrist everytime I fly..works with glow or gas has both a digital and analog read out ...it even talks to be it says tic toc
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:07 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,419 Posts
+1 to Casio
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I have a fuel gauge on my wrist everytime I fly..works with glow or gas has both a digital and analog read out ...it even talks to be it says tic toc
Jetmech, was this you wrote? 2007!

I've been in RC for a few years now been an instructor, and a trainning commette chairman...so I KNOW I mean I really really KNOW.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...58&postcount=1

On RCU there was G-Pete playing same games with "Old School". Now he is playing my screen saver, run out of gas!!
Taurus Flyer.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:44 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,976 Posts
Quote:
Indeed, did you know that Rolex now has a luxury version ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Indeed, did you know that Rolex now has a luxury version ?
Vacuum activated?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:22 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
Tauris I wrote that, why?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,973 Posts
Quote:

Indeed Jet, you wrote:

In another thread you wrote:
I don't time....But I seem to know when I'm getting low on gas....as a rule dead sticking is not a god thing...as once you're dead stick you are going to land, no going around....

I think you want attention but don't have the know-how to contribute.

Taurus Flyer
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:20 AM
Soldotna, Alaska
Joined Nov 2009
13 Posts
What do we do with the telemetry data collected? We can use fuel left in real time! That's good. GPS? Some times I'm not sure where I'm flying, when I'm not sure where I've been it's good to have a look see on the telemetry gizmo. Oh yea you can show your wife where you have been all day. That's good. You might be able to sell your data to NASA. YUP WE NEED IT.
swiftbill is offline Find More Posts by swiftbill
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:26 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
My my watching my every word..was that 6 years ago? things change....any reason for the attack Taurus?
I still don't time. what I was getting at is I have a watch and a timer on my transmitter if I choose to use it. I still don't see the need for telemetry.
Last edited by jetmech05; Apr 14, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:02 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,291 Posts
Temperature monitoring can be useful information on gas or electric. If you are engineering your own setups you should know what temps you are running.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,689 Posts
I have built in telemetry for receiver battery in my Aurora Tranny. Look at it prior to launch and when I get back. Beats hooking up a meter and reading the voltage. I see no other reason for the other stuff unless one wants more toys to play with.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
For all the telemetry bashing, here's a positive opinion:

I use telemetry to monitor engine temps and RPMs. While this is not essential (some would say luxury), I do find that it is very helpful in the initial stages of setting an airplane up as well as keeping an eye on the health of an engine.

By monitoring the temps you can tell if the engine is overheating or if you need to add baffling to increase cooling. By monitoring the RPMs, you can tell if your engine is over-lean or over-rich. In addition to monitoring the engine it is just one more safety factor when you aren't sticking your hands with a tach close to the spinning prop.

And yes, it is true that a lot of people could care less about these uses, for some these are not optional.

Just my two cents.

Jimmy
jspauld2 is offline Find More Posts by jspauld2